Forum Home
IntroductionBrowse
Our MacGregorExploringArticlesAbout this Website
ManualsDealer InfoSailing LinksTell a FriendSupport this Website
Forum Home
Boomkicker Banner

The sailing season is expanding in the northern US & Canada.

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.

Moderators: Paul S, tangentair, beene, Heath_Mod, Hamin' X, kmclemore, Catigale

The sailing season is expanding in the northern US & Canada.

Postby dlandersson » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:44 am

The sailing season is expanding in the northern US & Canada. :)

The nation is immersed in its warmest period in recorded history

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/cap ... bow&wpmm=1
dlandersson
Admiral

Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: The sailing season is expanding in the northern US & Can

Postby K9Kampers » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:32 pm

Your link to the article quickly converts to a subscribe page for the washington post, with no way to get back to the article.

However, this link looks like the same article: CLICKY
K9Kampers
Admiral

Postby sailboatmike » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:11 pm

Its a bit like the headlines over here in OZ!!

The headline news was Australia had its hottest summer ever but when you drill down into the figures the Southern part of Australia actually had one of the coolest summers in over 50 years, however that doesnt make headlines. We had our heaters on in November, I cant remember having the heaters on at that time of year before.

In fact weather in the Northern part of Australia has been its most stable in my memory, only one cyclone, normally there would be 3 or 4 around from the Western Australian Coast through to Queensland.

Im not a conspiracy theorist but there is a lot of people making lots of money out of "global warming" and they are not about to shout out about things that may detract from their own well being, just they buying and selling of Carbon Credits is worth billions of dollars, not forgetting all the environment scientists that keep themselves in a job, you recon they are going to say or do anything that would see them discredited,

Im all for cleaning up our environment, getting rid of plastics in the water, having cleaner air and water for the sakes of our kids and grand children but lets not hide behind so called science, call a spade a spade and say "Lets clean up our planet for our kids futures" Im sure that movement would get way more support
sailboatmike
Admiral

Postby Highlander » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:58 pm

In Victoria BC now & they just had their worsted winter in 10yrs of coarse apparently it,s my fault as I supposedly brought Ontario,s winter weather with me ! so I,m told ! :? :)

J 8)
Highlander
Admiral

Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Postby Phil M » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:15 pm

sailboatmike wrote:...
Im not a conspiracy theorist but there is a lot of people making lots of money out of "global warming" and they are not about to shout out about things that may detract from their own well being, just they buying and selling of Carbon Credits is worth billions of dollars, not forgetting all the environment scientists that keep themselves in a job, you recon they are going to say or do anything that would see them discredited,

Okay, I'll bite. :x

It is a scientific fact that our climate is warming. It's not a theory or hypothesis but an actual fact based on scientific observations. There are numerous legitimate sources out there.
The theory part is that 95% of the world's scientists agree that the 400 billion tons of CO2 that we emit every year into our atmosphere is the main cause of global warming. You are correct in that it is not a hundred percent of scientists.

The resulting effect of all this on Sailors is that our weather is much less predictable as the climate models are changing. Changes in the jet stream affect everything.
Another effect on sailors is the likelyhood of occasional storms being more severe than usual. More heat = more energy.

And, Russia is deploying more military in the far north in the expectations of future ice-free polar navigation.
Phil M
Captain

Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Postby dlandersson » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:30 pm

Ok, I'll bite back :wink:

I'm one of those darn scientists. There's some confusion over exactly what global warming is.

I think just about everyone agrees that the earth goes thru warming and cooling. :)

The disagreement (actually there are tons of disagreements about just about everything) tends to focus on: is the current situation made-made or not? A lot depends on your frame of reference. 10 years? 100 years? 10,000 years? It was warmer in North America during the Little Climatic Optimum 950 - 1250 AD than it is now. It's a bit hard to blame that on the coal industry and SUV's. :wink:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medieval_Warm_Period
Last edited by dlandersson on Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
dlandersson
Admiral

Postby sailboatmike » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:30 am

My issue is that global warming and the amounts is being treated by some as if the cause is 100% proven and they feel free to shout down and demean anyone who dares question their version of the facts they are also extremely good at over looking evidence that may bring their version of the facts into any sort of question.

Im happy clean up the planet, gee I would love to help, get out and pick up rubbish, use renewable energy, whatever, i want the planet to be nice and clean for my kids and their kids into the future so they can enjoy the great outdoors
sailboatmike
Admiral

Postby dlandersson » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:35 am

And that's a good point. At work I keep my mouth shut about causes that are near and dear to some of other folks. The person in charge of our green initiative is a nice person, but their "rice bowel" is utterly dependent on things like "global warming", so I keep my mouth shut and talk about sailing - a "green" activity. :)

And there are a LOT of people like me. Like others, I have noticed that many of the global warming fans have a financial interest in the topic (Al Gore come to mind) or really haven't thought thru their viewed position. Yes there is evidence of global warming in some places. Yes there is evidence of global cooling in others. Yes, there's LOT's of opinions on the matter. Back in the 70's everybody "knew" we were in for "global cooling". Viewed long term, the earth warms and it cools. The solar system warms and cools. Mars is currently experiencing "global warming" as are the other planets. Is it the result of man-made events? Or is it the result of sun-spot activity (which can be correlated with global warming over 10's of thousands of years)?. :wink:

sailboatmike wrote:My issue is that global warming and the amounts is being treated by some as if the cause is 100% proven and they feel free to shout down and demean anyone who dares question their version of the facts they are also extremely good at over looking evidence that may bring their version of the facts into any sort of question.

