Forum Home
IntroductionBrowse
Our MacGregorExploringArticlesAbout this Website
ManualsDealer InfoSailing LinksSupport this Website
Forum Home

Sailing from Toronto to New York

Use this forum to announce, plan, and discuss events, cruises, regattas, shows, sailing destinations, events your club is planning, etc.

Moderators: Paul S, tangentair, beene, Heath_Mod, Hamin' X, kmclemore, Catigale

Re: Sailing from Toronto to New York

Postby Catigale » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:57 am

Missed this one

PM me and I can put you in contact with the folks in Wilson NY, 36 miles from TO.

Very cruiser friendly. There is a NEXUS station there, as well as manned CBP to check in for border protocol.

Youngstown - avoid like plague - just stole their wall for a night after they reserved me, then told me no space when I was one mile out at 1800 hours.
Catigale
Site Admin

Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Postby Tomfoolery » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:59 pm

Tomfoolery wrote:Interesting that the OP joined almost two years ago, and this is his/her first, and so far last, thread and post. :o

Still hasn’t come back, or at least posted. Anything. Since April 1. :|
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Postby beene » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:43 pm

Tomfoolery wrote:Interesting that the OP joined almost two years ago, and this is his/her first, and so far last, thread and post. :o

If I'm not mistaken, I believe that OP is Adrian.
He is slipped right beside me at Lakefront Promenade

Great guy

Rocky met up with him years ago and we all just met him during the Ont sailor meet up a few days ago.

His blue M has Adriko on the side, so figured it had to be his post.

Last simmer he removed the rigging and did the Trent Severn waterway system from bottom to top. Great trip!
I did that years ago, but only the last 4 points from Lake Simcoe to Midland.

Cheers

G
beene
Site Admin

Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Postby Tomfoolery » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:32 pm

Anyone have any pics to post of this year's OSR/MMOR? I've missed yet another due to other obligations. :|
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Postby bonadCA » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:41 pm

Thank you all for your quick reply and I'm sorry for not following up with my original posting. I thought it will take days or weeks for someone to look at it. I haven't really used this forum before. You guys are awesome!! I got very busy at my workplace at the time I asked about the NY trip. And yes, this summer, I got my boat in the water two weeks ago :( . I'm probably running out of time for that trip. I think I may need some more time to learn about how to get around that open water in NY, marinas , mooring..etc. If anyone has done this trip before I would love to know more details about docking along the channel (locks) and the marinas in NY. Thanks again for all your feedback.

Regards,

p.s. thank you beene for the reminder!!
bonadCA

Postby beene » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:01 am

Tomfoolery wrote:Anyone have any pics to post of this year's OSR/MMOR? I've missed yet another due to other obligations. :|

Working on it Tom

Will post over in the venues when ready.
In the meantime I'll send you a text teaser lol

G
beene
Site Admin

Postby Tomfoolery » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:09 pm

I posted this on the wrong venue. I saw your name and my brain, or what’s left of it, though I was on the OSR thread. :P
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Postby Catigale » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:27 am

bonadCA wrote:Thank you all for your quick reply and I'm sorry for not following up with my original posting. I thought it will take days or weeks for someone to look at it. I haven't really used this forum before. You guys are awesome!! I got very busy at my workplace at the time I asked about the NY trip. And yes, this summer, I got my boat in the water two weeks ago :( . I'm probably running out of time for that trip. I think I may need some more time to learn about how to get around that open water in NY, marinas , mooring..etc. If anyone has done this trip before I would love to know more details about docking along the channel (locks) and the marinas in NY. Thanks again for all your feedback.

Regards,

p.s. thank you beene for the reminder!!

Approaching from Toronto there is a bit of problem getting to the Erie Lock system as there is a 200 foot drop of water you have to motor up.

:D :D

The nearest sailing venue to enter the system is Oswego which is a long crossing off Ontario for a Mac - lots of large commercial vessels going 20 knots and not stopping.

TO do the locks, trailer to North Tonawanda, drop into the Upper Niagara, and off you go. 300 miles at 5 mph and 35 locks later...Albany and the Mighty Hudson. Then it is 130 miles downriver to NYC>
Catigale
Site Admin

Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Postby beene » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:14 pm

Catigale wrote:
TO do the locks, trailer to North Tonawanda, drop into the Upper Niagara, and off you go. 300 miles at 5 mph and 35 locks later...Albany and the Mighty Hudson. Then it is 130 miles downriver to NYC>

OK

So if I take a couple days off from work, that should just about cover it?

:P

G
beene
Site Admin

Postby Tomfoolery » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:18 pm

Sure. The 'trailer to North Tonawanda' part, at least. :D
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Postby Highlander » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:18 am

Hi Guy,s
What,s the rush it,s only time !!!!! & more time & time :)

J :P
Highlander
Admiral

Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Postby Chinook » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:10 pm

I've been away for a while and just noticed this thread. For bonadCA, in 2016 we cruised the Great Loop via the Champlain, Chamblis, Rideaux and Trent Severn waterways. I posted a daily blog of the trip, which can be found at http://chinook.cecka.us . If you do make the trip from Toronto to New York, you'll undoubtedly find yourself on a good portion of the route we took. The blog will give you an idea of what the cruising is like. Feel free to pm me if you have specific questions.

ca
Chinook
Admiral

Postby Starscream » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:58 pm

I just found out from a USCBP agent that a Canadian boat heading down a waterway in the US needs a cruising permit. They usually let it slide on waterways with shared territory such as Lake Champlain, the St. Lawrence, and Lake Ontario but you wouldn't want to be caught on a wholly US-owned waterway without the cruising permit, I was told.

Just got back from a few days on Lake Champlain. Thunderstorms scare the bejeepers out of me and the risk of them kept us stationary for too long to be able to really cruise the lake. But a great time was had by all.
Starscream
Captain

Postby K9Kampers » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:47 pm

Did you ever make it to Ft. Ticonderoga?
K9Kampers
Admiral

Postby Starscream » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:01 am

K9Kampers wrote:Did you ever make it to Ft. Ticonderoga?

Nope, unfortunately weather didn't cooperate enough to make that run with the kids. But we did visit the Champlain Maritime Museum, which the kids rated as the highlight of the trip. We were the only visitors at opening time and had what amounted to a private chaperoned tour of the replica gunboat Philadelphia, complete with cannons and swivel guns. I'll post about it more on my own thread, with photos.

I'll just say this: the Battle of Valcour Island is worth reading up on: it will change your perception of Benedict Arnold and maybe surprise you with how close the Americans came to losing the War of Independence. (This battle was one of many that could have changed the outcome.) My eldest had read up on some of the history of the lake before we went and his interest infected his brothers. Arnold's nighttime escape through the British fleet's battle lines was just unbelievable.
Starscream
Captain

PreviousNext

Return to Destinations, Clubs, Events and Venues