PFD's - WTF?

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.
dlandersson
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

PFD's - WTF?

Post by dlandersson »

Ok, I was checking out the sales flyer that arrived in the mail from Cabelas.

I'm having trouble understanding why the Mustang is more - when it is 29 lbs buoyancy vs the 40 lbs buoyancy of the Cabelas one. :|

Cabelas Tournament ZX 4000 Auto PFD Auto Inflatable - 40 lbs buoyancy - $119

Mustang Survival MIT 100 Auto Inflatable - 29 lbs buoyancy - $129 (off $30)

https://www.cabelas.com/browse.cmd?cate ... zstype=REG
yukonbob
Admiral
Sailboat: Other

Re: PFD's - WTF?

Post by yukonbob »

Because it’s a (the) brand name for pfd’s. What’s even more screwy is that I can buy them cheaper in the US, when they’re made in Canada?!?! :|
1st Sail
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by 1st Sail »

Which brings me to the important question. Beyond accessories, harness etc. it there any safety difference between any of these based on price?
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

Good question, the ZX 4000 is 40 lbs. buoyancy, the Mustant is 28. :|
1st Sail wrote:Which brings me to the important question. Beyond accessories, harness etc. it there any safety difference between any of these based on price?
1st Sail
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by 1st Sail »

I noticed there are several mfg making pfd with higher buoyancy ratings. What about the quality of the trigger/inflation mechanism on cheaper pdf's? I've seen an article about the differences in dependability except reminders to replace them per specifications.
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

1st Sail wrote:I noticed there are several mfg making pfd with higher buoyancy ratings. What about the quality of the trigger/inflation mechanism on cheaper pdf's? I've seen an article about the differences in dependability except reminders to replace them per specifications.
AFAIK, there are only a couple of companies that make the inflator mechanisms.

But if it's auto-inflating, be sure to replace the bobbin at recommended intervals, or less, or you may find it inflated in a locker or while you're enjoying the view on a calm day in the harbor. And the rearming kits are expensive, unless you just buy the bobbin and not bobbin and CO2 canister 'rearming kit'.

I don't remember if the shelf life of the bobbin is longer than the rearming interval if the package is unopened (hermetically sealed), but it might be. Slow moisture absorption will, over time, weaken the bobbin until it can no longer hold the trigger back.