Forum Home
IntroductionBrowse
Our MacGregorExploringArticlesAbout this Website
ManualsDealer InfoSailing LinksTell a FriendSupport this Website
Forum Home

Planning Lake Champlain trip

Use this forum to announce, plan, and discuss events, cruises, regattas, shows, sailing destinations, events your club is planning, etc.

Moderators: Paul S, tangentair, beene, Heath_Mod, Hamin' X, kmclemore, Catigale

Planning Lake Champlain trip

Postby Starscream » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:38 pm

We are planning a Lake Champlain trip this weekend. Plan is to arrive in Westport NY on Friday night and launch on Saturday. We are heading across the lake to Basin Harbor Club for a couple of days and on Monday we are planning a run down to Fort Ticonderoga, about 30 miles.

I'd like to make it there for the 11:30 a.m. musket firing. Does anyone know where/how to dock the boat at the Fort, and how long it will take to walk from the dock up to the Fort? Google was no help on this question.

We need a dock or a beach to disembark. I'm not planning to inflate the dingy, nor to swim :D
Starscream
Captain

Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Planning Lake Champlain trip

Postby kmclemore » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:30 pm

Not sure about your questions - we've not visited the southernmost points of the lake yet. We are up at the other end of the lake (Point Au Fer / Rouses Point) and will be there from this Sunday until the end of August, if you get a hankering to start farther north.
kmclemore
Site Admin

Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Postby K9Kampers » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:53 am

You should contact the museum directly regarding the use of their dock and/or beaching along their shoeline.

Looking at Google Maps, I'd estimate the distance from their dock to the fort at no more than a half mile.
K9Kampers
Admiral

Postby Starscream » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:04 am

Thanks guys.

I emailed the Fort yesterday and will call them today if I don't have a response. Google maps shows a small dock used for the fort boat trips, and there looks like there is room for a shallow draft X or two, near the shoreline.

I could always disembark the family and then anchor out, and swim in, but google also shows that it would be a very weedy swim.

We thought about heading north from Westport, to Valcour Island and Burlington, but we'll save that for next time. The Ticonderoga run will be the longest single leg we have ever done with the kids, at about 3 hours. If they can handle it, next year we will probably put in at Rousse's Point and explore the lake from top down, and say hi to K-Mc.
Starscream
Captain

Postby kmclemore » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:46 pm

Starscream wrote:We thought about heading north from Westport, to Valcour Island and Burlington, but we'll save that for next time. The Ticonderoga run will be the longest single leg we have ever done with the kids, at about 3 hours. If they can handle it, next year we will probably put in at Rousse's Point and explore the lake from top down, and say hi to K-Mc.

Righty right. PM me when you're planning the trip and we'll work out our meeting. We live right on the lake, at the very tip of Point Au Fer.
kmclemore
Site Admin

Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Postby Starscream » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:18 pm

We just put up the mast and enclosure in the Westport boat launch parking. We walked to the Westport Marina for dinner and are sitting looking out over the lake. There are two other macgregor sailboats at the docks of the marina, an X and an M.

We'll stay the night on the hard an launch tomorrow morning.
Starscream
Captain

Return to Destinations, Clubs, Events and Venues