Crossing the Atlantic

Use this forum to announce, plan, and discuss events, cruises, regattas, shows, sailing destinations, events your club is planning, etc.
Stevenhigbee
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Crossing the Atlantic

Post by Stevenhigbee »

I mean, by putting her into a container and shipping her to a major port like Marseille, to use as a starting point for following the shoreline around the Mediterranean. Aside from arranging the shipping, would it be a different customs hassle than arriving at a port by sea?
NiceAft
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Re: Crossing the Atlantic

Post by NiceAft »

Boy oh boy, what a question. 8)

I would imagine yes, but what do I know :?:

This seems like you need to be in touch with a French consulate near you, and an international shipping company.

Remember, every country is worried about drug smuggling, but the French, Italian, and Spanish also worry about boats smuggling in people via North Africa.

I've been to Marseilles, and it's quite a port city. A good place to walk around and dine.

Ray
whgoffrn
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by whgoffrn »

Someone purchased a boat from me years ago from Australia and wanted it shipped to him was a regal 255xl cost 8 grand to ship from Florida to Australia
sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike »

Shipping to Australia is the cheap part, you can get that for around $4,000 BUT Australian customs charge a inspection duty (even though they only inspect 1 in 10 containers) which is around $3,500, well that was the going rate when I was looking at importing a Mac from the states, I mean if you want to buy a "S" here there is no change from between $20,000 and $25,000
Chinook
Admiral

Post by Chinook »

I looked into it once, and it seems that import duties were a major deterrent. They're worried about someone bringing a boat in to sell there. Also, the trailer is an issue. Different regulations and higher standards. Probably makes more sense financially to either charter or lease over there.
Baha
First Officer

Post by Baha »

Or, you might consider checking out apolloduck to see if there is a boat cheap enough to suit your needs. I have heard that shipping your mac in a container could beat it up pretty good. That being said, I live in the UK and will consider shipping my :macm: back to the states as I have it set up pretty well for my needs.
kadet
Admiral
Location: Brisbane, Australia. 2008M "Wicked Wave" Yamaha T60

Post by kadet »

You will also need CE certification before you can import it into Europe. Probably less expensive in the long run to buy a cheap keeler or ex-charter boat in Croatia or Turkey and do some proper sailing then sell it at a firesale rate before you leave 8)

Something like this maybe :!:

http://au.yachtworld.com/boats/1982/Ske ... pKi6byWapo
Ixneigh
Admiral

Post by Ixneigh »

Just buy a boat over there, and sell it when you leave.
Ix
kurz
Admiral

Post by kurz »

I did it when I bought the :macm:

But I guess what he wants is different. Maybe he does not have to import it right me when I live here.

Of course you could never get papers with the trailer in original configurations (I can tell you all what you need in EU...). BUT: As long as the trailer will be immatriculated in a different country I guess you can run it in EU too.

Why not a boat?
sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike »

If I remember Macgregor had a EU import pack you could purchase
kurz
Admiral

Post by kurz »

well id does not matter if you install the CE pack... you still need the CE paper to immatriculate in the EU.

So if I were you first ask whether you could use the boat for a "short" time with USA papers. And if yes how you get the boat out of the port/custom...
Stevenhigbee
Engineer

Post by Stevenhigbee »

The way I hope it might work:

1. I take my US documents to the port where I will put it into the water, and obtain a temporary import permit identical to if I had arrived by water.

2. I use that permit to take it out of customs, where I have a flatbed wrecker take it out of the container and down to the water and help put it in, then take the trailer to a storage yard.

3. I sail away.

If it's more complicated than this, then I probably don't want to do it.

Why I would want to do this rather than buy another boat: The Mac is beachable, and has a shallow enough draft that I might take a trip into the French canals.
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

Now that you have read all of the theories, all you need to do is contact the nearest French Consulate (it’s their country) to hear what they say, and also a container shipping company (it’s what they do for a living) to hear what they say. :)

Ray
Stevenhigbee
Engineer

Post by Stevenhigbee »

I lived in France two years. No matter what you ask, or who you ask, the answer is "Non, c'est impossible."
NiceAft
Admiral

Post by NiceAft »

C'est la vie :D

Ray