Planning a trip up the Trent Severn Waterway

Use this forum to announce, plan, and discuss events, cruises, regattas, shows, sailing destinations, events your club is planning, etc.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

beene
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by beene » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:45 am

Hi Radonic

Just got back from our trip, loved it. :)

We left the mast at home also, passed several sailboats with the mast down, they had no room to walk the deck. :|

PITA to remove the mast though. I think next year we might leave her on and launch from Midland, sail/cruise Georgian Bay, drop the mast and go as far as Sparrow lake, turn around and go back to Midland. I was not too fussy about the 1 hour "walk" through the canal from 42 - Sparrow Lake. It was scorching hot and was not allowed to go over 10kmph to create a breeze for the kids to cool off. :(

We absolutely loved every other part though.

When you hit Simcoe, let me know and we can meet up if you wish. I keep Pegasus slipped at the Barrie Marina.

Cheers

G

tangentair
Admiral

Post by tangentair » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:39 pm

You (actually your charming children) just convinced me to rig a quick and easy mast removal system to the tree my M parks under. That looks spectacular and doable even from Chicago - did you see a way to launch the boat, drive to the other end and park, then catch a plane/train/automobile back?

beene
Site Admin

Post by beene » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:25 am

Best way I have found to remove the mast, without a tree system which sound cool, was to do it while the boat was in the water. That way you are standing at deck level, off the boat, and just step on and off with the mast on your shoulder, set it in the arch, go fwd while buddy hands you the foot and put it in the bow point. Much better than going up a ladder while she is on the trailer :o

As far as driving, launching rte, there are several launches all along the route, and you could take a bus from one area to the next. However, from ORD I would do the loop, go lake Mich, Lake Huron, Georgian Bay, enter system at Port Severn, exit at LK Ontario, stopping to visit me in Lk Simcoe of course, then take Lake Ont to L. Erie, L. Huron, Mich, and back home. But that depends on how much time you have of course, you did mention you could do it from ORD right???

G

tangentair
Admiral

Post by tangentair » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:41 pm

The really nice thing about the M is how it does 55 down the interstate (65 if it is a blue hull) I would swing around the bottom of the lake and cut across Mich. Put in some place north of Toronto and spend 2 or 3 days then is only 10 - 14 hours to get home

beene
Site Admin

Post by beene » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:24 am

Yep

From YYZ I took 401/402/Port Huron/I69/I94 at Battle Creek. Nice route.

Very flat for easy towing. Just hated those concrete roads in Mich vs pavement. It made the Mac bump back and forth all the way from ORD to Canada.

G

Jedaro
Deckhand

Post by Jedaro » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:29 pm

Diane and I have been down the Trent Severn system from Trenton to Port Severn and the Lake Simcoe to Port Severn a number of times as well as the Rideau system 3 times. We posted this cockpit modification with photo. This has enabled us to step our mast as we go through the canals. The mast tip comes close to the 20' maximum bridge clearance but not too close. We can raise the mast and attach the boom and be ready to sail in less than 30 minutes. This has been a great compromise. You should be aware that if there are low lying power lines and it is moist, humid and hot there may be an induced charge on your wheel so take care. Good sailing.
Consider the Rideau Canal as it is the canal's 175 anniversary and last week it was honoured by being named Canada's 14th World Heritage Site by UNESZCO

Mike Purdy Jedaro :macx:

EXTENDED MAST SUPPORT CRUTCH FOR DOWSAR FULL ENCLOSURE
MIKE AND DIANE PURDY—‘JEDARO’

For power cruising on the Rideau and Trent Canal systems during black fly and mosquito seasons as well as during inclement weather we had the following modification made for Jedare, our 26X.
1. A metal shop fabricated a longer crutch with roller to hold the mast when it was stepped. (71 ½” to axle of roller). The stepped mast is now approximately 16-18 feet high enabling the boat to get below all bridges and power lines in the Rideau and Trent canal systems. Because of the extra height and resulting instability in wake etc., the mast is lashed down at each side with non stretch roof top straps and the mast raising system takes part of the weight of the mast. We encountered absolutely no problems during our trips. Cost $60. CDN.

2. Our boat has a full enclosure, made by Dowsar (Hamilton). The stepped mast on the new crutch is higher than the dodger and transition unit between the bimini and dodger. The transition unit was taken to a sail maker who installed a double zipper going ½ way across so that both zippers can be tightened against the higher crutch to prevent leakage during heavy rain. Cost $20 CDN. This modification made it possible to go through the canal systems with the mast stepped AND have a full enclosure. We were both dry and bug-free and could now stand and move around without banging into mast and shrouds.

3We now rate the Dowsar enclosure incredible and well worth the money with this mod as it doubles the living space on the boat. As well with the windows closed the sun heats the boat especially after sunrise and during sunset. After talking to John Pegg at Dowsar, we discovered that they are now doing a modification along these lines (higher crutch/modified transition unit). See photo.

beene
Site Admin

Post by beene » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:02 am

That Dowsar encl gives me some definite ideas.

Costly add on to be sure.

I like the concept, just not the price tag :|

It's more than I paid for my Motor, installation, throttle, cables, all other add-ons combined to date.

Maybe in 20 years I will be able to afford one. :cry:

G