The other 2017 Bimini trip thread

Use this forum to announce, plan, and discuss events, cruises, regattas, shows, sailing destinations, events your club is planning, etc.
Sea Wind
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: The other 2017 Bimini trip thread

Post by Sea Wind »

bahama bound wrote:We kinda felt like it would be awkward since we have two kids that are 14 and 12 , great kids and great sailors but if I was with a guy sailing to Bimini I would not want kids around ...... Lol.....
My boys are 8,7 and 3 so I want to make this crossing without them the first time. My friend (I only know him since the second grade) is just introducing his family to sailing so it would be nice to see other sailing families but I understand.
Sea Wind
First Officer

Post by Sea Wind »

Couple of things that I have learned preparing for this trip:

1. the MMSI from BoatUS is completely different from FCC's. BoatUS is for domestic use, FCC's is international and costs $200 for 10 years. I was told by BoatUS and the FCC that FCC's MMSI should be used for a trip like this one. You can probably get away with the domestic one, but since I was upgrading to a new VHF I pulled the trigger on the international one.
2. You can rent an EPIRB from BoatUs. Keep in mind that the DSC feature on VHF radios only works as long as you have power.
3. BoatUS insurance can be upgraded for the duration of the trip to the Bahamas.
4. OpenCPN finally works well on an Android tablet.
5. Flares are still expensive but they are cheaper at Walmart
6. There is a thin line between contingency and redundancy

Sea Wind
Sumner
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by Sumner »

Sea Wind wrote:...the MMSI from BoatUS is completely different from FCC's. BoatUS is for domestic use, FCC's is international and costs $200 for 10 years. I was told by BoatUS and the FCC that FCC's MMSI should be used for a trip like this one. You can probably get away with the domestic one, but since I was upgrading to a new VHF I pulled the trigger on the international one.....
I have the FCC (International) MMSI number and I thought altogether it was about $300 but I might not be remembering right. You also have to get the radio operator's license but you don't need to know anything really to get it, but I think that was in the $300 cost. The whole procedure was a little convoluted if I remember right.

If you don't have the FCC number and have a problem outside U.S. waters you are not in a data base and they, the rescuers, don't have any info on the boat or who to contact. I wouldn't expect much help if you have problems past Bimini unless it is another nearby boater. To Bimini and probably there you have the Coast Guard so if you aren't going past there I'm not sure you have much to gain with the FCC MMSI number.

I got the FCC number since I also wanted to go to Canada and it would be nice to have it there,

Sumner
============================
1300 miles to the Bahamas and back -- 2015

The MacGregor 26-S

The Endeavour 37

Trips to Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links
Sea Wind
First Officer

Post by Sea Wind »

On may 15th at 15:10 another macgregor safely docked in bimini. Pictures and longer update when I get better wifi. Crossing took about 9 hours and motorsailed until the last 10 miles. No fish but something big broke one of the lines.
npsrangerchuck
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by npsrangerchuck »

Sea Wind wrote:On may 15th at 15:10 another macgregor safely docked in bimini. Pictures and longer update when I get better wifi. Crossing took about 9 hours and motorsailed until the last 10 miles. No fish but something big broke one of the lines.
congrats on a successful crossing!
Sumner
Admiral

Post by Sumner »

Congratulations!!!

Have a great time and a safe return trip. Are you going further East??

Sumner
vizwhiz
Admiral

Post by vizwhiz »

Sea Wind wrote:On may 15th at 15:10 another macgregor safely docked in bimini. Pictures and longer update when I get better wifi. Crossing took about 9 hours and motorsailed until the last 10 miles. No fish but something big broke one of the lines.
Yay!! That's always awesome to hear about.. Have fun and post pics!
sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike »

If my memory serves me well people say that Macs are not blue water yachts, well if making a open ocean crossing of 50 odd miles isnt blue water sailing Im not sure what is.

Congratulations on a successful crossing
bahama bound
Captain

Post by bahama bound »

Well , how was your trip ? Pics. ?
Sea Wind
First Officer

Post by Sea Wind »

sorry for the delay. Everything went well, but we had to wait 3 days for a weather window to cross back. Here are a couple of pictures until I give a formal report.