Are there Lake Powell People on this Site?

Use this forum to announce, plan, and discuss events, cruises, regattas, shows, sailing destinations, events your club is planning, etc.
BOAT
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Are there Lake Powell People on this Site?

Post by BOAT »

Are there Lake Powell people on this site?

I thought a trip to Lake Powell would be cool but it's the kind of place that is so much better with a little local knowledge. I thought maybe if there might be any Lake Powell people that were planning a trip to Powell in 2021 they might let us some of us other MAC owners sort of tag along?

Would any of you guys be interested in a trip to Powell? It's probably going to be more motoring than sailing but for me I would like to park in the shallows and relax in the water with a beer and have some boat friends around. You can't really do that out in the Pacific Oceans where we do all our sailing - I thought it might be fun to slow down and have a party with other boat people. Powell seems like a good place for that.

Is it?
Chinook
Admiral

Re: Are there Lake Powell People on this Site?

Post by Chinook »

Lake Powell is a fascinating place to cruise, but it has its challenges. Lake level causes many issues. It hasn't been anywhere near full pool for decades. It was 130 feet below full pool when we cruised there in 2004. Launch ramp was 1/2 mile long just to reach water. The low level made us cruise the long way around, since many necks of land covered by water under better conditions were high and dry. It was often a long walk up the exposed bottom of the side canyons before you could reach natural vegetation above the flood zone. Thorny weeds were common on the exposed flats. You have to watch out for weather. Winds can get extremely gusty, with dramatic changes in direction. Anchoring is a challenge. Since it's a relatively new reservoir, and lacking the thousands of years required to develop a good silt/mud bottom, the holding is always suspect. Either loose sand or rock. Most boaters nose up to the beach with a stern anchor set, and a pair of bow lines going ashore, tied to rocks or set with anchors. All that said, it is beautiful country. Talk with Sumner Patterson, since he's explored the area in detail, including going the full distance up, sailing the whole way.
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

Sumner documents his trips so well. Give this a look. I too would love to visit this lake.

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner ... r-Mia.html
--Russ
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

we will wait to see if any Lake Powell people respond and see what they say about the water level that Chinook talks about - it would be nice to go there when the water level is real high - his post makes all the good reasons why I want to go with some locals.
Chinook
Admiral

Post by Chinook »

A quick google search for Lake Powell Lake level will let you know what the water level is. If it's still over 100 feet down, it's definitely cruisable, but with the problems I mentioned. At any level you need to be on your toes with visual navigation, since uncharted rocks can occur just below the surface when you go into more shallow areas. One benefit to being there when the water is down, involves a place known as the Cathedral in the Desert. It's located up the Escalante Arm. It's only accessible by boat when the lake is way down. It's an amazing place. You enter a winding slot canyon so narrow that it's impossible to turn around. Plenty deep though. After rounding a corner you enter this amazing amphitheater, several acres in size, with vertical to overhanging walls on all sides, and a stream flowing over a waterfall at the head. Very little open sky overhead. When we were there I had my wife drop me off next to the waterfall. I climbed up via a rope to the next level and then walked for half a mile up the slot canyon. Looking down on our boat from the top of the falls, our boat looked like a tiny toy.

I actually think the lake might be on the way up. I think the Rockies got a pretty decent snowpack this past winter. Definitely worth checking out.
Chinook
Admiral

Post by Chinook »

I just checked water level report for Lake Powell. As of today, the lake is 100 feet below full pool. This is 31 feet higher than last year on the same date. Snowpack in the drainage above the lake is 110% of average. Based on past water years, the lake should continue to rise till mid summer. This means that, while the lake won't fill, the water should be considerably higher than it has been in recent years. It would be a good year to go. I wouldn't get too hung up on connecting ahead of time with someone to go with. You'll be able to gain plenty of local knowledge by talking with other boaters who are out on the lake, as well as with marina operators. And if you do go, be sure to go up far enough to see Rainbow Bridge. It's an incredible place, and only accessible by water.
dlandersson
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by dlandersson »

You backed up for 1/2 a mile? :?
Chinook wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:49 pm Launch ramp was 1/2 mile long just to reach water.
Chinook
Admiral

Post by Chinook »

That launch ramp was incredible. I think I drove straight down and then did a U turn at the bottom, then backed in. The ramp is so wide, semi tractor trucks towing monstrous houseboats on trailers can make U turns at the bottom in one swing. As the lake kept dropping, they just kept lengthening the ramp. At 130 feet down, the water level was right at the end of the concrete ramp. We had to back off the concrete and onto lake bottom in order to launch. Long hike back down to the boat dock from the parking lot. (Ramp described is the one closest to the Glenn Canyon Dam.)
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

Chinook wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:36 pm A quick google search for Lake Powell Lake level will let you know what the water level is. If it's still over 100 feet down, it's definitely cruisable, but with the problems I mentioned. At any level you need to be on your toes with visual navigation, since uncharted rocks can occur just below the surface when you go into more shallow areas. One benefit to being there when the water is down, involves a place known as the Cathedral in the Desert. It's located up the Escalante Arm. It's only accessible by boat when the lake is way down. It's an amazing place. You enter a winding slot canyon so narrow that it's impossible to turn around. Plenty deep though. After rounding a corner you enter this amazing amphitheater, several acres in size, with vertical to overhanging walls on all sides, and a stream flowing over a waterfall at the head. Very little open sky overhead. When we were there I had my wife drop me off next to the waterfall. I climbed up via a rope to the next level and then walked for half a mile up the slot canyon. Looking down on our boat from the top of the falls, our boat looked like a tiny toy.

I actually think the lake might be on the way up. I think the Rockies got a pretty decent snowpack this past winter. Definitely worth checking out.
Chinook
Admiral

Post by Chinook »

That looks like a picture taken when the lake was within 6 feet of being full. I'm guessing it's up the Escalante Arm or maybe in an alcove near Rainbow Bridge. Can't be sure. I doubt it's the Cathedral in the Desert, since the water level is so high, but that place looks a lot like the pictures. One interesting thing about Lake Powell: since the rocks there are most often brick red in color, the water, which is generally very clear, assumes a jade green color. I assume that's a function of light working on those red rock walls.
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

I think the pictures were taken in 1980 or 81 therabouts? Could be 82 but not later for sure. I was up on the top in my dune buggy with another group - I was too old to sail with my dad by then (I was in my 20's) and was married and had other things going on but the family did share their pictures with me from that trip. It seemed like a fun place to relax. I have not been on the water there yet. I thought maybe sumner might meet us in one of the canyons. From what my dad told me it's a really perfect place for a shallow draft boat - that would be us. :)

My parents are long gone so I have no real advice or info about the place.

Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

Great pics BOAT
--Russ
Todd
Engineer

Post by Todd »

I booked a slip for ~$39 at Bullfrog marina labor day showing up Thurs night Sep 3 (hotel is $150-200 a night). Cavoite is that Bullfrog is mid-lake and I have at least 2 brothers showing up but they have ski boats, 1 has a house boat share as well so we have different experiences planned each day :D . Either way I will be back at the Marina each evening. I will probably want to do so sailing in there somewhere!

A quick conversation over the phone with the Marina was that they have powered docs and they only take a deposit for the first night. So if I cancel I am only out that much. The motel is non refundable so my brother is out $500 if he has to cancel.

This will be the first time we have really camped on the boat for multiple days on the water so looking forward to seeing how some of my mods work out.

It would be nice to meet anyone that can make it.

Todd
Todd
'07 26M

:macm:
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

That sounds really fun - I do not think I can be ready by then because we will be just coming back from Catalina at that time. We will see.
Curwen
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26D

Post by Curwen »

Been away the sight for a bit.

Need to check in with the admiral to see if she is interested in a trip like this.

Not too far of a trip from Salt Lake City.