Im happy clean up the planet, gee I would love to help, get out and pick up rubbish, use renewable energy, whatever, i want the planet to be nice and clean for my kids and their kids into the future so they can enjoy the great outdoors
dlandersson
Admiral

Postby Sumner » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:26 am

Phil M wrote:....It is a scientific fact that our climate is warming. It's not a theory or hypothesis but an actual fact based on scientific observations. There are numerous legitimate sources out there.
The theory part is that 95% of the world's scientists agree that the 400 billion tons of CO2 that we emit every year into our atmosphere is the main cause of global warming. You are correct in that it is not a hundred percent of scientists.

The resulting effect of all this on Sailors is that our weather is much less predictable as the climate models are changing. Changes in the jet stream affect everything.
Another effect on sailors is the likelyhood of occasional storms being more severe than usual. More heat = more energy.....

Agree 100%.

You are never going to get all scientist in a field to agree on everything, but in this case there are an overwhelming majority that agree that the speed at which warming is occurring is being influenced by us. They would have their jobs regardless of if global warming was occurring or not. There are far more people that stand to make a profit by ignoring the fact.

I fail to understand how we trust the scientific community in other matters that effect all aspects of our life, travel and health but don't want to when it comes to weather science???

Sumner

============================
1300 miles to the Bahamas and back -- 2015

The MacGregor 26-S

The Endeavour 37

Trips to Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links
Last edited by Sumner on Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sumner
Admiral

Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Postby dlandersson » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:27 am

Sorry, 95% of the relevent experts do not agree. And as Al Gore noted - "there are some problems with the data model". But if it you makes you feel better, then keep claiming "95%". :P

Feel free to do whatever you wish re: stopping global warming. Just don't go reaching into my pocket. :wink:

Phil M wrote:....It is a scientific fact that our climate is warming. It's not a theory or hypothesis but an actual fact based on scientific observations. There are numerous legitimate sources out there.
dlandersson
Admiral

Postby sailboatmike » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:37 pm

Sumner, many of the scientists that dont agree never get any air time so you dont get to hear their opinions, last time i heard a scientist that didnt agree on the radio the interviewer did his best to belittle and make light of his opinion, not sure why they bothered to interview him, seems the interviewer thought he knew more about it than someone from the scientific community.
sailboatmike
Admiral

Postby Sumner » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:25 pm

sailboatmike wrote:Sumner, many of the scientists that dont agree never get any air time so you dont get to hear their opinions, last time i heard a scientist that didnt agree on the radio the interviewer did his best to belittle and make light of his opinion, not sure why they bothered to interview him, seems the interviewer thought he knew more about it than someone from the scientific community.

Not sure how it goes over there, but here that goes both ways. There are plenty of talk shows here that belittle the idea of man effecting global warming. I find talk shows in general not to be a very good place to find accurate, non-biased information myself. I like to do more in the way of reading from different sources here and abroad.

I'd just suggest googling "percent of scientist believing in global warming" or something to that effect and read some and then develop a view of the percentages if one is interested in that.

We tend not to like things that might hit us in the pocket book and I'm no exception most of the time but money isn't everything to me all the time.

Sumner

============================
1300 miles to the Bahamas and back -- 2015

The MacGregor 26-S

The Endeavour 37

Trips to Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links
Sumner
Admiral

Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Postby dlandersson » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:55 am

Next thing is people thinking mermaids aren't real: :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCNFLCNLs5I
dlandersson
Admiral

Postby sailboatmike » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:39 am

Pack of greenies around here Sumner, our old yacht club has had huge issues with them, they wont dredge the channel now in case they upset the mangroves that have only started growing there 10 years ago and are now taking over everything, the beautiful sandy beach is now mud and the boat ramp is only usable a couple of hours a tide as the silt has closed up the last 30 meters of the channel. The place has now become a mosquito infested cesspit Businesses that once thrived now struggle to make a dollar. Now thats progress for you

We have moved clubs now as the boating opportunities became so limited at the old club, the new clubs waters are under the Ports and Harbours control (the old clubs waters are controlled by a different government department) and are well maintained and the radical greenies cant get a foot in the door. There is a good balance between keeping the place natural and the needs of the boating public
sailboatmike
Admiral

Postby dlandersson » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:43 am

Nice article re: claims of "settled science"

How 'Settled Science' Helped Create A Massive Public Health Crisis

Anyone who thinks it's enough to rest an argument on "settled science" or a "scientific consensus" ought to read about John Yudkin. :|

http://www.investors.com/politics/comme ... =mattkibbe

sailboatmike wrote:Sumner, many of the scientists that dont agree never get any air time so you dont get to hear their opinions, last time i heard a scientist that didnt agree on the radio the interviewer did his best to belittle and make light of his opinion, not sure why they bothered to interview him, seems the interviewer thought he knew more about it than someone from the scientific community.
dlandersson
Admiral

Return to Performance & Tuning