Rigging the anchor - when? (No anchor locker)

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.

Moderators: beene, Hamin' X, tangentair, kmclemore, Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod

vizwhiz
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Rigging the anchor - when? (No anchor locker)

Post by vizwhiz » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:14 pm

So a quick question about how you rig your anchor and rode for a weekend of sailing? S boats don't have a topsides anchor locker, so have to disconnect for storage. Also, meaning not just a few hours of tooling around, but when you plan to stay on board for a whole day at a a time, or overnight on the hook.
This has to do with when you attach your rode to the chain and wire-tie the shackle, or when you attach the chain to the anchor and wire-tie it? When do you do it, and why do you do it when you do it?
Thanks!

ris
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Rigging the anchor - when? (No anchor locker)

Post by ris » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:51 am

Check out Sumner's page. He and other S & D folks use a basket or cooler tied to the pulpit to hold the anchor rode.

grady
Captain

Post by grady » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:53 am

Yes check out how Summer did his. I have not had my anchors on the boat for over a year now but the tubes stay there and do not get in the way of anything. Everyone asks me what they are for and I always tell them for mortars when there is a boat in front of me.

On mine the Bruce anchor has a cheap cooler with a plastic liner holding the rode. It is strapped to the pulpit. About 6 ft of chain and then 50 ft of rope. The other anchor has abut 4 ft of chain and 15 ft of rope and if just looped around the anchor. My anchor depth is generally around 6 ft and in mud on my lake.

In this picture I have not put the other tube on for the other anchor yet.

budgates
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26D

Post by budgates » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:46 am

I keep my rode attached and carry it on deck in an anchor bag from West Marine. http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-mari ... ecordNum=3

sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:28 pm

I use the same idea as the mortar tube on the pulpit (bow rail), you never know when you will need to deploy your anchor in a hurry, so its an elegant and cheap solution, I have had to deploy mine quickly when the motor died (rotten fuel) and the boat was being pushed into a mooring field, deployment time was around 20 seconds, appreciation of anchor setup 150% :D

vizwhiz
Admiral

Post by vizwhiz » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:14 am

Thanks to everyone...
I'm thoroughly familiar with Sumner's setup, and agree that he has a good system. I have a mortar tube and a soft-sided cooler bag for the rode also, having followed Sumner's suggestions! :wink:

I'm assuming you don't leave your rode bag on the deck on the trailer when you are traveling or storing the boat between trips...and also presumptively assumed you don't trailer the boat with the anchor in the mortar tube. Since everything I've read recommends wire tie for the shackles between anchor and chain, and between chain and rode, to prevent them from loosening and coming apart, this means at some point you carry a heavy anchor onto the deck and load it in the tube (or do you trailer with the anchor in the mortar tube)? Do you leave your chain attached to the anchor, meaning a lot more weight to carry and handle, or do you attach it when you bring up the anchor and take the time to wire tie the shackle during that setup process? Do you leave your rode attached to the chain each time (instead of the anchor) and leave it all in the rode bag together? And after you haul the anchor up to the deck do you then go back below and get the rode bag and haul it up separately? Then do you attach the rode to the chain you left on the anchor, and wire tie that shackle then? Or do you attach the chain (that you left attached to the rode) to the anchor you just hauled up at that point, and wire tie it then? Or do you disconnect the anchor, the chain, and the rode from each other each trip and have to put together both connections each time you go sailing, wire tying them on each trip?

And I'm asking WHEN...do you go through this process? Before launching the boat while it is still on the trailer? After launching but before pulling away from the dock? After you pull away and go find a quiet spot somewhere? Not until later in the day when you're looking for your first anchorage?

