mac 26X

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.
ian

mac 26X

Post by ian »

Hi Guys
just bought my dream boat the 26x , I looked at a few that were available but very over priced and knocked around , i found one 743klm away and it is good apart from one thing I can't find the main sheet traveler ???. Can anyone tell me if it is supposed to bolt on to the bolts that hold the ladder in the cabin ? there is no sign of where it was fitted and the last owner just motored around , the sails are like new , the interior is like new , one or two small scratches on the outside but otherwise very good . I'm just wondering if it ( the mainsail traveller ) has been removed because it was not needed as it was a power boat only, apparently the last owner put the sail up once the boat heeled over the wife fell off and that was the end of sailing and from that day on it was Honda power and has sat in the shed for the last three years. So guys I'm not so familiar with the mac but surly it has a main traveller on all models ?. cheers Ian
RGF
Engineer

Re: mac 26X

Post by RGF »

Nope, sorry ian , traveler was not factory equipment.
dlandersson
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by dlandersson »

Sounds a lot like the PO of my 26X. :D
ian wrote:Hi Guys
just bought my dream boat the 26x , I looked at a few that were available but very over priced and knocked around , i found one 743klm away and it is good apart from one thing I can't find the main sheet traveler ???. Can anyone tell me if it is supposed to bolt on to the bolts that hold the ladder in the cabin ? there is no sign of where it was fitted and the last owner just motored around , the sails are like new , the interior is like new , one or two small scratches on the outside but otherwise very good . I'm just wondering if it ( the mainsail traveller ) has been removed because it was not needed as it was a power boat only, apparently the last owner put the sail up once the boat heeled over the wife fell off and that was the end of sailing and from that day on it was Honda power and has sat in the shed for the last three years. So guys I'm not so familiar with the mac but surly it has a main traveller on all models ?. cheers Ian
Jimmyt
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Jimmyt »

I believe the main sheet runs from the boom to the steering pedestal on the X boat. No traveler. On a positive note, you won't have to figure out how to get through the main sheet/traveler to hit the head.
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

As stated, no traveler, and no place to put one unless you like climbing over one spanning the cockpit seats.

There's a strap eye bolted to the helm, either on top, or on the forward face, for the main sheet lower block. But a lot of folks, me included, have installed the pedestal guard with main sheet attachment to the helm, which is a nice addition. That, and ball-bearing fiddle blocks instead of the originals. Bluewater Yachts (usually just BWY on this forum) has both, and they're the main parts supplier for Macs. And an advertiser here.

Pedestal Guard: http://bwyachts.com/web%20catalog%20312 ... _guard.htm

Main Sheet Airblocks: http://bwyachts.com/web%20catalog%20312 ... blocks.htm

It's a slippery slope - lots of goodies to make more-than-minor improvements to the boat. I've got a birthday coming up. Time for a bow roller. :D :wink:

Oh, and BWY's parts search pages are finicky. Not all versions of all browsers work, so if using IE (for instance), use compatibility mode if the search window dropdowns don't work right.
Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

Hi Tom
remember these r Canadian Dollars !!
http://victory-products.com/collections ... ing?page=4

Food for thought :)

J 8)
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

Thanks for that, John. Some of those look like Chinese dollars. :D Or is it :cry: ?

I was thinking of going with the BWY anchor roller for $98 US. Small, but I keep my Fortress in the anchor locker anyway. Though I want to move to a better main anchor, as the Fortress is a bit small, and the next size up won't fit the locker. But someone mentioned not too long ago that they store their anchor (Delta? Rocna? Bruce?) on the roller, and the flared opening allows using the dock cleats for the anchor without chafe (hopefully).

Didn't mean to divert the discussion. Carry on.
DaveB
Admiral
Location: Cape Coral, Florida,1997 Mac. X, 2013 Merc.50hp Big Foot, sold 9/10/15

Post by DaveB »

The stock BWY anchor roller is not for permanent mount on MacX 26 , You can't carry your anchor on the roller underway and use it as a anchor platform on the hook.
This one you can.
http://macgregorsailors.com/forum/viewt ... 86#p308286
Dave
Tomfoolery wrote:Thanks for that, John. Some of those look like Chinese dollars. :D Or is it :cry: ?

I was thinking of going with the BWY anchor roller for $98 US. Small, but I keep my Fortress in the anchor locker anyway. Though I want to move to a better main anchor, as the Fortress is a bit small, and the next size up won't fit the locker. But someone mentioned not too long ago that they store their anchor (Delta? Rocna? Bruce?) on the roller, and the flared opening allows using the dock cleats for the anchor without chafe (hopefully).

Didn't mean to divert the discussion. Carry on.
Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »