Replacement Motor

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

KeithF
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Replacement Motor

Post by KeithF » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:41 pm

All,

First time posting here,

I currently have a 2000 Rebuilt Mercury 60hp Bigfoot motor on my Mac 26x. I have been fighting for some time with the oil system, so I have been doing some research on replacement motors. Currently my motors weight is 256lbs, yet if you get into a 90hp motor you hit the 356lbs arena. Blue Water Yachts recommends going with the 90 hp, so you are able to push more weight on the boat in some cases. I have been looking at a mercury as a replacement but not locked into this. The reason I have looked at the mercury is because of the Command Thrust (motor acts like a electric motor at low speeds so no hard thrust) also because you can get the bigfoot (Big Tiller) still on this motor which works great if you have not flooded your ballast in shallow water. The thing I found is that mercury sells a 115hp motor that is the same size and weight at the 75hp and 90hp motors.

I am looking for any recommendation?

Because of where I live I must keep my mast down until I clear a couple bridge before bring up the mast, which requires me to use a motor at low to med speed and with 4 adults and one fur baby (90 lb GSD) the current motor struggles to get me into the open water.

Thank you

Keith

Starscream
Captain

Re: Replacement Motor

Post by Starscream » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:45 pm

The E-tec 90 the lightest motor that I know of: https://www.evinrude.com/en-US/e-tec.html

It's a two-stroke, so kinda smelly if the wind is blowing the wrong way, at its NOT a quiet motor. Pushes my heavy boat at 18 knots fully ballasted, and is very, very small and thin on the transom, which is very convenient for swimming. It has auto-winterization. However, if I had to do it over again, I would go with the Suzi DF90 because it's QUIET. When Chinook paid us a visit a few years ago I couldn't even hear their Suzi running when they pulled in and I was impressed.

Actually, after about 5 years with the e-tec I am starting to get the itch to trade it in for the DF90. Our boys are getting older and longer range cruising is becoming more feasible as their patience and interest grows, and long range cruising with the E-tec isn't in the cards. Too loud and no fun smelling the two-stroke exhaust in a tailwind.

But other than the noise, it's been a good performer. (First $5k takes it for next season...)

Neo
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Neo » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:03 pm

KeithF wrote:Blue Water Yachts recommends going with the 90 hp, so you are able to push more weight on the boat in some cases.
You sure BWY said that?.... The transom is not rated to 90HP so I'm surprised they'd say that.
I have a Merc 50BF on my :macm: and if I had to replace it I would go for a 40Hp or 30HP! .... I'm trying to run a sailboat not a speedboat :D

Seapup
Captain

Post by Seapup » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:05 am

Because of where I live I must keep my mast down until I clear a couple bridge before bring up the mast, which requires me to use a motor at low to med speed and with 4 adults and one fur baby (90 lb GSD) the current motor struggles to get me into the open water.
I had the older 2 liter suzuki DF90 4 stroke on my :macx: for 4 or 5 years. It replaced a honda 50. It was over 400lbs, same exact motor as the 115 (and 140) with a different computer. I was very concerned about the weight before mounting. It was never any type of issue though and never gave it a second thought once I had it. Most people thought it looked the right size for the hull. I did constantly wish I went for the DF115 or DF140 instead. The 90 was good, speeds were great completely stripped empty, but once I loaded the boat up I always wanted a bit more. My suggestion is if you are between 90 and 115 that are the same motor, go the 115, don't worry about the weight.

I eventually replaced the DF90 with a 100lb DF20 since I hardly ever ran the 90 over hull speed after the first year. The 20 made the helm lighter, but overall the boat sailed very similarly.

