Single Line Reefing per Mike Inmon

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.
irayone
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Single Line Reefing per Mike Inmon

Post by irayone »

I have been studing the reefing set up...On my Old Catalina we just lowered the sail and tied off at the reefing clues with 1/8 inch cord around the boom.
Took seconds to do...no mess with all the ropes back to the cockpit. Can I reef like this on the Mac? or is all the stuff I have seen in the viedos necessary?
c130king
Admiral

Post by c130king »

irayone wrote:I have been studing the reefing set up...On my Old Catalina we just lowered the sail and tied off at the reefing clues with 1/8 inch cord around the boom.
Took seconds to do...no mess with all the ropes back to the cockpit. Can I reef like this on the Mac? or is all the stuff I have seen in the viedos necessary?
Sure you can. But it is awful nice when single-handing in 12-15kts of wind and then it starts gusting towards 20 and you are constantly fighting for control and rounding up to be able to heave to and reef that main down without climing up on the cabin top or otherwise leave the cockpit. It works like a charm. Some, including me, have had difficulties getting the clew down tight resulting in a not so nice sail shape, but single-line reefing works...and it is a fairly cheap mod.

I personally like having everything led to the cockpit.

I am going to switch to 2-line reefing for my single reefing point when I get back to the U.S.

Cheers,
Jim
atzserv
Engineer

Post by atzserv »

I have had 2 good responses from the single line reefing and one that didn't go well. I am going to look at 2 line reefing also. I have alot of things i want run to the cockpit and up to know I still have a little room left without things getting too out of control. I am now looking at the chutescoop possiblity run aft and that might be my stumbling blosk, but if it works I should have all the things iIwant aft.

Reffing when needed quickly is a great peace of mind.

Gary
dvideohd
First Officer

Post by dvideohd »

I don't have reefing on my boat now.. And I do think I need to get to work on it... :> A variety of ways on doing this, it seems... If you are single handing and need to reef, you sure don't need to be leaving the cockpit...

So it seems that several things need to be added.... My list so far...
- pulleys at the mast base for running lines to the cockpit..
- a mast plate (with an extra couple of bolts for reinforcing...
- deck organizers - on port and starboard...
- some line control HW and something to hold coiled up lines..

I can see an 8 line system... folks can comment about their own situation... For reefing - my "bad scenario" is to be out single handing - on the lake - and a fast moving front with lightening and massive downdrafts is coming in.. If you are planning for a microburst event, then things can happen very fast - so if I am up next to the mast, it would be not so unlikely to find myself in the water..

Jacklines are an item to consider as well.. If you are NEEDING to reef there are other safety things to consider..

--jerry
irayone
First Officer

Post by irayone »

Here in California I always look to the forcast so I know what to expect and if I expect I reef eairly.
The beauty in the Mac is drop the sail and start the motor.....
DaveC426913
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by DaveC426913 »

Links in opening post have rotted.

I don't suppose the OP wants to update the pics? Or if anyone esle has a layout of their single-handed reefing system?
beene
Site Admin

Post by beene »

The OP is long gone from this site

Upgraded to a Catalina 380 over 10 years ago
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

i wonder what Mike Inmon is up to after all these years?
BestMACSailor

Post by BestMACSailor »

BOAT wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:32 am i wonder what Mike Inmon is up to after all these years?
He said he was working w roger on that 70M What ever happened to that. Did it sink?
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

Yes, I am bringing this old post up yet again. I am about to build a single line reefing method for the M boat that does not require any added work for us trailer people.

I bought the single line system from BWY a long time ago but hardly use it because it needs to be completely dismantles when I trailer. I will modify the BWY system so that you pull the line from the end of the boom thus eliminating the need to run lines down the mast to cockpit eyes. That way the entire reef system stays on the boom with the main so when I stow the main on the boom for trailering I don't need to remove my reefing lines.

You don't need to read all the old postings but some of the main points made are:

1 - Most of us need to turn into the wind to get the pressure off the main to lower it into reef position and this of course is happening in 20 knot winds
(that's why we are reefing!) So working at the end of the boom is not out of the question even in high winds.

2 - Per Captain Mike Inmon we need a block at the luff cringle to make this method work smoothly.

And there lies my first problem - I can't figure out how you attach a block to the reefing cringle! The pictures in the older postings don't work, so how do I do it??
pitchpolehobie
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by pitchpolehobie »

BOAT wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:41 am Yes, I am bringing this old post up yet again. I am about to build a single line reefing method for the M boat that does not require any added work for us trailer people.

I bought the single line system from BWY a long time ago but hardly use it because it needs to be completely dismantles when I trailer. I will modify the BWY system so that you pull the line from the end of the boom thus eliminating the need to run lines down the mast to cockpit eyes. That way the entire reef system stays on the boom with the main so when I stow the main on the boom for trailering I don't need to remove my reefing lines.

You don't need to read all the old postings but some of the main points made are:

1 - Most of us need to turn into the wind to get the pressure off the main to lower it into reef position and this of course is happening in 20 knot winds
(that's why we are reefing!) So working at the end of the boom is not out of the question even in high winds.

2 - Per Captain Mike Inmon we need a block at the luff cringle to make this method work smoothly.

And there lies my first problem - I can't figure out how you attach a block to the reefing cringle! The pictures in the older postings don't work, so how do I do it??
Very interested in single line reefing. Will follow and order whatever you get to make this happen on my 26x. thanks BOAT.
2002 MacGregor 26X: Remedium
Tohatsu 25HP
Cruising Area: Inland Ohio, Lake Erie