Sheet to wheel steering (basic drawing)

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

quintamala
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Sheet to wheel steering (basic drawing)

Post by quintamala » Tue May 11, 2010 6:11 pm

Hello to all.
I have been searching around a long time figuring out how to transfer sheet to wheel o my 26X.
The idea is shown on the next image.
Could such an concept be useful to help steering in steady courses (off course also steady winds)???..
My idea is to find average tensión on genoa and calculate the lever lenght to find enough power to shift the wheel when on-wind courses.
Sounds OK? :cry:

Hamin' X
Site Admin
Location: Hermiston, OR-----------2001 26X DF-50 Suz---------------(Now Sold)

Re: Sheet to wheel steering (basic drawing)

Post by Hamin' X » Tue May 11, 2010 9:41 pm

~Rich

THE CUSCUS
First Officer
Sailboat: Venture 25

Post by THE CUSCUS » Wed May 12, 2010 3:43 pm

Why would you want or need such a set-up? There should be a way to release the sheet in a hurry though, to avoid problems with sudden wind/course changes.

jschrade
First Officer

Post by jschrade » Wed May 12, 2010 5:11 pm

Maybe you are looking for something like this?

http://www.hydrovane.com/OurProduct.html

Jim :macm:

Love MACs
Captain
Location: Eddyville, KY; 2002 X, 50hp Merc-4 stroke: Dream Chaser

Post by Love MACs » Wed May 12, 2010 9:56 pm

Not to belittle your idea but I can find no use for it. You know with enough time and money you could almost make this boat do anything but to what end? I applaud your ingenuity and if you are having fun trying to come up with new ideas then go for it. NOW, if you could get this Mac to brew beer and make cheeseburgers, then you might be on to something :!: 8)

Allan

quintamala
Deckhand

Post by quintamala » Thu May 13, 2010 3:22 am

Hello again.
To "jschrade"...: Hidrovane as other wind-to-rudder systems are ideal for other boats with in-board motors. I can´t imagine something similar for the 26X/M, with the outboard, rudder linkage , etc., .

To Love MACs: .: I use to sail alone and, sometimes, after a couple of hours at the wheel I need a break. I have tried wheel brakes, an some other emergency hook ups detailed in the past in Macgregor Sailors pages without too much success. This is just one more idea. I don´t want either,to spend money in electrical autopilot, batteries dependency and/or weight.... And that´s is all about.

Thnaks you both.

bartmac
Captain

Post by bartmac » Thu May 13, 2010 5:42 am

We've found a raymarine sportpilot to work really well.Bought 2nd hand on ebay for all of $228,easily installed and very effective.An adjustment to our forestay to reduce weather helm now means the sportpilot is not overpowered as readily and the ability to let go and also adjust at any time has freed up my hands for other tasks.When motoring it really comes into it's own especially as we only have a 15hp 4 stroke.....8-9knots 2/3 revs 2 or so litres per hour with ballast in......no desire to plane our 26 foot sailboat....the world goes fast enough as is......just a floating caravan

Love MACs
Captain
Location: Eddyville, KY; 2002 X, 50hp Merc-4 stroke: Dream Chaser

Post by Love MACs » Thu May 13, 2010 1:14 pm

Haven't used the idea yet, but someone on this board brought up the thought of just using a bungee cord tied/connected to the wheel and then to backstay/rear rails/ rear cleat, or other secured area. Sounds like it ought to work for a quick run down below for a short lunch or potty break, not for long term use I would think. And you have to admit it is cheap enough :!: 8)

Allan

jschrade
First Officer

Post by jschrade » Thu May 13, 2010 1:56 pm

quintamala wrote:Hello again.
To "jschrade"...: Hidrovane as other wind-to-rudder systems are ideal for other boats with in-board motors. I can´t imagine something similar for the 26X/M, with the outboard, rudder linkage , etc., .

To Love MACs: .: I use to sail alone and, sometimes, after a couple of hours at the wheel I need a break. I have tried wheel brakes, an some other emergency hook ups detailed in the past in Macgregor Sailors pages without too much success. This is just one more idea. I don´t want either,to spend money in electrical autopilot, batteries dependency and/or weight.... And that´s is all about.

Thnaks you both.
I hear you and somewhat on the same quest (which brought me across the wind-to-rudder solution. What I am looking at right now is lashing the wheel (in whatever fashion) and trimming the boat to sail straight (i created a thread with some videos). Certainly not a long term solution but would allow a trip to the cabin and the ability to relax for a bit in the cockpit.

I haven't worked out driving with my toes yet!

:)

Jim :macm:

The Mutt
Captain
Location: Springwood, NSW, devinetemptations.com/macgregor26x.htm

Post by The Mutt » Thu May 13, 2010 4:42 pm

The balance of a Macgregor while under sail is excellent, when my old sailing mate and I were out for the day with our wives we tweeked the sail positions (main and genoa) till we were happy then let go of the wheel, the heading didn't alter by more than 1 degree and remained on that course for 10 minutes, we could have continued but would have needed wheels under the boat.

We were both very impressed, every other boat we have done this test on has lasted less than 2 minutes.

NOTE: I never left the control seat unattended ... safety first.

Glenn