Herschel
Captain

Post by Herschel » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:59 pm

For my 26X, I replaced my 1998 Merc 50 h.p. Big Foot (4-stroke carbureted) with a Yamaha 50 h.p. High Thrust (4-stroke, fuel injection). I am not in need of a lot of speed, but I do get 14.5 knots without ballast and light crew, and more like 12 with ballast and more crew. But I typically cruise at about 8-10 when transiting on the St. Johns River or in the lakes here in Central Florida. I stayed with the 50 because that was the engine recommended by the manufacturer, and I wasn't looking for a speedy motor boat. The Yamaha has given me excellent, reliable service and is very quiet. I love it. :)

mallardjusted
Engineer
Location: Puget Sound, 2001 MACX4169K001 "Aqua Dawg", 70hp Yamaha

Post by mallardjusted » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:39 pm

The Yamaha 4-stroke 70HP only weighs 257 lbs. It swings a bigger prop than the 40/50 outboards. Sizewise it is no bigger. I've had mine since 2014 and LOVE it.

KeithF

Post by KeithF » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:25 pm

Thank you all for all this feed back.

I am also in FL, getting into the bay is ok right now but with 4 adults and the dog the max speed without ballast is 20mph which is great. This is where I start having the issue with my oil injector (Still working on resolving).

It is so confusing when looking at the different motors out there and what they can and cant do for you. I use the sails primary, but there are days which I have to drop the motor to get out of the way of the Pontoon Tourist not paying attention and almost hitting us. It has been handy many of time.

I also wanted to raise this question here because a neighbor down the street has a Mac 26M and his 90 evinrude doesn't allow him to steer at all unless he floods the ballast.

Also here is the sheet from BWY
http://bwyachts.com/Engine%20Choices.htm

They talk about the 70HP which is the same weight as the 90 and 115 merc.

Now you can understand where I get confused since we are adding on an additional 100lbs to the transom.

Thank you for additional input.

Keith

1st Sail
Captain

Post by 1st Sail » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:14 pm

The OB topic has been discussed very thoroughly on this board for years. For sure all the OB mfg are well represented by all those commenting, Merc, Honda, Suz, Yamie, Etec. From the many commentsI have learned that all the mfg's. make excellent engines. There have been a few isolated technical issues reported but overall an overwhelming positive for all mfgs. With service incidents relatively rare I would most likely weight my decision based on access and quality of service by the nearest dealer.
I can only speak for Etec in that it is a near zero service OB. No oil changes or filter, auto fog for winter, light weight, high output for weight, swings a 14in prop. (Etec 50, 14 x 11 prop, 16knts/18.5mph @ WOT, 2 adults, lightly loaded). Suz are certainly the quietest overall. ETec 40-50-60 are the same cu in displacement. 60HO-70-90 are also the same cu in disp. both are just different fuel delivery, intake ports etc. I believe most mfg group off the same block / cu. in. displacement.
https://www.evinrude.com/en-US/e-tec.html

I don't think you can go wrong with any mfg. Above 60hp most reinforce the transom with either aluminum channel or marine ply glassed in. IIRC BWY was selling Mac up to 70hp. I would contact them they are a trustworthy and knowledgeable source or all things MAC.

Neo
Captain

Post by Neo » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:47 pm

KeithF wrote:They talk about the 70HP which is the same weight as the 90 and 115 merc.
It's not just weight that needs to be considered but the force (in-line and offset) a more powerful engine will exert on the sern. If you're underway and that stress causes hairline cracks near the waterline... you've got trouble! :?

Gazmn
Admiral
Location: Bayside, NY '97X, E-tec 115 Pontoon, The "Ollie Gray" & '01 Chevy Tahoe W/ Tow Pkg

Post by Gazmn » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:40 pm

KeithF wrote:All,
I have been looking at a mercury as a replacement but not locked into this. The reason I have looked at the mercury is because of the Command Thrust (motor acts like a electric motor at low speeds so no hard thrust) also because you can get the bigfoot (Big Tiller) still on this motor which works great if you have not flooded your ballast in shallow water. The thing I found is that mercury sells a 115hp motor that is the same size and weight at the 75hp and 90hp motors.
Thank you
Keith
Hey Keith. Welcome to Da’ Mac Family 8)

This convo is well versed through the Mac archives & if nothing else makes for great offseason reading.

