Forum Home
IntroductionBrowse
Our MacGregorExploringArticlesAbout this Website
ManualsDealer InfoSailing LinksSupport this Website
Forum Home

Here We Go Again - February Florida Keys or Bust 2018!

Use this forum to announce, plan, and discuss events, cruises, regattas, shows, sailing destinations, events your club is planning, etc.

Moderators: Paul S, tangentair, beene, Heath_Mod, Hamin' X, kmclemore, Catigale

Re: Here We Go Again - February Florida Keys or Bust 2018!

Postby whgoffrn » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:11 pm

Bayside ny to Jacksonville fl is a 14 hour trip ... leave at 6am get there at 8pm .....jacksonville btw off topic has a 5000 point hyatt where if u sign up for a chase hyatt card you'll get 8 free days 40k points ÷ 5k.... so free room and Jacksonville is 6 hours from keys.... be warned the ramp there costs 20 bux I think plus they close at 5pm and won't let u leave trailer and truck there so you have to get there early for set up and launching
whgoffrn
First Officer

Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Postby Gazmn » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:59 pm

I'd have to give up a lot of my gig time. Summer = $$. But definitely something to be considered if I really wanna play in the warm skinny water. I'd have to add up a lot of opportunity costs. I don't think I can pay for partial season at my marina too. So, an awful lot of $acrifice... It might be better to cruise nicer spots in my local waters. A staycation cruise...

But I love the information you gave & I'm sure others can value too.

It might be worth it to fly down during Summer, rent a boat & house to dive, swim & play. Less effort, more playtime.
Gazmn
Admiral

Location: Bayside, NY '97X, E-tec 115 Pontoon, The "Ollie Gray" & '01 Chevy Tahoe W/ Tow Pkg

Postby Gazmn » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:19 pm

Trip Epilogue Part 2:

I also picked this up while waiting out the Nor'easter in NC + 2 more galvanized boat stands. I just stuffed it into the truck & back of the boat. It is much sturdier looking than the one pictured. eg: It's not square, it's rectanglar. The bars look like you can fit a 2x4 inside. Even the guys didn't blink when I pulled up with Miss Ollie. I got it for future maintenance. Saved myself hundreds in freight 8)
Last edited by Gazmn on Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gazmn
Admiral

Location: Bayside, NY '97X, E-tec 115 Pontoon, The "Ollie Gray" & '01 Chevy Tahoe W/ Tow Pkg

Postby Gazmn » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:53 pm

whgoffrn wrote:Bayside ny to Jacksonville fl is a 14 hour trip ... leave at 6am get there at 8pm .....jacksonville btw off topic has a 5000 point hyatt where if u sign up for a chase hyatt card you'll get 8 free days 40k points ÷ 5k.... so free room and Jacksonville is 6 hours from keys....

I was thinking about the travel time mentioned here. 'Cause it tripped me up going down as well as home. It's a minor point whgoff, I'll get 9mpg if I'm lucky, with a 20 gal tank. So, 960 miles comes out to 6-7 fill ups. I check my tires btw 50 & 70 miles, mainly at rest stops & fill ups. That's roughly 14 breaks for gas, a walk around & a pee break - No diapers. So 14hrs + eating, Crakerbarrel 8) x2 the mentioned maintenance breaks turns into... 20hrs easy. & that's with no major issues unlike this last trip :P

It took me almost a week to get back to myself; So, I know on paper or screen the trip looks quick & easy. But the Devil Certainly lives in the details :|

But I like that Hyatt card 8)
Gazmn
Admiral

Postby whgoffrn » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:09 pm

Haha yeah I guess everyone travels differently ... I been told i travel as if I were running from the cartel lol.... my usual is I check tires and quick walk around (feeling how hot the hubs are) first at 50 miles then at 150 miles then only check when fill ups my fill ups are more like a NASCAR pitstop and my breakfast lunch and dinner comes from these same gas stations and I have perfected the art of dumping urine out of a Gatorade bottle from a truck window doing 70mph and not getting it blown back on me lol last trip I left chas wv at 8am made it to homestead at 11pm same day
whgoffrn
First Officer

Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Postby Gazmn » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:13 am

whgoffrn wrote:Haha yeah I guess everyone travels differently ... I been told i travel as if I were running from the cartel lol.... my usual is I check tires and quick walk around (feeling how hot the hubs are) first at 50 miles then at 150 miles then only check when fill ups my fill ups are more like a NASCAR pitstop and my breakfast lunch and dinner comes from these same gas stations and I have perfected the art of dumping urine out of a Gatorade bottle from a truck window doing 70mph and not getting it blown back on me lol last trip I left chas wv at 8am made it to homestead at 11pm same day

:D :D :D
running from the Cartel :D :D :D
Gazmn
Admiral

Previous

Return to Destinations, Clubs, Events and Venues