Thinking of Circumnavigating - Vancouver Island, that is

Use this forum to announce, plan, and discuss events, cruises, regattas, shows, sailing destinations, events your club is planning, etc.
yukonbob
Admiral
Sailboat: Other

Re: Thinking of Circumnavigating - Vancouver Island, that is

Post by yukonbob »

With a NW wind ti woudl be a great trip. biggest concern would be a building swell opposing an ebb tide on a narrow inlet or anchorage. Would make it interesting getting into some tighter spots, but pretty limited. Best part is, if you run out of time or get weathered in, you can always tie up in a town with a ramp, go get the trailer and pull it back to the other side.
BOAT
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by BOAT »

yukonbob wrote:With a NW wind ti woudl be a great trip. biggest concern would be a building swell opposing an ebb tide on a narrow inlet or anchorage. Would make it interesting getting into some tighter spots, but pretty limited. Best part is, if you run out of time or get weathered in, you can always tie up in a town with a ramp, go get the trailer and pull it back to the other side.
Back in the olden days a sail from San Diego to Newport was dangerous because there was no harbor between the two ports. It required 80 miles of sailing so much of it was in the dark. Many small craft were shipwrecked and lives lost making the trip - then in the 1960's the Corp of Engineers helped research the feasibility of some small safe harbors in between those two large places and Dana Point and Oceanside Small Craft Harbor got created. Many lives were saved. Now you are never more than a 6 hour sail from any harbor along the So Cal coast.

It's scary if you know the closest safe harbor is over 24 hours away - your going to be really tired when you get there. You guys should use the motor on that Vancouver Island trip.
yukonbob
Admiral

Post by yukonbob »

Worst part would be around Cape Scott. That'll be the longest stretch with no where to hide should it turn, maybe 60-70 mile stretch at most. It would make for a long day with motoring in the morning when the winds are calm (making an assumption that you'll choose a fairly mild weather window here) and if lucky some sailing in the afternoon to round the cape and start the downwind leg; and as long as the winds don't shift a 180 there are a number of places a shallow draft boat could easily hide out right around Scott. Watch for a weather window and go for it 8)
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

Man, you guys are right on the edge of my boundaries for sailing - 80 miles - that's what we used to do crossing the Sea of Cortez back in the 1970's - and it always involved some night sailing - that's why I really want 'boat' outfitted for sailing 100 miles offshore - it would not really require a big modification - all you need is a way to steer the boat from a dry location and a stronger rudder (and I think a rudder attached to the outboard would solve that part of the problem) and about 10 more gallons of gas - with that I would make the trip in a heartbeat - but there is nothing worse than being out in the cold and wet trying to steer a boat in a bad sea - it will wear you down to a pulp in a matter of hours - and then break a rudder and your really sunk.

I am more scared of the sea than I am of ending up on the rocks - most of the guys I have read about and know that ended up on the rocks survived - it's the guys that went down out at sea you never hear from again.
Chinook
Admiral

Post by Chinook »

From what I've been reading, there are some good strategies for rounding Cape Scott. Bull Harbour is the usual jumping off place, and it's only 20 miles from the Cape. Just around the corner there is a good sheltering cove called Guise Bay, which affords good protection from anything except a southerly. Also, Sea Otter Cove is just 7 miles past Cape Scott, and it provides protection from winds in all directions. The biggest challenge at Cape Scott seems to be the fact that currents can run in different directions, depending on which side of the Cape you're on. That means that it's really hard to completely avoid a wind against current steep chop. Even 12 knots of wind against a 2 knot current can be nasty. We'll be watching those weather reports closely when we draw near to Cape Scott.
Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

yukonbob wrote:I think there are uhh...smaller things to worry about...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7pViEXVCjcA

Same thing happened up here a number of years back near point Adolphus, boat sunk in minutes, thankfully there were fishing vessels watching at the time.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/lowres.jantoo. ... 33_low.jpg

J 8)
Phil M
Captain

Post by Phil M »

Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

It would b rough out there today the winds r blowing & gusting like crazy starting too settle down a bit now , maybe I,ll take some pic,s if I get a chance ! LOL
Retirement is such a busy life style who,d have known :)
J 8)
Highlander
Admiral

Post by Highlander »

well might b a little breezy out there today Eh. !

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/al ... a/victoria

J 8)
Highlander
Admiral

Post by Highlander »

Hi Chinook
we r having some really nice weather here now for a while did or have u departed on this adventurous circumnavigation yet !

John 8)
Chinook
Admiral

Post by Chinook »

Hi John,

We had some family issues come up and had to postpone the trip. Instead we did a few days over on Hood Canal and then a week in the San Juans with the grandkids. Still hoping to go around the island, but it's on hold for now. I'm hoping next year it will become possible. Yes, the weather lately has been fantastic. Just my luck, next summer will probably be stormy and rainy.
dlandersson
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by dlandersson »

Vancouver Island, North American Great Loop - pretty much the same thing. :P
Highlander
Admiral

Post by Highlander »

Chinook wrote:Hi John,

We had some family issues come up and had to postpone the trip. Instead we did a few days over on Hood Canal and then a week in the San Juans with the grandkids. Still hoping to go around the island, but it's on hold for now. I'm hoping next year it will become possible. Yes, the weather lately has been fantastic. Just my luck, next summer will probably be stormy and rainy.
I hear u
since i moved out here trying to recommission the boat & get her re organized has turned out to b a long process due to one of the worse winters here in 12 yrs & a very wet & long cold spring so have now just consoled myself to cleaning up the boat & finishing off some uncompleted mods & complete some long overdue maint. inspections & hopefully git some sailing in lol

J 8)
Phil M
Captain

Post by Phil M »

Usually decent weather in August in the San Juan Islands and Gulf Coast, however, the trek out to the coast takes me through the interior. Some places have fires flaring up. :o
Maintenence seems to take longer each year, and when I get lazy, the trailer bearings take a vacation too. :(
Chinook
Admiral

Post by Chinook »

The much anticipated but twice postponed cruise around Vancouver Island is back on the plate. Planning is well underway. A buddy and I expect to depart from Oak Harbor on June 16, with a projected return date of August 1. I'll be posting a blog on the trip on my website, http://chinook.cecka.us. Those of you who are still around, you're invited to check in and follow progress.