Florida keys mid July

Use this forum to announce, plan, and discuss events, cruises, regattas, shows, sailing destinations, events your club is planning, etc.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

whgoffrn
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Florida keys mid July

Post by whgoffrn » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:31 pm

Just thought id throw this out there to see if there are any out there that were considering a trip to the keys in mid july and want to join....me and my kids 12 and 13 go for 2 weeks or so and sleep on our boats in a little marina in islamorada thats not too expensive 750ish for the whole month and we go for lobster mini season ....everyone says mini season is a disaster but weve always found it tons of fun ...well mostly because we do the night bully netting thing ..YES FROM OUR INFLATABLE DINGHY ...(maxed out last year from a dinghy loll... anyways its insanely fun and ill even give up my lobster spot for bullynetting in the spirit of comradery to anyone wanting to go.... and walk you through the supplies (prob 200 bux in lights) for bullynetting and teach how its done

whgoffrn
Captain

Re: Florida keys mid July

Post by whgoffrn » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:40 pm

Or if anyone is seriously considering a trip to the dry tortugas i may consider changing plans to mix things up a bit....if dry tortugas though i need enough time to order a desalinator online and a couple other things as its a bit more off beaten path with no gas or water

RussMT
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by RussMT » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:27 am

I just looked up bullynetting. It does look like fun. Very informative site http://floridalobstering.com.

Ixneigh lives in the keys. You should PM him.

--Russ

whgoffrn
Captain

Post by whgoffrn » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:07 am

Yeah bully netting is the way to go....super easy and a lot of fun...we paid i think about 150 bux for 3 lights mounted easily on pvc pipe and we attach it to the dinghy just basically laying a 2x12 across the front of the dinghy and lashing the board down with rope... i steal one of my house batteries to power the lights and trolling motor ...takes about 1 hour to set up...we caught our limit in like 2 hours last year which included throwing several undersized ones back. Tons of fun

Ixneigh
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Ixneigh » Fri May 10, 2019 7:03 pm

Sounds cool but alas my boat will be on her trailer during that time. I was just down to the maquases area.

Ix