Thinking of Circumnavigating - Vancouver Island, that is

Use this forum to announce, plan, and discuss events, cruises, regattas, shows, sailing destinations, events your club is planning, etc.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Phil M
Captain
Sailboat: Other

Re: Thinking of Circumnavigating - Vancouver Island, that is

Post by Phil M » Wed May 01, 2019 9:02 pm

I haven't been on this board for almost 2 years - since I sold my MacGregor and my son and I upgraded to a larger sailboat. we are finally just going to go to the west side of Vancouver Island in June. And you are going to circumnavigate? Good for you. I will have to try and follow. :) Phil

Chinook
Admiral

Post by Chinook » Wed May 01, 2019 9:56 pm

What does your cruising plan look like? What portion of the west coast of the island do you plan to visit? We've been up as far as Hot Springs Cove, cruising out of Port Angeles, on the outside. It was rough going north, especially between Ucluelet and Tofino, but the trip back south was very smooth. We'll be doing our circumnavigation counterclockwise, as is customary.

Phil M
Captain

Post by Phil M » Thu May 02, 2019 10:35 am

We will be starting out from Saanich Inlet up through Juan de fu@ to Barclay Sound. We have never been that way before. We have a time limit of around 2 weeks or so and a limit that involves two small children. In selling my MacGregor I had to compromise.

Chinook
Admiral

Post by Chinook » Thu May 02, 2019 11:36 am

Hi Phil,

Your plans sound great. You should love Barkley Sound and the Broken Islands. On your way up, you may decided to spend a night at Port Renfrew, which is about the only place to pause between Sooke and Ucluelet. Not a lot of protected anchorages there, but we did find a nice Mac nook behind Woods Nose, which gave nice protection. If it's empty, you should probably be able to fit in there. If so, be sure to go ashore on the narrow gravel beach. You'll find a short (1/4 mile) path into the forest, about mid point on the beach. May be a bit of flagging to mark it. If you walk this path you'll hit a paved road. Turn right and walk the road for 15 minutes to a beautiful provincial park. Lots of trails along the shore, and there are some amazing tide pools out on the flat rocky shelf.

Phil M
Captain

Post by Phil M » Thu May 02, 2019 2:29 pm

Part of the crew will be a three year old and a five year old so parks and trails and tidal pools are definitely on the agenda. Thanks. :)

Chinook
Admiral

Post by Chinook » Thu May 16, 2019 3:42 pm

I took the boat out first time this season, for a shakedown cruise prior to the mid-June circumnavigation of Vancouver Island. Put in on the mid-Columbia River, on the Wanapum Pool a little downriver from Wenatchee. It's a pretty stretch of river, roadless on both sides, and with steep basalt cliffs lining much of the river banks. The repaired autopilot worked just fine. I also checked out the cross over valve which connects my new pair of 18 gallon aluminum fuel tanks. They work just fine. It was a good chance to get my cruising buddy familiarized with the boat. As near as I can tell, all systems are operating properly, so now it's time to give the boat a good cleaning inside and out, and finalize provisioning and packing over the next couple of weeks. June 16 is the departure date. This cruise should take us into some great waters.

KootsChewt
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Kootenay Lake, Nelson, BC, Canada [2008 26M, 20hp Merc 4-str, bought Sep '16, Mountain Bluebird]

Post by KootsChewt » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:50 pm

Looking forward to following your updates Chinook :) We'll be in the Ucluelet area June 18-21, but I don't think you'll be around that far yet!

Chinook
Admiral

Post by Chinook » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:18 pm

No, we'll be on the other side of the island then, just starting to head up the inside route. We plan to leave the dock in Oak Harbor on Monday, June 16, and won't get around to Ucluelet until late July. I'll begin posting the trip, as wifi connection permits, in a couple of weeks.