BVI 2019

Use this forum to announce, plan, and discuss events, cruises, regattas, shows, sailing destinations, events your club is planning, etc.
Tomfoolery
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: BVI 2019

Post by Tomfoolery »

I love the pictures. Please - keep them coming! 8) 8) 8)

My youngest is visiting with a friend who's from Puerto Rico, and she was surprised at how 'dirty' the water is around here. Lake Ontario, Erie Canal, etc. She's used to clear Florida and PR water, and can't believe we swim in this stuff. <sigh> :|
jimmy alonso
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by jimmy alonso »

Monday. Arrived @ St John, Majo Bay Checked in using the CBP Roam app easy but the first time it took a while to setup.
Was windy today 20 MPH sailed with just the main reefed, will sail to Culebra tomorrow and will have to check in again there.
New rudder brackets holding up fine.
Can you believe 4.03 NM while moored/anchored?

View of the Indians while sailing by. The Indians a snorkel / dive spot near Norman Island
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Hopefully not 4nm in a straight line while anchored/moored. Is it tracking your swinging?

Scenery is even lovely when hazy!
jimmy alonso
Engineer

Post by jimmy alonso »

Jimmy; that's swinging at anchor and on mooring ball. Yes its been hazy no rain though.
Did 32 NM today 28 sailed and 3.8 motor sailed wind died down for a while left at 7:30 AM arrived at Culebra 4 PM. Used CBP Roam App to check in.
Sailed the north coast of St Thomas this time.

Sailed wing on wing for hours the main sail was reefed but I took it out later during the day.

Dakity Culebra on a mooring ball.
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Nice! Love sailing downwind wing on wing. Beautiful scenery.
jimmy alonso
Engineer

Post by jimmy alonso »

Thursday Now moored at Caja de Muerto, Ponce. Sailed a lot since Tuesday weather turned windy today sailed with a reefed main only. After lunch quit sailing and motored here to Caja de Muerto wind was 20+ mph and tomorrow should be the same. Still have 40NM till homeport, will be a long day.
Stats : Sailed 147 NM
Motored 181 NM
Motor Sail 11.3 NM
Aprox . 344 NM should be back tomorrow.

Rainbow this morning @ Patillas
Lighthouse at Caja de Muerto island. Translation: Box of the Dead island
jimmy alonso
Engineer

Post by jimmy alonso »

Friday. Done with this years boat trip. 19 days aboard.
The Stats:

The route:

Cabo Rojo Light House:

Motored today because the forecast called for 20 mph wind and seas 4 to 6 feet when we left at 6:30 am weather was nice not windy at all and the waves were not bad either but with only 12 nm to go around 11:00 am bam 20 mph wind white waves. Glad I had no sails up, found the right speed and angle to make the ride better. The waves by the lighthouse were smaller. After rounding the lighthouse made it to the boat ramp good thin its Friday not many people there.
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

jimmy alonso wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:49 pm
The route:
Looks like you stopped in Arroyo. That long dock in the cove is where Martin Short’s character first saw the Wanderer, and first met Kurt Russell’s character, in ‘Captain Ron’. The neighborhood looks a whole lot less industrial these days, though. Very pretty on the waterfront now.

Of course, they were supposed to be in the fictional Ste. Pomme de Terre. The Ste. Haag scenes were filmed in Old San Juan (town shots) and the Puerto del Rey Marina in Bahia Demajaqua (high speed docking at the yacht club scene), which was a stopping point on their way to, well, San Juan. :D

Come to think of it, the party scene near the end (with the tattoos) was filmed at Paseo de la Princesa, on the west coast of San Juan.

I hope you post more pictures. I’m living vicariously through your travels. There’s only so much Erie Canal and Lake Ontario you can see before you’ve pretty much seen it all. :|
jimmy alonso
Engineer

Post by jimmy alonso »

Looks like you stopped in Arroyo. That long dock in the cove is where Martin Short’s character first saw the Wanderer, and first met Kurt Russell’s character, in ‘Captain Ron’. The neighborhood looks a whole lot less industrial these days, though. Very pretty on the waterfront now.
Stopped at Patillas it's 3 Miles from Arroyo. There is a lot of places along the south coast I'd stop as a backup to the normal places maybe I should drive by there and the others to check them out. Patillas is a calm anchorage there is food kiosks and a water faucet.
Yes Captain Ron was filmed here in many places even the Cuba part was done in Fajardo. Funny to see a movie when you recognize most of the places.
jimmy alonso
Engineer

Post by jimmy alonso »

Few more pics
The Lobster Trap
Anegada
Anegada Beach Club
The Bight
Norman Island
jimmy alonso
Engineer

Post by jimmy alonso »

This year had to replace the house battery (fell from ladder and cracked :( ) also the Blue Sea SOC meter would not read amperage.
So got a Fullriver DC115 amp hour deep cycle AGM battery also a Victron MPPT SmartSolar 100/30 charge controller and installed a Victron battery monitor Smart BMV712 and a temp sensor.
With the 360 watts of solar power was at 100% before noon. Running Engel fridge overnight with a fan and phones used 25 to 30 amp hours.
Screen shots from the Victron Apps :

The Charge Controller here says I produced 12 kilowatts and the days with the highest watt hours were on sailing days.
THE CUSCUS
First Officer
Sailboat: Venture 25

Post by THE CUSCUS »

Nice trip report. Thanks for sharing.
vulcan98
Deckhand

Post by vulcan98 »

Great adventure. She looks great in the Caribbean waters. Keep the updates coming & thanks for sharing.
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

jimmy alonso wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:22 am
Stopped at Patillas it's 3 Miles from Arroyo. There is a lot of places along the south coast I'd stop as a backup to the normal places maybe I should drive by there and the others to check them out.
Malecón de Arroyo is a cove within a cove, with a dock, though I don't know if that dock is usable by small boats. But you certainly could hide in there, even all the way to the east where the sand is, when threatened by weather. Always good to have many places to run to when the weather turns nasty, IMO. Don't know about those reefs (Arrecife Corona and Arrecife Algarrobo), though, and none of my charts include those waters. 8)

Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Beautiful pics. Thanks for posting!