Internal fixing setup for triple rope clutch/deck organisers

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.
marcopolo173
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Internal fixing setup for triple rope clutch/deck organisers

Post by marcopolo173 »

Hi all,

I'm interested in pursuing installation of triple rope clutches like Jose Teixeira's setup as shown halfway down in the attached link:

http://macgregorsailors.com/phpBB/viewt ... =8&t=17434

What I'm interested in is any feedback on the arrangement for the fixings and reinforcement on the inside of the boat - I've got a 2001 26X and it feels like there's a bit of a gap on the starboard side in the head roof between the deck and internal lining. Similar but less of a gap on the port side where the aft internal light is situated, not many clues as to the deck thickness at the location of the fwd deck organisers.

Is it as simple as a thru bolt (through both deck and internal lining) with either penny washer or reinforcing plate on the internal liner ceiling? (and not forgetting leak sealant) Or do you open up the internal liner and put the washer on the underside of the deck and use a BWY liner cap???

Any information much appreciated, keen to get as much info as possible prior to drilling holes!

Thanks, Marc
tlgibson97
First Officer

Re: Internal fixing setup for triple rope clutch/deck organi

Post by tlgibson97 »

I would drill through both the deck and the liner from the top. Then widen the hole in the liner to accept whatever size cap you want to use. Be aware of the area around the head where there might not be access to the bolts from the inside. I wouldn't put a nut and washer on the liner. It's very thin and will flex when you tighten the nuts.

If for some reason you want to use a full backing plate under the clutch, you can remove a larger portion of the liner and create an access panel to cover the hole.
Spector
First Officer

Post by Spector »

I did as stated above when I installed mine. Bought hole plugs from BWY to fill new holes in liner. I just used washers for backing. Plenty of strength for the forces that will be on the clutches.
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

I agree with the above posters. You have to back them up on the underside of the cabin roof, not the liner, which means either cutting an access panel, or just drilling out the through-holes in the liner for standard plugs. It's how most of the other deck attachments were done.

Rope clutches, for the most part, don't exert much uplift on the attaching hardware, if they're low profile at least. Washers should be fine.
RobertB
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by RobertB »

If you install the clutches near the winches at the companionway, you may be surprised how much access you have to the underside of the deck thru the access points already on the stock boat.
marcopolo173
Deckhand

Post by marcopolo173 »

Whilst there's been a bunch of posts around lines led aft and clutches/powercleats, I haven't really found anything on the topic of how other owners managed the aspect of internal fixings (apart from one photo I remember from about 18 months ago which frustratingly I can't find).

Thanks for the valued feedback guys, gives me a bit of confidence and some good ideas.