Here We Go Again - February Florida Keys or Bust 2018!

Use this forum to announce, plan, and discuss events, cruises, regattas, shows, sailing destinations, events your club is planning, etc.
Ixneigh
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Here We Go Again - February Florida Keys or Bust 2018!

Post by Ixneigh »

Re mast in tabernackle I do not know as I never move the boat in such a state. I always move the mast forward.
Klsc I believe they have a fleet of Catalina 22s.
Ix
Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

Gazmn

Looks like u r gonna have an extra double bed there I could fly down there guard the boat while u guys a boarding or diving & run the outside condo bar free of charge as long as u stock it right up with lots of Booze
I no longer have my Boat Cave as I sold my place & retired & moved from Ontario to Victoria BC west coast my boats still in the water I was down today checkin it out :P

J 8)
Gazmn
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Bayside, NY '97X, E-tec 115 Pontoon, The "Ollie Gray" & '01 Chevy Tahoe W/ Tow Pkg; AL 2X Trlr.

Post by Gazmn »

Highlander wrote:Gazmn

Looks like u r gonna have an extra double bed there I could fly down there guard the boat while u guys a boarding or diving & run the outside condo bar free of charge as long as u stock it right up with lots of Booze
I no longer have my Boat Cave as I sold my place & retired & moved from Ontario to Victoria BC west coast my boats still in the water I was down today checkin it out :P

J 8)
Tempting offer John. While I'd have to throw it up to a family vote, You know you have my vote Bro 8)

I didn't realize you had a change of venue. I wasn't trying to throw salt in a wound. There are moderators & there are Mod makers - You & Sumner are in a class all your own, Boat Cave or not, of the later category :wink:
whgoffrn
Captain

Post by whgoffrn »

Just throwing out an option this is our low budget vacation to the keys each year.....smugglers cove they raised prices after irma but it's still a cheap vacation 13 dollars per foot for a week ....electric free we even got free breakfast last year ... it's right on snake creek also so it's right by the drawbridge ....ramp is about 1 to 2 miles away to launch from ....very convenient location with the drawbridge being right there and close to Lorelei and robbies...did I mention cheap
whgoffrn
Captain

Post by whgoffrn »

Another cheap option is the hyatt in marathon....if you aren't into collecting points with credit cards you might wanna consider it..... chase preferred offering a 50k bonus that can be transferred to hyatt (among others) hyatt in marathon is going for 15k points .... I just got that card before Christmas knowing I could get the bonus during an expensive part of the year now sitting on 63k points for not really doing anything different than I would have done which amounts to 6 free nights at the hyatt in marathon
Gazmn
Admiral
Location: Bayside, NY '97X, E-tec 115 Pontoon, The "Ollie Gray" & '01 Chevy Tahoe W/ Tow Pkg; AL 2X Trlr.

Post by Gazmn »

Thanks for Good, Plausible Options :) I really enjoy Marathon. & It may actually be my favorite Key. If/when I stay longer these recommendations will come in handy. Thanks Whgoff.

The Hyatt ended being a secret source & option from my 2016 Duck Key Indulgence. Just thinking about those Gulf side sunsets... Hughhhhmmmmm... :|

I'm really gonna try & enjoy what ends up with being "My Summer" down here - but am not trying to make my wife run to the Lawyers :wink:

& after this trip - she might start lacing up 8) ...
whgoffrn
Captain

Post by whgoffrn »

Good luck post lots of pics....keys are my fan spot to take the boat...we go twice a year and with these cold winter days I miss it like crazy
Gazmn
Admiral

Post by Gazmn »

My brakes were slashed “& I almost crashed - but the Lord had Mercy...
& My machine, she’s a dud- all stuck in the mud somewhere in the swamps of Jersey” :|
(Springsteen -“Rosalita, come out tonight”)
2 Frickin hrs into my 24 hr trek. & my brake lines in the truck blew. I’m stuck in the middle with you. On 95S. Waitin...
As Tom Petty said: “The waiting is the hardest part.”....

No one’s hurt. Just my pride :wink:
Last edited by Gazmn on Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:05 am, edited 3 times in total.
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

Well, if you hadn't used yer brakes, they wouldn't have blown.

Sheesh. :P

Hope you get back to it soon. I like your play-by-play reporting. Such a loooong trip. :|
Ponaldpe
First Officer

Post by Ponaldpe »

Brake line rusted through on mine two weeks later the fuel pump went, it is always something. Be safe . It all will be here when you get here.
Last edited by Ponaldpe on Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

Greg,

I don’t Know when in February you’re leaving, so whenever it is,be safe. Also post some pictures.

Ray
whgoffrn
Captain

Post by whgoffrn »

Last time I made that drive trailer had a flat.....not such a big deal till you realize all the salt water dunks rusted the lug nuts and wheel studs so bad ALL 5 broke off....try beating 5 wheel studs out of the hub on the side of the road and you will know frustration lol I still have to break off the other wheel sometime in spring before I go again
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

Your info does not state where you’re located. If you’re in the U.S., BOATUS Trailer Assist would have done that hard, dangerous roadside repair for you. I’ve had to use them myself. Alongside a busy highway, a blown tire, next to the traffic, and nowhere near any town. I am glad the insurance was there.

Ray
Gazmn
Admiral

Post by Gazmn »

I was trying to reply while during one of my waiting periods. I had all this colorful stuff - & then it wouldn't post & I lost it all :P

Thanks Ray -I do have & used my Boat US. The complication was breaking down on the NJ Turnpike. You have to use HWY authorized towing. So I got a $200 receipt I'll be filing for a possible refund...:|

I started out at 3 O'clock. My legs, my hips & back are shot from so many trips up & down, in & out of the boat, over the last 3 days. While I didn't pack as much stuff as the 2016 trip, I still have a load. I think I forgot how much work it takes to do this trip :?

& sadly, I can't take afford more than 10 days down here. I was really "supposed to" Be there already. Well, there goes the boat show :x The house is rented from Saturday to Saturday, 2/17-24th. I was gonna stay on the boat somewhere till the 28th; Pack up & start for home on 3/1. Flying down is ridiculou$$ on the 17th. But I'm considering a ticket purcha$e for Sun or Mon... That's Plan D. Are ya still with me??

Plan A -2/14 Ash Wed: known as " The Valentines Day Send off - with ashes hauled :wink: X - "Failure to Launch..."
Plan B -2/15 Thurs: Blew it's front brake line, driver's side :| XX - Brakes were "slashed & I almost crashed - But The Lord had mercy..."
Plan C -2/16 Fri: May or may not commence till ~3PM NJ time If my "Street Mechanic" can get my truck fixed & not rip me a new one $$ :cry:
...& My machine, she's a dud, all stuck in the mud Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey"...Elizabeth, NJ :|

& Plan D - is Dierk Bently's I'm Gettin' Drunk on a Plane :| With No Miss Ollie :cry: ...
But - I'm Somewhere On a Beach 8)

Thanks All for cheers & jeers :)
Seapup
Captain

Post by Seapup »

Sorry to hear about the troubles, that is the last thing anyone wants. I hope it works out OK and you are looking at palms trees within 24 hours 8)