It really works!

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.

Moderators: kmclemore, beene, NiceAft, Catigale, Hamin' X

roril
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26D

It really works!

Post by roril » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:21 am

I was lucky enough to have MacGregor use my 1988 26D for some testing back in December. In return, my boat was buffed out and I was given the parts to convert the mast to a rotating mast. You check out the Mac Mods for that information.

I have been testing the new rotating mast setup and yesterday I had a perfect day on Lake Pyramid (near Gorman California). The lake was FLAT/Dead Calm when I motored out into the middle. With no wind that you see or feel, I was able to ghost along at .7 knots with no jib. At noon the wind started to come up and in no time I was hitting 6+ knots on just the main. The rotating mast moved easily with each tack. I normally have to make four tacks to get around the island and with the new mast setup, I was making in in just two. The boat points better and the power from just the main is "WOW!" I opened the PVC furling jib a few times and had my hands full. I orginally though that the boat would heal less but the jury is still out on that one.

The shape of the sail is beautiful and you can see the difference right off the bat. I still have a lot to learn about trimming the main but at 5-6 knots, I’m good to go.

In conclusion, I would highly recommend this mod. Trust me, "You will love it"! :D :D :D

A big thank you Roger MacGregor and Mike Inmon. You guys "Rock"!

mastreb
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: It really works!

Post by mastreb » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:26 pm

Good to know! Not having the same boat with and without the rotating mast, it's hard to tell.

pokerrick1
Admiral
Sailboat: Venture 23

Post by pokerrick1 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:04 pm

The rotating mast was a wonderful innovation for the Mac - - - when the mast rotates and the "locks" into place the last foot - - - you can feel the surge of power in the Mainsail.

Sometimes my mast would not rotate FULLY so I put a line from the bottom of the mast to the cockpit - - - then when I had to tug on the line to get the mast to rotate all the way, I could feel the difference once it rotated fully!!!

Rick

Newell
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Newell » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:44 pm

roril wrote:I was lucky enough to have MacGregor use my 1988 26D for some testing back in December. In return, my boat was buffed out and I was given the parts to convert the mast to a rotating mast. You check out the Mac Mods for that information.

I have been testing the new rotating mast setup and yesterday I had a perfect day on Lake Pyramid (near Gorman California). The lake was FLAT/Dead Calm when I motored out into the middle. With no wind that you see or feel, I was able to ghost along at .7 knots with no jib. At noon the wind started to come up and in no time I was hitting 6+ knots on just the main. The rotating mast moved easily with each tack. I normally have to make four tacks to get around the island and with the new mast setup, I was making in in just two. The boat points better and the power from just the main is "WOW!" I opened the PVC furling jib a few times and had my hands full. I orginally though that the boat would heal less but the jury is still out on that one.

The shape of the sail is beautiful and you can see the difference right off the bat. I still have a lot to learn about trimming the main but at 5-6 knots, I’m good to go.

In conclusion, I would highly recommend this mod. Trust me, "You will love it"! :D :D :D

A big thank you Roger MacGregor and Mike Inmon. You guys "Rock"!
:?:

I talked to you at HPCC and I am still interested in how your performance improves. Is the factory going to sell conversion kits to do this mod? :?:

Crikey
Admiral
Location: Washago, Muskoka, Ontario, Canada, Earth, Singularity.Suzuki DF60A. Boat name: Crikey!

Post by Crikey » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:25 pm

Though I'm going to enhance the bearing with the BWY fitting, it intrigues me whether adding control lines can put some extra turning/tuning into this function.
Is there something more there when Rick sits on it and does some extra rotation? :D

roril
Deckhand

Post by roril » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:20 pm

pokerrick1 wrote:The rotating mast was a wonderful innovation for the Mac - - - when the mast rotates and the "locks" into place the last foot - - - you can feel the surge of power in the Mainsail.

Sometimes my mast would not rotate FULLY so I put a line from the bottom of the mast to the cockpit - - - then when I had to tug on the line to get the mast to rotate all the way, I could feel the difference once it rotated fully!!!

Rick
Mike told me that I would feel the power when the mast rotated. In light wind, as I tack, I can watch the mast rotate and feel the difference. He also mentioned that you don't have to use the jib as much so you can see where you are going better. I really like this.
Next up is a new "M" mast with two extra feet and a bigger sail. I like Mike's furling main setup where you can raise/lower the main for your comfort level and that of the screaming crew (wife has a squeal meter).

