The sailing season is expanding in the northern US & Canada.

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.
Catigale
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Re: The sailing season is expanding in the northern US & Can

Post by Catigale »

Science is never settled, that's the point.

That Investors Business Daily article, though, fails on at least three fallacies of logic in the first e-page.

There is no ' global cooling'. It's getting hotter.

The reasons are complex but we have a hand it in, with 99.5% certainty.

Giving those who want to play on the 0.5% uncertainty equal airtime is unbalanced.

People don't go into science for money.
sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike »

Catigale wrote:People don't go into science for money.
No but companies do. and scientists tow the line of what their employer wants. huge money has been made by companies from "global warming".

Media headlines tend to focus on the sensational, a typical example is here in Australia, while BOM reported that the north of Australia had its warmest winter ever in the south we had just about the coldest winter ever, that is on the heels of one of the coldest summers ever down in the south.

However the media reported that Australia had its warmest winter ever, the bit about the southern half having one of the coldest on record was totally none reported.

Lets get serious, these people just dont know how to market things. if you say global warming you are going to have arguments coming in thick and fast, BUT if they market it as "Lets clean up the climate for the good of our kids and grand kids" then there is no argument, everyone wants a better future for their kids.

Im not a climate change denier, but Im sceptical that people are not telling the whole truth, they leave out the bits that dont meet their needs and can be used to refute their argument, that isnt the job of scientists but as they have become more political its what they do.

A typical example was a few years ago scientists reported that the ice on the western side of antarctica was melting at a record pace, what they didnt tell you (but was there in the report if you read it) was that the ice on the eastern side was at record levels and in fact the ice mass of antarctica was at record high levels , is it any wonder people are sceptical
Québec 1
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Québec 1 »

If I understand correctly:The oceans in the world are getting warmer, consequently the air is getting warmer,subsequently the warmer air holds more humidity yet California is burning and we have had a really cool summer this year in Québec. I think we should try to control and reduce our pollution of the earth and protect and mimic the geographical features of the earth that allow the earth to maintain an equilibrium which assures the continuity of humanity. Furthermore in 1 billion give or take a billion years the sun will no longer permit life on earth. My 2cents worth.
Y.B.Normal
First Officer

Post by Y.B.Normal »

We've been in a warming stage since the last Ice Age. In the U.S., politicians have changed the description from "Global Warming" to "Climate Change". Yes, the climate IS changing, and HAS been changing constantly over the ions. Why do you think Alaska has oil...it was once a tropical climate. While I DO BELIEVE we have to reduce or eliminate man-made pollution, I also believe that one or two (or three) large volcanic eruptions can increase the air pollution levels more than our man-made pollution can.
Just my 2 cents worth (that and another $2.00 can buy you a cheap cup of coffee.) :D
Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale »

It's a bit sobering that an asteroid can come along and, in the words of ebaums world, FU....

Lets all end this civil discussion by going sailing...
sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike »

Gee that asteroid was close 7 million kilometers from earth or 4.3million miles from earth, in prospective thats 9 times further away than the moon so hardly skimming the earths atmosphere
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

Is that "fake news" - because sadly, quite a few people and organizations are chansing $$$'s :wink:
Catigale wrote:People don't go into science for money.
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

It makes no difference either way - it does not matter who is right because there is nothing you could do about it anyway even if it were true. It's a pointless discussion.

The scientist's at JPL that wrote the movie "INTERSTELLAR" ran the numbers and found that even if the warming is caused by humans the only way to stop it is to eliminate the humans. There is a great line in the movie delivered by John Lithgow where they are sitting on the porch contemplating the impending dust storms on the horizon:

Grandpa Don says: "When I was a kid, it seemed like they made something new every day. Some, gadget or idea, like every day was Christmas. But six billion people, just imagine that. And every last one of them trying to have it all."

The 'humans' are not going to give up their sail boats, cell phones, their TV's, their ATV's, their steak dinners, or carpet or pillows or whatever. 99% of the 'humans' on planet earth don't even have a high school education! And you think AL GORE can make them dump their iPad and TV's?? Not without a one world dictator who uses death to MAKE everyone do it he's not! (MANY think all humans need to be enslaved under a dictatorship for thier own good, but as long as people like me are still around It's never going to happen. The people will war and kill each other before we ever got to that point.

That means the only way to eliminate man made global warming is to eliminate man. Anyone who tells you otherwise is just trying to steal your money - today's Global Warming Initiative organizations that lobby governments for billions of dollars to "stop global warming" are no different than the looters who rob the Walmart during a flood or hurricane. They are just criminals trying to take advantage of a crisis. the TRUE ENVIRONMENTALIST does not want your money. The true environmentalist knows that money is not the answer - they know removing man from the eco system is the ONLY answer. They believe man never really belonged here (and they just might be right, it seems that history says that humans have their numbers reduced by 3/4's almost every 1000 years - ever wonder why?)

I have lived in the same place for 60 years and there is no difference in my weather, but that's just me.

Still, I have respect for the TRUE environmentalist - the one who's not looking for money or power or an excuse to enslave the human race as a guise to "control wastefulness". Slavery is slavery, and Al Gore still lives on a tobacco plantation so he gets zero time in my world. The whole story of human history is about the struggle between slavery and free will. Slavery is the opposite of free will - I will not cow to the slave masters - I will die first.

But the real guys - the scientist that know the truth and are willing to TELL the truth like the guys who wrote that movie "Interstellar" - now those guys I will listen to: they say if this is true we can't stop it, and that it does not really matter because we should not be on the surface of earth anyways - they see earth as a temporary home for us. They feel we need to restore earth to it's original balance. Earth to them is a cradle for life only, not a home for everyone.