A couple of points I see in your words:
1. You’d like options & versatility [Merc Command thrust]
2. Higher horsepower, as high as 115 temptation [115 that weighs as little as a 90/75 chasis].
3. You have a long motor commute to get to sailing area & you travel heavy [4+1 & “the current motor struggles”].

My conclusion:
You want Power & versatility.

Firstly, consider your local motor mechanic, what & who is authorized for maintenance. & how far & how often you’re gonna be travelling for authorized maintenance. Then pick your horsepower - & you’re not interested in <90 hp...

My .02:
You don’t need more than a 90. I have a 115 - & It’s great! I’m in Evinrude land [my choice] the V3 90 Will do what you need. But E-tec is not the quietest bull in the stable. They are very powerful but they need to be run wot to keep the innards clean, occassionally. The V3 has an internal oil tank. - It’s much more convenient than my external oil fill tank on my V4. I don’t remember if they can be pull started. But you may be able to; Check YouTube. Winterization is done at my house, when I want in 5 mins :wink:

I had an E-tec 90 for many years. I won’t go back to one after having my 115; But from hindsight, a 90 is good enough. However, I don’t regret that I supersized 8)
I just burn a liitle more gas with having 4cyls; I Do find it smoother & quieter than my V3 ran; I can swing a bigger prop; & have Much more charging capability.

Compare specs of your favorite candidates. Consider service access. Compare year end deals with 2019 boat show offerings. Enjoy the journey. & keep us posted :)

mallardjusted
Engineer
Location: Puget Sound, 2001 MACX4169K001 "Aqua Dawg", 70hp Yamaha

Post by mallardjusted » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:50 pm

KeithF,

"a neighbor down the street has a Mac 26M and his 90 evinrude doesn't allow him to steer at all unless he floods the ballast." and "...t the 70HP which is the same weight as the 90 and 115 merc".

The 70/90 suzies have the same profile (maybe the 115 too?). That's where the yammie 70 is nice. It has the same profile as the yammie 50, more hp, and swings a bigger prop. There is NO interference to steering or the swinging cockpit seat. The suzie 70 and the e-tech 75/90 weigh about 90 lbs more and have larger profiles.

For me, I've found the 70 to be the perfect match.

vkmaynard
Captain
Location: Apex, NC - 2001 26X "Compromise" w/ 2010 Suzuki DF90A

Post by vkmaynard » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:03 pm

Neo wrote:
KeithF wrote:They talk about the 70HP which is the same weight as the 90 and 115 merc.
It's not just weight that needs to be considered but the force (in-line and offset) a more powerful engine will exert on the sern. If you're underway and that stress causes hairline cracks near the waterline... you've got trouble! :?
Go look at a transom in a local boat store the will hold a 140 HP motor. About same thickness as the Mac.

We've had our DF90A since 2010 with ZERO transom issues. We did reinforce with 3/8" plate on the outside and a transom bar on the inside top. Inside bottom added 3/8" x 3" x 3 plates. All overkill except the transom bar. Some have used nothing.

No steering issues at all speeds.

Billy G has a Suzuki 140 on his with ZERO issues since 2002ish

The DF90 made our 26X "Power Sailor" into a real "POWER SAILOR", not an anemic struggling power boat. Unloaded w/ mast down 31 MPH. Fully loaded w/ mast up 28 MPH. Fully loaded w/ mast up and ballast full 24 MPH (on a "real" plane).

Lots of internet engineers out there making assumptions without data. Of course we also don't have the stress analysis data from Rodger, just many years of real world experience.

Very interesting Blue Water is now recommending a 90. They used to frown on anything over a 70.

Victor

Neo
Captain

Post by Neo » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:58 pm

I don't doubt your analysis of this Victor ... You know your stuff.
vkmaynard wrote:Very interesting Blue Water is now recommending a 90. They used to frown on anything over a 70.
That's what I remember too.