Here We Go Again - February Florida Keys or Bust 2018!

Use this forum to announce, plan, and discuss events, cruises, regattas, shows, sailing destinations, events your club is planning, etc.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Gazmn
Admiral
Location: Bayside, NY '97X, E-tec 115 Pontoon, The "Ollie Gray" & '01 Chevy Tahoe W/ Tow Pkg

Re: Here We Go Again - February Florida Keys or Bust 2018!

Post by Gazmn » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:28 am

30 hrs. & $870 later, I was back on the road at 12AM Sat morning. That was my Go - No Go time, Down to the wire! :)

So, I made it to the last rest stop at NJ Tpke & turned in for the night. & now I’m back ta Headin’ South 8)

Gazmn
Admiral
Location: Bayside, NY '97X, E-tec 115 Pontoon, The "Ollie Gray" & '01 Chevy Tahoe W/ Tow Pkg

Post by Gazmn » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:19 am

Here we go again :P

Lost drivers side front hub & bearings 155 miles out fr Key Largo :x

I’m trying limp last hundred on 3 wheels. I’m tired & have to remember all this next time I think “Road Trip!”

Tomfoolery
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Tomfoolery » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:26 am

Damn that stinks! Were you able to retrieve the wheel and tire at least? Or did it just trash the bearings and the wheel never came off?

Ixneigh
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Ixneigh » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:56 pm

Wowsers. Hope you can make the last few miles safely!
Ix

Gazmn
Admiral

Post by Gazmn » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:42 pm

No. I Threw craps around Lauderdale :(

While I retained aIl wheels, bearings, have I not. Lost the first drivers side before sunrise. Was Limping around 10ish. & crapped out Portside shortly after leaving Palm Springs. Miss Ollie has a 12ft traveling superstructure due to solar arch & mast. I took down the radar & still had to pay $250 for oversized boat towing :|

Miss Ollie is in a yard in Miami & I doubt will see the light of day this trip. I will concentrate & remain thankful for finally making it 2Key Largo. & meeting up with my family unscathed & having caused no one else harm or damage. Thank You God: for giving me a head to calmy think through my challenges, while on my own 2 fully operational feet & hands. I met my family & loved ones in Key Largo at 8PM Monday after a Saturday 12AM, 1300 mi. restart.

We are headed by our family’s matriarch & Boat’s namesake: Ollie Gray M. Parr. & she was playing with my 59yo big brother’s 19mo “Trophy Baby”, Aaron, who is the light of us sibling’s world in our lovely rented home 8)
One day, I will show him the beauty of God’s creations from the deck & on the water. As He may one day, be the future late Captain of our legacy....

I will enjoy the gift of my wife & extended family now, grateful & distracted not; & as well Thankful...
Grateful for family & time [A note mainly taken from u guyz :wink: ] Thank you MacGregor Captains & friends, Captain: Husband, Fathers, Uncles, Brothers & Grandfathers All. & Many times, thoughts of spinning yarns for you guys inspires me :D :D

Thanks Guys Always! You throw logs on & fuel The Dream, for me :wink:

Now I’m gonna enjoy my family, in your honor - After I wash off 3 days of: Road grime, Bearing grease, Sweat, Waiting & Frustrations :P :P :P [That smell like 8]

I smell like a Homeless Person :D The gin’s on ice with a twist, the water warm & soapy - so I’m outta here!!

Tune in next week!... After I burn my clothes :)

Ixneigh
Admiral

Post by Ixneigh » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:40 am

Sounds like a nightmare trip. Never heard of oversized boat towing.
For anyone coming to the keys and wishing to avoid the traffic in the south Florida area freeways, SR 27 down through the lake Okeechobee area could provide some relief. Big plus is you could drive slower if you had to. I drove up there just before the storm, having never towed my boat more than 2 miles before. Part of it is two lane. But I went at night and it was mostly truck traffic. I drive around fifty and pulled over often to check the hub temps. There are lots of places to do that but not as many places to get gas as its a rural road. Its also a much prettier drive.
Ix

Seapup
Captain

Post by Seapup » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:42 pm

Now I’m gonna enjoy my family, in your honor - After I wash off 3 days of: Road grime, Bearing grease, Sweat, Waiting & Frustrations :P :P :P
Way to stay focused on the good stuff. I can only imagine your level of frustration.

I had the brake shoes melt to the drum on the original trailer going on a vacation, miserable experience.

If I get another trailer I am going to put on a TPS system that real time monitors the temperature and pressure with a dedicated display. Should give an earlier warning of an issue. They are not that expensive. I put one on my sportbike and it lets me know when I am riding a little too spirited, the wheels really heat up.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075XF4PMN/re ... il_2?psc=1

Gazmn
Admiral

Post by Gazmn » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:30 pm

Seapup wrote:
Now I’m gonna enjoy my family, in your honor - After I wash off 3 days of: Road grime, Bearing grease, Sweat, Waiting & Frustrations :P :P :P
Way to stay focused on the good stuff. I can only imagine your level of frustration.

I had the brake shoes melt to the drum on the original trailer going on a vacation, miserable experience.

If I get another trailer I am going to put on a TPS system that real time monitors the temperature and pressure with a dedicated display. Should give an earlier warning of an issue. They are not that expensive. I put one on my sportbike and it lets me know when I am riding a little too spirited, the wheels really heat up.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075XF4PMN/re ... il_2?psc=1
That looks interesting. I was regularly feeling for heat & didn’t notice any. It’s still nevertheless my fault & responsibility. I’m sure I contributed by using a sturdier but lower trailer hitch that was putting more stress on the front tires :P

I’m gonna need a new trailer to go back up. Or have to make arrangements to store it & bring it up another time... or sell it - Not :x :x or... :?