Thanks for your input!

roril
Deckhand

Post by roril » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:48 pm

Newell---I don't think that they will advertise the Mod per say, but you can buy the parts from MacGregor to do the mod. I know of one other in northern California that has done this. Give Mike a call. He has made many Mods to his 26D. I figure that with this Mod, I have increased the value and performance of this boat.
Bottom line: It was not hard to do, took a few days as I worked very slowly, and the cost should be less than $400-500. (just guessing) Biggest thing is to decide to cut the side stays or raise the new hounds 2-3 inches and drill new holes. I went with new holes. Cutting the wires meant buying new fittings $$$$$$$$$.

Next test will be to lock the mast in stock position, note the speed and then let it rotate and watch for the increase.

roril
Deckhand

Post by roril » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:49 pm

Crikey wrote:Though I'm going to enhance the bearing with the BWY fitting, it intrigues me whether adding control lines can put some extra turning/tuning into this function.
Is there something more there when Rick sits on it and does some extra rotation? :D
:D :D :D

Now that I have had it in action, I'm not sure the control is needed unless it gets stuck.

Terry
Admiral

Post by Terry » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:09 pm

Crikey wrote:Though I'm going to enhance the bearing with the BWY fitting, it intrigues me whether adding control lines can put some extra turning/tuning into this function.
When you order the BWY fitting/bearing oder more than 1, like 2-3 as they are a wear out item that lasts about one or two seasons tops. I have been using them for several seasons now and found they last 2 seasons at most.
I also have control lines because even with the bearing the mast does not rotate that readily in light airs. I have a tightly tuned rig so the control lines help.

Crikey
Admiral
Location: Washago, Muskoka, Ontario, Canada, Earth, Singularity.Suzuki DF60A. Boat name: Crikey!

Post by Crikey » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:13 am

Terry wrote:
When you order the BWY fitting/bearing oder more than 1, like 2-3 as they are a wear out item that lasts about one or two seasons tops. I have been using them for several seasons now and found they last 2 seasons at most.
I also have control lines because even with the bearing the mast does not rotate that readily in light airs. I have a tightly tuned rig so the control lines help.
Thanks for the tip terry! Have you tried to add to the wind driven rotation of the mast? I'm thinking a little extra curve at the leading edge, under some conditions, would be somewhat similar to a low speed slat on an aircraft wing and might generate more lift.
R.

Newell
First Officer

Post by Newell » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:00 am

roril wrote:Newell---I don't think that they will advertise the Mod per say, but you can buy the parts from MacGregor to do the mod. I know of one other in northern California that has done this. Give Mike a call. He has made many Mods to his 26D. I figure that with this Mod, I have increased the value and performance of this boat.
Bottom line: It was not hard to do, took a few days as I worked very slowly, and the cost should be less than $400-500. (just guessing) Biggest thing is to decide to cut the side stays or raise the new hounds 2-3 inches and drill new holes. I went with new holes. Cutting the wires meant buying new fittings $$$$$$$$$.

Next test will be to lock the mast in stock position, note the speed and then let it rotate and watch for the increase.
Roril,

Having seen your boat, I feel unobservant by asking this, do you have a backstay still? Secondly, did you move the chain plates back or just add new ones. Are the new spreaders the same lenghth overall as your stock spreaders and does the new geometry of the stays change the relationship of the fully deployed Genoa, like are there any prolems with the sail touching the stays?

Perhaps the best way to compare the sailing improvement is a little match racing nest year at HPCC.

Newell

Newell
First Officer

Post by Newell » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:06 am

roril wrote:Newell---I don't think that they will advertise the Mod per say, but you can buy the parts from MacGregor to do the mod. I know of one other in northern California that has done this. Give Mike a call. He has made many Mods to his 26D. I figure that with this Mod, I have increased the value and performance of this boat.

Roril,

Having seen your boat, I feel unobservant by asking this, do you have a backstay still? Secondly, did you move the chain plates back or just add new ones. Are the new spreaders the same lenghth overall as your stock spreaders and does the new geometry of the stays change the relationship of the fully deployed Genoa, like are there any problems with the sail touching the stays? Is there gain in weight alot from this mod?

Perhaps the best way to compare the sailing improvement is a little match racing next year at HPCC :wink: .

Newell :idea:

pokerrick1
Admiral
Sailboat: Venture 23

Post by pokerrick1 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:40 am

Crikey wrote: it intrigues me whether adding control lines can put some extra turning/tuning into this function.
Of course one can skip the control line and just use the boom to rotate the mast all the way, which is what I used to do, but I didn't want to get caught in a wind shift while standing up near or beside the boom.

Rick