I'm trying to figure out launch procedures, hauling and trailering, etc. in a way that makes sense, saves prep-for-launch time, takes safety into consideration, etc. Just wanting to know how the more seasoned and polished crowd handles this step! :)

bobflshmn
First Officer

Post by bobflshmn » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:40 am

vizwhiz wrote: I'm trying to figure out launch procedures, hauling and trailering, etc. in a way that makes sense, saves prep-for-launch time, takes safety into consideration, etc. Just wanting to know how the more seasoned and polished crowd handles this step! :)
I will share a recent event and tell you I will now be setting up my anchor before I roll off the trailer, and not remove it until I am back on.
On a recent weekend trip everything went perfect for two days of sailing and docking. Pulling out of my slip to put the boat back on the trailer for the drive home the engine started to run rough. No big deal I thought, only needed to get through the marina of million dollar yachts a 1000 yards or so. Come around the corner, can see the ramp, twist the throttle and the engine dies. I was alone, as I had sent my mates to get the truck and trailer! Thought I had enough speed to drift to the docks but the wind had other ideas. Came with in 20 ft of the dock at the ramp when things really started to go wrong. Paddling I was only able to stall the boat for a moment. Friends arrive but by now I am 200 ft from the dock, and quickly drifting towards boats which I cannot afford to scratch! One friend jumps in to swim out to help. I grab the forward line and dive in to the water to attempt with some success to pull the boat away from the big ones. At this point I was less than 20 ft from a 100 footer!
Had my anchor been setup I could have dropped it 20 ft from the ramp and been pulled up by my friends without the excitement!
Hope this helps.
PS: There is a nice video of me on my facebook, because there is always one of your friends ready to help you get a laugh afterwards! Also the next week I tried to troubleshoot the motor and it ran perfect! Guess it wasn't ready to come home.

ris
First Officer

Post by ris » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:46 pm

We have an :macx: 1 Manson Supreme 15 lb anchor with 25 feet of chain 250 ft of 7/16 rope on anchor roller. One Fortress 7 lb anchor with 15 ft chain 250 feet 3/8 rope with anchor shaft in pvc tube attached to pulpit. Both anchors are tied down when moving on trailer or rough water. We do not remove them from the boat. Always put your anchor rode out as you drift or slowly motor backwards. Put out 7 to 1 scope tie off then while in reverse run rpm to 2000 to 2300 and watch for movement. We set our anchor this way and even in 35 mph winds have never awoke to a dragging anchor. On this trip we have seen numerous boats drag their anchor. Last one we saw was a week ago.

vizwhiz
Admiral

Post by vizwhiz » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:25 am

Great story Bob! Glad it worked out! I'll look for the video! :D
ris wrote:Both anchors are tied down when moving on trailer or rough water. We do not remove them from the boat.
So ris (my almost-neighbor down here in central FL!), do you leave your rode bags on the deck, attached and (I presume) the shackles still wire tied all the time? Or do you remove the rode and bring it below for the trailer trip?

ris
First Officer

Post by ris » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:02 pm

I have a :macx: so the anchor rode goes in the anchor locker and the anchors stay in place, one on the roller and one in the pvc tube attached to the pulpit upright. The anchors have rope holding them in place. We cut a hole in the front lip of the anchor locker lid to feed the rode from both anchors. Normally I open the anchor locker lid to deploy and retrieve the anchor.

THE CUSCUS
First Officer
Sailboat: Venture 25

Post by THE CUSCUS » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:09 pm

My anchor is always locked and loaded for immediate deployment........you never know when a situation will arise and you need to stay fast where you are.

budgates
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26D

Post by budgates » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:59 am

While towing my Mack my dinghy rides in the back of my truck. My anchors clear the dinghy as long as I'm going straight but if I have make any sharp turns they may hit so I keep my anchors in the truck and put them on the bow roller before backing into the water.

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:51 am

You should always have a good quality anchor of suitable type for the bottoms anticipated, rigged with a boat length or more of chain, and a healthy length of nylon rode (100 ft minimum, 200 ft far better), and ready to go, even if that means storage below decks. Having to assemble an anchor system when you're drifting into trouble will drive that point home toot-sweet.

vizwhiz
Admiral

Post by vizwhiz » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:58 am

Right! Excellent advice, and heeded... 8)
Now in your preparation before heading out, WHEN do you attach all the parts together and fool with the seizing wire? Or do you never take them apart?

Anchor - shackle w siezing - chain
Chain - shackle w siezing - nylon rode

THE CUSCUS
First Officer
Sailboat: Venture 25

Post by THE CUSCUS » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:25 pm

My chain and nylon rode are always stored in the bow locker (space between inside liner and hull) even when on the trailer. Immediately after launching, the anchor is attached to the chain with a shackle and seized (with a plastic tie wrap). I do this after launching so the anchor doesn't get caught on the trailer winch post.