I’ll inquire in a day or so
“ I can smell the shrimp, They’re begining ta boil...” - MargaritaVille

whgoffrn
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by whgoffrn » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:52 pm

Hate that for you and been there before as well.....stinks when you have this wallyworld adventure planned out in your head and it doesn't happen how you had dreamed ......happens to us all from time to time. At least you're alive and safe and in the keys driving over them bridges looking at that beautiful water

March
Captain

Post by March » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:09 pm

Oh no! This sounds terrible. And it all happened on land.
We returned from Florida last summer with a twisted trailer, but the Lord is merciful and made it back in one piece.
If your trailer breaks down on land, good luck with getting help. Not only did I have BoatUS insurance, but I have been paying the AAA "gold membership" dutifully, anticipating such a mishap. They couldn't find anyone in Southern Florida with a platform long enough to make it worth their trouble--or who cared to take the chance loading a wobbly boat on an injured trailer on it.
But you're safe and sound, and that's what matters
All the best wishes! I sympathize completely

Gazmn
Admiral

Post by Gazmn » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:58 pm

March wrote:Oh no! This sounds terrible. And it all happened on land.
We returned from Florida last summer with a twisted trailer, but the Lord is merciful and made it back in one piece.
If your trailer breaks down on land, good luck with getting help. Not only did I have BoatUS insurance, but I have been paying the AAA "gold membership" dutifully, anticipating such a mishap. They couldn't find anyone in Southern Florida with a platform long enough to make it worth their trouble--or who cared to take the chance loading a wobbly boat on an injured trailer on it.
But you're safe and sound, and that's what matters
All the best wishes! I sympathize completely
Thanks Bro.

While I’m not up to an epilogue yet. Here are my current observations & if something can be learned from this & benefit another MacG’r. Then all is not lost.
Item:
1. These incidents & predicament$ are My Fault & I, solely, Am accountable for. While obvious I want to state this plainly & I am thankful no one was hurt, other than my wallet & time.
2. I didn’t want to take & honor “No” as The Answer. & bit off more than my equipment was ready to handle. I shouldn’t have taken the boat on this relatively short family trip; See 1.
3. Keep and maintain your BoatUs or other road & water coverage. But recognize they will & can only do so much. First is your prudence, ability & judgement, including maintenance; also see 2.

Boater’s beware: your towing coverage is limited - even in the “unlimited”, which I still recommend to any road warrior sailors here. But know that You May have to, if possible, get your wreck safely off the turnpike, expressway etc as only the “highway approved” towing agency has jurisdiction - & maynot be covered. Repeat sentence as necessary for full comprehension :wink:

I had 2 tows out of 3 incidents & had to pay out of pocket,to some extent, for both.While I hope to be reimbursed for the NJ Tpke tow, I don’t know that I’ll win. I just know what the real cost of getting stuff done was. When the first trailer bearing blew, I learned I was on my own till I could get off the FL Tpke. So I had brought tools, Thank God & got to work when it was safe, ie: daylight, markers or flares, tools, gloves etc. took the tire off & limped on slower with working flashers & 3 wheels... while I don’t regret not getting off the Tpke then; I knew hull or highwater that’s what I was gonna need to do next incident - & the water flowing Was High :P

Slow, steady, flashers & patience. My Port side remaining wheel looked like it was hanging on slanted by a prayer & disc brake assembly :o

4. Maintain your equipment & prepare - or pay later. My assessment & judgement was flawed regarding the condition of my trailer. See 1 & 2;
Thank God no one, including myself & family was hurt, is something I cannot help but repeat.

Today I bought a brandy new aluminum trailer. Because I didn’t want to be a further liability in an 17yo rustbucket waiting for the next shoe to fall - I’m outta shoes :P
& right after plunking down those 4 Boat Bucks, I noticed my battery light blinking in the truck... & since I’m outta shoes, got a new battery & refurb alternator... Next is a tourniquet to $top the bleeding :|
Last edited by Gazmn on Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gazmn
Admiral

Post by Gazmn » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:01 am

Oh, I forgot to post. The winds have been clocking 20Kts all week with temps in high 70s low 80’s daytime. Small Craft Advisory is currently a mantra :P

We’re staying Oceanside off of S Exuma Rd. If u google map it, u can see how close the outer Pennekamp mangroves at my canal entrance are. But it’s been too blustery to rent kayaks or board my paddleboards to even be on the water... Ahh February... u think I would have learned at Hawk’s Cay, Marrathon in 2016... But I’m not the sharpest tool in the shed :|

Possible intermittanat showers tomorow, 2/22/18

Any ideas on how to entertain a boatless MacGuy here :??

Ixneigh
Admiral

Post by Ixneigh » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:44 am

Its been very windy. I currently have my boat behind the Murray nelson government center. The bay side is the place to do any boating right now.
I'd suggest a nice cruise along the shore in a kayak. (In the lee)
Ix

vizwhiz
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by vizwhiz » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:02 pm

I’m sorry to hear of all the trouble, but so grateful all is well that really matters!

Things to keep you occupied..when it is windy out, particularly..
Bridge fishing.
Fishing around the mangroves from shore.
Kayacking the gulf side. (Already suggested.)
Watching the olympics with a stiff drink in hand.
Flying kites with the kids. Maybe from a fishing pole instead of that cheapo string. (We used to do this as kids.)
Try to rig up a cheap kite-fishing arrangement and see if you can catch fish that way. (Like they do offshore for bigger fish.)
Family challenge to find the worst local place to eat that won’t make you sick. (You’ll actually find a lot of places that turn out to be pretty decent that way!)
Hammock tween the palms... 8)

Ixneigh
Admiral

Post by Ixneigh » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:49 am

Good local places

Mrs macs (!)

Keysbite

Hobos

Buzzards roost