Cape sable

Use this forum to announce, plan, and discuss events, cruises, regattas, shows, sailing destinations, events your club is planning, etc.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Ixneigh
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Cape sable

Post by Ixneigh » Sun May 27, 2018 8:30 pm

It's a good thing I left the area behind big pine. Last week I was thinking that cruddy weather had tropical storm written all over it. This trip has been the wettest trip ever. It's rained the entire time nearly and every Mac leak ever has made an appearance at some point.
I spent a day in marathon at Bamboo key. Thought maybe the storm would fall apart, but nothing doing. The cone showed it going into the gulf, but I don't trust that B.S. and there's no shelter at marathon if things turn bad, so I motor sailed against stiff easterlies and squalls. One blew my sandals out of the pocket that I put them in when I get off the paddle board. That thing was doing flips but never got airborne. Total whiteout. I had taken the jib down of course. The weather got progressively worse while I anchored behind lignum vitea key, normally a pleasent place. Early the next morning it was raining and cruddy. My power was almost flat since my solar array wasn't doing jack. Running the engine seems to run the fridge and nav electronics but not charge the batteries much, although I know the house battery is weak.
I anchored in Islamorada by the lorilie bar right up close to shore. It was blowing about 25-30 All night and early today. But the rain stopped. I took the dog ashore, picked up sub and some drinks. The quaint little grocery right nearby (easy walking) is usually where I go. There is a publix here, brand new, but that is an uber ride away. I spent some of today mopping up stray water. The rub rail leaks I think. The chainplate leaks. My opening ports leak, but those get glassed on to the cabin this year. I didn't have time to do it last year. That will fix those. One OEM window drips. Water drips from the slide hatch when the top drop board is out. The full enclosure looks good but i don't know how much wind it will take.
The motorwell kept filling up. I need to fix that nonsense this summer too. Maybe think about a wind turbine. I like my cold drinks too much to go without power. And the lights, radio tablets etc.

Ix

Starscream
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Starscream » Mon May 28, 2018 6:53 am

Ixneigh wrote:It's a good thing I left the area behind big pine. Last week I was thinking that cruddy weather had tropical storm written all over it. This trip has been the wettest trip ever. It's rained the entire time nearly and every Mac leak ever has made an appearance at some point.
I spent a day in marathon at Bamboo key. Thought maybe the storm would fall apart, but nothing doing. The cone showed it going into the gulf, but I don't trust that B.S. and there's no shelter at marathon if things turn bad, so I motor sailed against stiff easterlies and squalls. One blew my sandals out of the pocket that I put them in when I get off the paddle board. That thing was doing flips but never got airborne. Total whiteout. I had taken the jib down of course. The weather got progressively worse while I anchored behind lignum vitea key, normally a pleasent place. Early the next morning it was raining and cruddy. My power was almost flat since my solar array wasn't doing jack. Running the engine seems to run the fridge and nav electronics but not charge the batteries much, although I know the house battery is weak.
I anchored in Islamorada by the lorilie bar right up close to shore. It was blowing about 25-30 All night and early today. But the rain stopped. I took the dog ashore, picked up sub and some drinks. The quaint little grocery right nearby (easy walking) is usually where I go. There is a publix here, brand new, but that is an uber ride away. I spent some of today mopping up stray water. The rub rail leaks I think. The chainplate leaks. My opening ports leak, but those get glassed on to the cabin this year. I didn't have time to do it last year. That will fix those. One OEM window drips. Water drips from the slide hatch when the top drop board is out. The full enclosure looks good but i don't know how much wind it will take.
The motorwell kept filling up. I need to fix that nonsense this summer too. Maybe think about a wind turbine. I like my cold drinks too much to go without power. And the lights, radio tablets etc.

Ix
Love the updates. Keep us posted.

Sometimes living the dream means taking the bad with the good, I guess. Makes for good memories once you've lived through it.

Ixneigh
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Ixneigh » Mon May 28, 2018 8:47 pm

I had intended to stay in Islamorada a few days, but this morning I felt like sailing, and the winds were southerly. That meant I could sail towards key largo with out bucking the normally easterly winds. (This time of year)
It was still pretty breezy 20, gusts to 30, so I put up the 2nd reef in the main and ran her off. There's a shoal area between nearby cotton key and Islamorada but there's a small boat crossing, so I took that to save a few miles. Once I got through that, i tried a jib. This is my all purpose jib, and it was a bit too much, so after the boat exhibited all her little "you have too much sail up" tricks, I took it down and just sailed with the double reefed main. Doing about 5 K I guess. Didn't have the GPS on. Sailed through cowpens cut and past the markers for tavernier cut. Boat was handling well and comfortable with not much wave action. I had the board up all the way. Just past tavernier, by pigeon key, the intercostal takes a dogleg to the nw. This put the wind almost astern. The gusts whistled through the rigging and the boat needed some attention to keep from rounding up, but we were moving pretty good, 7-8 knots I'd say. The course does another turn once past pigeon key, now the winds were nearly Abeam. There is another little cut into buttonwood sound. The wind seemed lighter so I put up the jib again with a bit more success. Sailed through the creek into tarpon basin where I ran the motor to find an open spot to anchor. My spring sailing trip has ended.
Thoughts: I have a storm jib. I should have rigged it prior to leaving that day, even though I hadn't initially planned on a headsail due to off the wind course and wind speed.
Rudder flex. I think those plastic rudders may be flexing and contributing to the round up antics. I know the whole "rounding up is a safety feature" bit.
Skegs. I am certain these help a lot in such Conditions however I did not do much shaping when Installed them. (They are still "temporary experiments" )I want to make them more streamlined. And tapered. That will Increase effectiveness as speed picks up rather than the opposite now, with only rounded edges.
Third reef. Yea, I want one.
Sail handling. The boat will look after herself nicely even in windy conditions with a simple wheel lock. This is a delight for someone who has had boats that wouldn't. I mean, you could not secure the helm, execute a radical change in sail plan without having the boat want to either come about or gybe. My little 23 footer was very Ill behaved. I had to be hove to just to reef the main. The M will sit there nice as you please while you do it.
Boom length. Would cutting off 2 feet of boom (to keep the end well forward of the helmsman) and using a custom made square top main reduce performance very much?

Ix