Norfolk, VA boating

Use this forum to announce, plan, and discuss events, cruises, regattas, shows, sailing destinations, events your club is planning, etc.

Moderators: Hamin' X, kmclemore, Paul S, beene, Catigale

K9Kampers
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Norfolk, VA boating

Post by K9Kampers » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:29 pm

I'm planning to be in Virginia; Norfolk, Chesapeake, VA Beach area the first week of April. Wife and MIL want to do a boat tour in the area where the James River meets the Chesapeake, but aren't finding charters to their liking online. We are looking for a small boat tour operator, sail or power. Anyone local have any recommendations? What is the boating weather / activity like in early April?

whgoffrn
Captain

Re: Norfolk, VA boating

Post by whgoffrn » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:25 pm

1st part of April is unpredictable ....could be 75 could be snowing

Seapup
Captain

Post by Seapup » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:27 am

I live in VB and normally I would be glad to take you out on my catamaran. We are taking a 10 day sail for spring break March 30-April 8 from Virginia Beach down through NC and I am leaving the boat on the ICW at the end though. Generally at least part of the week is beautiful that time of year.

I don't think there are any/many small bout tour operators. I think the best bet for a private captain would be posting a request on the local craigslist with what you are looking for.

The only commercial sailing that I know of is the American Rover in Norfolk and the Schooner in Alliance in Yorktown.

https://www.americanrover.com/

Sail Nauticus rents Harbour 20 sailboats in the evenings/weekends with and without an instructor. They are always zipping around.

https://sailnauticus.org/

There are also the larger tour boats that run with about 50-100 people out of Norfolk, Hampton, The Lynnhaven Inlet in VB for the bay and rudee inlet for the ocean. They do military base tours to see the ships or dolphin tours.

The olde town portsmouth water taxi is small boat that runs around and seems to cater to what people ask, I have seen it in some odd places. They may do small custom tours.

https://oldetowneportsmouth.com/listing ... ater-taxi/

Cheapest date is the $2 Elizabeth River Ferry every 30 minutes that crosses from Norfolk to Portsmouth. There are nice historic houses/walking tour and good restaurants on the Portsmouth side.

Highlander
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:19 pm

K9Kampers

So how long r u gonna keep us all in suspense ! :)

How did it go ?

J 8)

K9Kampers
Admiral

Post by K9Kampers » Wed May 09, 2018 8:54 am

It was a nice vacation, John, thanks for asking. Thanks for the info Seapup.

We ended up not getting on the water as desired, but would've gone out on the 95' Victory Rover Naval Base Cruise as that was the only tour vessel operating at the time. It would've been chilly / REALLY chilly to be on the water in an open boat the time we were there.

One of the highlights was visiting the battleship USS Wisconsin. We did the command bridge guided tour and I spent over four hours roaming the decks and interior of this great vessel. The tour allowed me to appreciate what life is like onboard for a Navy sailor. And especially the duty and sacrifice of those serving aboard in WW2. Over 3000 sailors lived and worked during wartime aboard this ship that was designed for 1500!

Others visits included the Nauticus Museum. For future reference, allow separate days for visiting Nauticus and the Wisconsin.

Fort Story Joint Expeditionary Base / Cape Henry Lighthouse. All tourist vehicles were thoroughly searched before being allowed restricted access to the historic base!

Norfolk Naval Base tour, Norfolk Botanical Gardens, the Virginia Beach Boardwalk, Atlantic Wildfowl Heritage Museum, the Town of Smithfield (Smithfield Hams) historic architecture. A lot of driving and sightseeing.

Highlander
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander » Wed May 09, 2018 10:28 am

Glad to hear u all had a great time thx for the up-date !

I just got back from 5 days down in San Fran. went sailing with Geoff & Leon on Leon,s 38ft Catalina the last day we were out in 30knt winds was a great time Leon was the Skipper , Geoff was alternating Skipper & crewman & I had the most important & hardest job as barman try climbing up & down six cabin steps to the cockpit all day on a 30% heel :)
I have built-in cooler locker hatches in both cockpit seats for two cooler bags no need to go down into the cabin for a pop ! :wink:

J 8)