Advice on sailing my Mac26M to Bahamas from Florida

Use this forum to announce, plan, and discuss events, cruises, regattas, shows, sailing destinations, events your club is planning, etc.
Markoliver
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Advice on sailing my Mac26M to Bahamas from Florida

Post by Markoliver »

Hello everyone
I live in TN, but plan on towing my boat to Miami in June 2017 and sailing it to the Bahamas, I have a new red jib sail with black UV lines and a 2012 Yamaha F50 with a 60 hp gears on the prop per the Yamaha dealership, and a new LOWRANCE elite 5 gps. I am hoping to use my iPhone and iPad for weather and extra gps if needed. I am taking extra gas also. What else do I need to be prepared for because my wife will go if I plan and prepare everything well? I plan to leave about 6 am and motor through the Gulf Stream and then sail the rest of the way, but will motor more if I ain't making good time. Like to be looking at Bahamas islands after 6 hours, then sail the rest of the way.
Catigale
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Re: Advice on sailing my Mac26M to Bahamas from Florida

Post by Catigale »

Build your sailing resume until you have at least 10 days handling your boat under sail and motor in heavy seas, not crazy but not pleasant. That's a big water crossing and the most important part is making the call on the weather window before you even depart
Sciencelooker

Post by Sciencelooker »

The Gulf stream current flows from South to North between Florida and Bimini. If the winds have any northern component (ex. east north east) it causes huge waves in the stream. Most people wait for a time when a south wind knocks these waves down. It makes planning in advance difficult. Also, those sailing across usually leave from Key Largo area and head east while the current pushes them north toward Bimini. Weather can change quickly in the stream. Even a small thunderstorm can generate its own winds causing the big waves to emerge very fast. Since you have the M boat, you might consider using the engine to make the crossing in just a few hours to limit the amount of time you are exposed to the unpredictable environment of the stream. Once on the Bahama Banks, sail away.
Chinook
Admiral

Post by Chinook »

My first crossing to the Bahamas, West Palm Beach to West End, I figured on running full throttle to minimize time out on the open Atlantic. We were heavily loaded for an 8 week trip. Started out in the dark into the Gulf Stream (around 3:30am), ballast tanks filled, and could only do 8 knots full throttle (50 hp engine). This was due to how heavy we were, plus having to angle a bit to the south at start to compensate for Gulf Stream northward drift. I burned through 12 gallons of gas in the first 24 miles, only about 1/3 of the way across. I switched tanks, dropped my speed down to 5.5 knots, ran out a jib sail, and arrived at West End with 7 gallons to spare. Lesson learned. You definitely want to have ballast tanks filled out there, and with lots of gear and provisions on board, plus Gulf Stream current, you can't count on the speed you usually make on your local lake on a nice sunny summer afternoon. If the chop comes up, you'll find running at high speed to be very uncomfortable. You'll pound, which gets old fast. In my view you're much better off cruising at hull speed, around 6 knots. If you have any amount of breeze, run out your jib at a minimum, and both sails if you have enough wind. With 10 knots out of the south, you'll have the greatest reach sail of your life. Another benefit of traveling at 6 knots, you're running at the perfect speed for trolling a jig, and you're crossing some of the finest mahi mahi fishing waters anywhere. If you travel at the slower speed, it will take longer getting across, so you should think about leaving earlier than 6am. I like taking off at 3am, which enables arrival in early to mid afternoon, when the sun is high. You're on visual navigation in the Bahamas, and water color is key. Don't count on aids to navigation. You should definitely plan on picking up the Explorer Chart for the part of the Bahamas you'll be in. Also, a current Bahamas cruising guide is advisable. If you go anywhere further east than Bimini, getting up to date weather info will be a problem. I recommend picking up a hand held portable single side band radio receiver. A guy named Tom Parker, located in Florida, broadcasts Bahama weather forecast 6 days a week at 8:30am. If you know his frequency, you can tune in and get critical weather info. Ipad is fine, if you have cell phone service, but don't count on it when away from the towns. For cell service, check that your phone is not locked for installing a Batelco sim card. That's the most cost effective way to get cell and data service in the Bahamas. Sim cards can be purchased at any Batelco office, and they're located in most Bahama communities. It's very wide open and exposed out there, and very reassuring to know what's coming, weather wise. Pick up a yellow Q flag, along with the Bahamian courtesy flag. Most cruisers use them. Consider the process of clearing back into the states. We registered with the Small Vessel Reporting System, which is used by many in Florida. It's a pain to get set up at first, but it saves on hassles at the end of your trip, since you can clear back in with just a phone call, instead of a taxi ride to the nearest airport with a Customs office. Good luck with the trip. The Bahamas offer some of the most outstanding cruising waters we've ever been on. Be safe, and have fun.
Divecoz
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: PORT CHARLOTTE FLORIDA 05 M Mercury 50 H.P. Big Foot Bill at Boats 4 Sail is my Hero

Post by Divecoz »

Tomorrow is July 31st.. Did you make the trip? Are you still in the Bahama's??
Markoliver wrote:Hello everyone
I live in TN, but plan on towing my boat to Miami in June 2017 and sailing it to the Bahamas, I have a new red jib sail with black UV lines and a 2012 Yamaha F50 with a 60 hp gears on the prop per the Yamaha dealership, and a new LOWRANCE elite 5 gps. I am hoping to use my iPhone and iPad for weather and extra gps if needed. I am taking extra gas also. What else do I need to be prepared for because my wife will go if I plan and prepare everything well? I plan to leave about 6 am and motor through the Gulf Stream and then sail the rest of the way, but will motor more if I ain't making good time. Like to be looking at Bahamas islands after 6 hours, then sail the rest of the way.