Micron Extra anti-fouling?

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.
dlandersson
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Micron Extra anti-fouling?

Post by dlandersson »

"Micron Extra delivers excellent, long lasting antifouling protection against all types of fouling in all waters, by incorporating Biolux® Technology, to control slime and algae. Its controlled polishing helps to maximize fuel efficiency while minimizing drag and preventing paint build-up, allowing the boat to be hauled and relaunched without re-applying."

Not my opinion - that the ad copy. Anyone used it? 8)
AndyVS
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Re: Micron Extra anti-fouling?

Post by AndyVS »

I use Micron CSC and it's kept the bottom clean. Boat lives in a slip from May thru October in southern MI. Small lake we are on seems clean but I see boats with no anti-fouling will have 1/8" crud + zebra mussels on their bottoms in the fall. I went two years with the first application of two coats. Last winter, I lightly sanded and put on two more coats. I think I can go three years this time.

Andy
kurz
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by kurz »

I applied copper coat 4 years agao. My :macm: sits all year in the lake in Zürich.
All ok so far. And coppercoat shall stay 10 to 15 years, users talk about over 20 years. So that was reason I took it. Worked fine so far!
Ixneigh
Admiral

Post by Ixneigh »

I just applied LVX epoxy and copper powder on my boat. I bought the copper online. It wasnt "atomised" though. There is also a product called "Smooth sailing" that applies easily, and drys quickly.
Not sure how either compare to copper coat in price. I used three quarts and ten lbs of copper powder for a cost of about 120 dollars. Application was tedious until I got to know the materials.

Ix
kurz
Admiral

Post by kurz »

to ixneig
Well if it works the same as coppercoat you had a very good price.
PEN24
Deckhand

Post by PEN24 »

I've used Micron Extra for the past 4 years and have to say am impressed by it's performance. Our :macx: is in the water from March to November and gets a slight slime which is easy to remove but nothing more. I clean it at the end of each season with a jet wash and re-apply which is a truly horrible job but worth it for the results.
Ixneigh
Admiral

Post by Ixneigh »

One of the reasons I chose this coating was that, besides wondering if it was possible for years (before the internet made finding arcane things like powdered copper easy) is that my boat often sits on the bottom since I park in shallow water when I cruise in familiar areas. That rubs off the paint. The people at the yard were very interested. A few objected to the color but I dont care about that.
Ix
1st Sail
Captain

Post by 1st Sail »

I spoke with Todd at BWY last fall. He recommended SeaHawk Monterey. Said it was very durable, can be power washed off very easily and durable for trailering. The online reviews were excellent.
sunshinecoasting
First Officer
Location: Sunshine Coast Queensland Australia - "Entropy" Nissan 50 CDI Furling Jib

Post by sunshinecoasting »

These comments are all good information but what I really want to know is how are you guys getting access to the bottom of your boat? Mine is on a dual axle multi roller trailer, 48 rollers are all in the way to try and paint on trailer so what is the best way to do this? Mine needs doing this summer.
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

Sunshinecoasting said:
These comments are all good information but what I really want to know is how are you guys getting access to the bottom of your boat?
Ditto :!:

Ray
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Take the boat off of the trailer.

Gazman found a portable gantry hoist that could be set up over the boat to lift one end at a time to allow blocking up to remove the trailer. Easier than blocking from below - as you don't have to stage across the axle and cross-frames.

You can just use the trailer and tongue jack also. You need to build a cradle for the stern and work out a way to block up the bow. Basically, lower the bow with the tongue Jack which will raise the stern. Put the cradle under the stern and raise the tongue jack. This will raise the bow and lower the trailer away from the boat. Block up the bow and lower the tongue jack. Now the trailer is below the boat. You'll probably have to repeat the process at the bow to get around the axle and other cross-frames so that the trailer can be completely removed.

Take it to a boat yard and have them pull it and block it up for you.

If you are not sure of your design, carpentry, and rigging skills, go the boat yard route. You don't want to die over a bottom job...

Good Luck, and let us know how it goes...
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

Speaking for myself, the skills are definitely there, but it just looks like too much work.

Years ago, I had someone apply a barrier coat, and it’s lasted all of these years. In June, I am planning a trip to Annapolis from Philly, and figured that something more than a barrier coat is needed. I will have the people who did the barrier coat do this also. Too many other things to do in my retirement.

Thanks for the rapid reply.

Ray
1st Sail
Captain

Post by 1st Sail »

lower the dolly wheel as low as possible which will pivot the stern up. Build a support to place under the hull at the stern just inside the transom. Raise the dolly a high as possible which will raise the bow. Build a support v-block to place under the bow and then lower the dolly. Your boat will be supported above the trailer with room to apply bottom paint. Depending on the bow support you will have some room to roll the trailer for and aft.