There are two ways to restore earth - kill all the humans (or most of them) or move the humans somewhere else. Those are your only real options if you truly want to stop man made "Global Warming". Anyone who tells you otherwise is lying or ignorant or has not thought it through to the very end.

It's also interesting that the ancient documents like the Bible and other writings also all point to a day when man leaves the earth and the earth is "restored". This is not the first time humans have faced their own extinction. It might actually be a normal part of the natural cycle, but be wary of those trying to use a natural cycle or a impending crisis to get your money or enslave you - such people should not be trusted.
Last edited by BOAT on Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
K9Kampers
Admiral

Post by K9Kampers »

BOAT wrote:It makes no difference either way...
(Inset thumbs up smiley here!)
sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike »

Just for the record, yesterday we had our coldest spring day since the year 2000, Tasmania had its coldest spring day on record with snow down to 300 meters (1000 feet), however the climate change rah rah mob stepped in and said because of the "dry" conditions down here in the south east we are expecting a worse than normal fire season. If they cared to look out the window the ground is sodden from constant rain and there has been little vegetation growth due to the cold temperatures and lack of sunlight. By now my grass is normally growing so fast its like jungle, but I have only had to cut it once in the last couple of months.

These mobs do themselves no favors when they make stupid press releases like this, do they think we cant look out the window, it just ruins their credibility.

Of course there will be those that say "One cold snap doesnt prove anything", but 4 years ago they were all jumping up and down when we had 5 days in a row well above 40 degrees celsius, that one event pushed the summer average temperature for that year up a whole degree and they pointed at that as proof of global warming, if fact as we all know with statistics to get a true mean we need to take out the "outriders" to get a true mean, so take out the outriders and it was in line with what we have been seeing of late and that is cooler than historic average temperatures in our part of the world
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

Just a reality check - several warmer periods predate the arrival of "man". Oops.
BOAT wrote:It makes no difference either way - it does not matter who is right because there is nothing you could do about it anyway even if it were true. It's a pointless discussion.

... it does not really matter because we should not be on the surface of earth anyways ...
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

Read Gores book - he said there is only one way to stop climate change: (it involves some form of killing all REPUBLICANS); still, his premise is that not only REPUBLICANS use gasoline in a wasteful manner so he adds that even after killing off all the REPUBLICANS humans must go further: Here, this is from his book:
Eliminate all gas cars, planes, and internal combustion engines from planet earth in less than 10 years. (outboard motors too guys!) (I added the outboards part) 8)

It's pretty simple, and actually easy to do (I mean, killing all us REPUBLICANS is not that hard, we pay taxes so we are easy to find by the IRS) - I sort of understand why Gore is so confused about the objections to his book. What he is asking for is not really that hard. Electric cars and outboards are great! And now airplanes can be changed over to electric personal drones - this is all actually pretty easy - the technology is not the problem. The problem is PEOPLE.

So, now your getting into MY area of expertise.
I have a science degree from a pretty good university in HUMAN BEHAVIOR - graduated Magna Cum Laude in the schools of psychology, sociology, anthropology, law and diagnostic statistics. I have written test instruments for mental health assessment placement. I entered the psychology field in college as a sick, twisted and autistic loner trying to fix myself, {ALL psychology students enter the field trying to heal themselves}, and I am STILL a sick, twisted loner.

The problem is not the internal combustion engine - it's human behavior. What Gore thinks we should do is correct, but his whole premise dies on the side of human behavior, not climate science. (That's why these guys can't get elected anymore - they know nothing about Human Behavior). To get humans to vote for you ya gotta understand humans. So don't make fun of our environmentalist friends. There is more than ample evidence for their assumptions in both history and geology to show 'change' in the climate. Dominant species trade places in the fossil record; yet, even Barney the purple dinosaur was wiped off the planet and he did not even own a car! Still:

I give the environmentalists the benefit of the doubt and I allow their premise - :evil: REPUBLICANS are causing climate change. :evil: (All bad comes from evil REPUBLICANS and his dirty ways) It's true, but after they eliminate all REPUBLICANS what do they do with the rest of the dirty humans? All the plants and animals seem to tow the line and work within the system. Not man - he seems to have his own will. Eventually, Gore will need to kill EVERYBODY.

Would the plants and animals be better off if man never occurred? This is a question as old as Noah and the ark. Read Genesis account of the "Tower of Babel" sometime - it's a record of what humans do when they all get together and speak the same language and work together to build the greatest empire and aspire to the highest forms of human development - so God had to disperse them and mix up their languages because humans progressed too fast! He needed to slow things down for their own good! (Sounds familiar).

Man is either a natural occurrence on planet earth or he is not. If man is a natural occurrence, then he is an animal that belongs on planet as much as any other organism be it a bird, virus, dinosaur, or even REPUBLICAN. Live with it.
OR, is it possible that MAN is NOT a natural occurrence? Is he a mutation or accident, or maybe even something else?

:o oooohhh, ohh oh :o (spooky sounds) :? :| scary movie stuff!
K9Kampers
Admiral

Post by K9Kampers »

TRIFECTA!...truth & politics & religion!!

Catigale
Site Admin

Post by Catigale »

Let's kill this thread since its goes off the Board rails.

Plenty of other places to talk about this stuff online
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

K9Kampers wrote:TRIFECTA!...truth & politics & religion!!

:D Thank You! . .thank you ! ! :D I'm here all week! 8) Try the veal! :P Don't forget to tip your waiters and waitresses! ! :P Okay, so it's time for me to go now! Thanks folks!

sailboat=happy idea,happy=evil? think about it
:macm: ` :arrow: :) `` :idea: ```` :evil: :?: ````` :wink: