Planning a trip up the Trent Severn Waterway

Use this forum to announce, plan, and discuss events, cruises, regattas, shows, sailing destinations, events your club is planning, etc.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

beene
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Planning a trip up the Trent Severn Waterway

Post by beene » Tue May 22, 2007 2:58 pm

Hi all

I am taking the family up the Trent from Simcoe to Georgian Bay Islands in June.

Going from HERE through HERE to HERE.

Anyone have any experience with this trip?

We are really looking forward to our first REAL TRIP on our :macm: .

Wish us luck.

Cheers

G

Alex
First Officer

Post by Alex » Tue May 22, 2007 3:38 pm

Nice trip. But ....Please open link and take a look days 113-116
http://www.integritycruise.com/
Find Capitan log and click it, or follow link
http://69.89.25.185/~trexsoft/t-rexsoft ... day112.htm

http://69.89.25.185/~trexsoft/t-rexsoft ... day113.htm

http://69.89.25.185/~trexsoft/t-rexsoft ... day114.htm

http://69.89.25.185/~trexsoft/t-rexsoft ... day115.htm

http://69.89.25.185/~trexsoft/t-rexsoft ... day116.htm

http://69.89.25.185/~trexsoft/t-rexsoft ... day117.htm

I think, to save money you need extra small motor 10-15hp. To much time under motor, low speed.... :? May be better way, drop boat at Midland marina and .... To much Fun !!

beene
Site Admin

Post by beene » Tue May 22, 2007 5:03 pm

Hi Alex and thanks for the links.

113 & 114 are the ones we will be doing.

Then it's on to the big island for 2 nights, then back through and home to Simcoe.

Will require 2 days of lock passes at $40 each time. Not bad for the experience factor.

May be less expensive to go the trailer route, but less fun for sure.

Cheers

G

Idle Time
First Officer

Post by Idle Time » Wed May 23, 2007 9:11 am

www.greatloop.com has a lot of boaters sites from people who have done the loop....the Trent-Severn is one of the popular routes and they have pictures and tales of it....there are a couple of pretty unusual locks...looks to be a very interesting trip. Take plenty of notes as we'll all be waiting to hear about it.

Frank C

Post by Frank C » Wed May 23, 2007 2:36 pm

Sorry guys, but I'm so dense I had to seek this Overview . . .

to gain a bit of context~ :wink:
Looks as if the Georgian Bay Islands are a terrific cruising ground. You'll have a MacBlast~!

Idle Time
First Officer

Post by Idle Time » Wed May 23, 2007 5:46 pm

If you think you will be doing more than 1 trip on the Trent-Seven....maybe it would be more cost effective to get a season pass...then you can use it anytime this summer...

ralphk
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

On my list too

Post by ralphk » Wed May 23, 2007 9:41 pm

I'm planning a one-way trip in early August.
Likely from Honey Harbour to Balsam lake allowing 3-4 leisurely days.
I'll need to drop off the Admiral and crew then get the tow vehicle to the end point.

1) Any suggestions about public transportation back to Georgian Bay.

2) Were you going to take the mast? - Some have suggested that it wasn't worth it.

Ralph k.

beene
Site Admin

Post by beene » Sun May 27, 2007 6:42 am

Idle Time,

Thanks for the feedback, I will try to document as much as I can. Those loopers really know how to have a great time. I would love to do that Loop once retired.

Frank,

MacBlast is right. I think the girls are going to remember this trip for the rest of their lives.

Ralph,

Their should be a bus or train that will take you back to Georgian bay. Any family avail to give you a lift?

As far as taking the mast...... hmmmmmm, I am leaning towards leaving it at home laying on the ground in the backyard, up on blocks or something. I have to take it down for almost all locks and bridges. Too much hassle and time waisted for this kind of trip IMHO. Besides, I will have a lot more deck area to walk around on with the mast/boo/stays in the way.

I will post pics and stories when the trip is completed.

Cheers

G

Catigale
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale » Sun May 27, 2007 7:00 am

Beene - think about this...if you make a mount on the bow pulpit that raises the mast you could probably use the bimini etc while under motor etc.....and if a sailing opp comes up you dont miss out!!

Ive thought about this on the :macx: where the bow roller is in the middle of the cockpit and really occupies space of course...the :macm: comes with that nice arch

Ive been inspired by this seeing all the keelboats going up the Hudson back to Canada via the Canal with the masts down and mounted up on lumber to make cockpit space of course.

beene
Site Admin

Post by beene » Sun May 27, 2007 3:28 pm

Decisions Decisions.....

Idle Time
First Officer

Post by Idle Time » Sun May 27, 2007 7:49 pm

http://www.geocities.com/bill_fiero/

Check out this website...this couple are my idols...they are living the life I would like to live....if Jim would give up the old cars we could sell out and take off.

They have a lot of good information on all of the places they've been...some on the Trent-Severn....but most any place that's been mentioned here ...they've been to....and they give some very interesting history.... the boat they travel in isnt a sailboat...but it's about the same size...maybe a bit shorter.....so with the big motors on the X's and M's....all of these places should be doable...

beene
Site Admin

Post by beene » Mon May 28, 2007 7:08 am

Very good :)

Thanks for the info Idle Time. 8)

Cheers

G

Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:56 am

This is where Beene is heading this week

Have a good time & enjoy that mac

John

beene
Site Admin

Post by beene » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:39 am

Wow John, those are some old pics.

When were they taken?

Thanks for the good wishes.

I have brought Pegasus home to finish her up and take her mast off. Yes that's right, we are going mastless. She looks so strange when standing in the cockpit with all that "stuff" gone. Looks bigger somehow. Lots of room to move around. Maybe through a towel down and sun tan for a while. Maybe I could convince the Admiral to lie on her back up there and tan the white mountains...... hmmmm.... on second thought..... I might get confused and follow the wrong buoy makers smacking into some of that beautiful Canadian Shield :!:

:o

G

Radonic
Just Enlisted

Did the trip with my Mac M26 2005

Post by Radonic » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:36 pm

Great Trip, I would strongly suggest, leaving your mast at home. You will be more comfortable on the boat without having to trip over all the shroads and lines. You can not go through locks with your mast up, there a tons of locks, and very little sailing opportunities. This is a trip to just enjoy the scenery and relax. Not to be rigging up and down at every lock, and tripping over lines.

As for Gas, I have a 50HP and did not find it expensive at all.

I did this trip last year, and I am doing it again this year. This time from Lake Ontario, all the way up to Simcoe....