boomvange for second mainsheet

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.
philip8614
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: MacGregor 26D

boomvange for second mainsheet

Post by philip8614 »

Hi, I was wondering if I could use my factory boomvang as a second mainsheet on my 1988 26d. I am on a pretty tight budget right now and a traveler is just not in the cards right now so I was thinking about installing a couple of pad eyes on either side of the mainsheet deck attachment. I don't need a boomvang downwind and I don't need a traveler upwind. This would give my all the advantages of a traveler and preventer costing under a couple of bucks. Any thoughts? :| Thank you
Johnacuda
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: boomvange for second mainsheet

Post by Johnacuda »

I like that idea! As long as you have as sheet that is long enough I'd say, "go for it."
philip8614
Just Enlisted

Post by philip8614 »

Looks like I was backwards about when the boomvang will be available to be used as a second mainsheet but I might add another mainsheet if that is cheaper than a traveler 8) Ha, I was wondering why I couldn't find any info on doing this mod. Now, I am wondering how much speed I could gain from a traveler and if it's worth messing with it right now?
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

I do something like that once in a while on my :macx: . I have a couple of light eye straps that I use to secure the boom from swinging at anchor or at the dock by moving the main sheet lower fiddle block to one side, and a single line with snap hooks to the other side. But I can also put a line to the upwind side when sailing just to pull the boom over a little bit more than it wants to go without flattening the sail too much.

I don't see any reason you can't do what you're thinking of doing, in other words. Just make sure the attachments on the deck or rail are well supported, as a sudden gust can put a lot of load on any bit of rigging.
socal sailer
Sailboat: MacGregor 25

Post by socal sailer »

you'll be better off getting a traveler, there are plenty of used ones available. Check boat salvage yards, ask a few boat yards sometimes they scrap boats and save the parts.
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

But that begs the question, if the 26C has a pop-top, where do you put the traveler so it's not in the way? Big boats have room for them, or an arch so it's overhead, but what about the 26C?
philip8614
Just Enlisted

Post by philip8614 »

Thanks for all the responses :) I will go ahead and install the pad eyes for now and play around with that for a while until I can find a traveler in my price range. There are no salvage yards in my area so a traveler would have to come from ebay when it does happen. As for mounting location; I will probably try to get a low profile traveler and install it where the mainsheet attaches at the cockpit. This should keep it out of the way and I wouldn’t have to alter my mainsheet purchase.
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

philip8614 wrote:As for mounting location; I will probably try to get a low profile traveler and install it where the mainsheet attaches at the cockpit. This should keep it out of the way and I wouldn’t have to alter my mainsheet purchase.
I just downloaded the manual from this site, and I see that there is a seat of sorts at the companionway, which I didn't know. The :macx: doesn't have that. That makes sense then. And I've had good luck so far buying expensive boat parts for cheap on ebay. Things like blocks, and whisker poles, and compasses. FWIW. Good luck with it, and post some pics (perhaps in the modifications area) when you do it. 8)
Seapup
Captain

Post by Seapup »

Thanks for all the responses :) I will go ahead and install the pad eyes for now and play around with that for a while until I can find a traveler in my price range. There are no salvage yards in my area so a traveler would have to come from ebay when it does happen. As for mounting location; I will probably try to get a low profile traveler and install it where the mainsheet attaches at the cockpit. This should keep it out of the way and I wouldn’t have to alter my mainsheet purchase.
Instead of padeyes you can also use stainless cleats so they serve double duty on the front cockpit combings. I found the front of the combings work better than roof if you are going to use the stock vang, it is an awkward yank to uncleat when its up on the roof. My buddy has the traveler across the front seat of his mac 22 and does not use it often as it gets in the way with his kids. For the X I settled on mainsheets to the stantion bases to keep them entirely out of the cockpit and then run them back next to the Jib EZ cleats for convenience.

Attached to boom and out of the cockpit.

Lines from the roof back to where they are easily accessible.

budgates
Engineer

Post by budgates »

I had the exact same idea as Philip and even ordered the padeyes last week. They arrived Monday and I hope to get them installed this week so that I can use the system Labor Day weekend. These padeyes will already serve double duty because they will also hold the forward straps of our bimini.

I considered a traveler but couldn't find a clean way of installing it without cluttering up the cockpit and adding a trip-hazard in front of the companionway.
mastreb
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by mastreb »

Although I only rigged it to test, I do like the ideal of dual mainsheets to the cabin top rather than a traveler. It also works as good gybe preventer, and it's out of the way unlike all of the stock mainsheet attachment points.

I've become a big fan of the way the mainsheet is rigged on my new boat and think it would make a great mod for the Mac.

1) Tie off the bitter end of the mainsheet to the boom mainsheet hound with a bowline knot.

2) Run the mainsheet down to a spring-block mounted just forward of the port cabin-top winch and turn around back to the boom.

3) Turn the mainsheet around a shackle block hanging from the boom bottom just forward of the hound.

4) run the mainsheet down from the hanging shackle block to a spring-block mounted just forward of the starboard side cabin-top winch.

5) Turn the mainsheet back to the boom, and turn it through a second hanging shackle-block forward on the boom towards the mast.

6) Turn the mainsheet back towards the cabin with a shackle block on the mast foot eye, or wherever else at the mast won't interfere with your vang arrangement.

7) Mount a cam-cleat or rope clutch (or just use the cam cleats already there for the jib sheets if you use EZ Cleats on the gunnels) on the cabin top to control the mainsheet.

You get a 4:1 purchase from the blocks just like a regular mainsheet. It hardens up tight on the centerline for pointing, and lets out to either side as easily as any normal mainsheet arrangement. The mainsheet makes an "A" above the cabin top hatch, out of the way of the cockpit and no trouble for those transiting the companionway.

Implementing it requires mounting two spring blocks and three shackle blocks, all of which is easier than mounting a traveller on anything.

philip8614
Just Enlisted

Post by philip8614 »

I'm am glad to see this has sparked some interest and eagerly am awaiting your results. I on the other hand am repairing some daggerboard damage :P Please keep the ideas flowing. Great ideas and great pictures guys!