Spring is in the air - or radio

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

dlandersson
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Spring is in the air - or radio

Post by dlandersson » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:57 am

Chicago radio traffic reports began incloude "bridges up" for the first time yesterday this season. That's when the bridges over the Chicago riverways are up so boats can move from their launch ramps down to the marinas. Spring is comin'! :P

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Re: Spring is in the air - or radio

Post by Tomfoolery » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:35 am

dlandersson wrote: Spring is comin'! :P
Yeah, well . . .

I grew up downstate, in the NYC metro area (coastal CT, to be specific), and March was truly "In like a lion, out like a lamb." But around these parts, March is Winter. April is March. And May is April. And it's mostly gray skies the whole time. Then we get a few days of Spring in June, then somebody complains she wants the A/C. :x

So I can't bring myself to get too excited about Spring. It's better to just endure and not look forward to better weather, as it never comes when my brain thinks it should. :|

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go outside and run the snowblower. :P

Chinook
Admiral

Post by Chinook » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:35 am

We just set a record for cold and snow accumulation for February. Our winter is nothing like what you guys in the Midwest and Northeast have experienced, however with 2 feet of the stuff still in the yard, spring seems like a tantalizing myth at this point. Excuse me while I go out to snow blow my driveway.

1st Sail
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by 1st Sail » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:30 pm

I'm not here to refute Global Warming...but for the record and before 'global warming' ,I bought the boat circa '08. I was playing golf this week. Next week the high is below freezing for the week and more snow. Just sayin'.... and we were flooded of the Upper Miss river 5 times last year.

beene
Site Admin

Post by beene » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:17 am

My season starts in May, but even then, the water is so cold, without a full enclosure..... the wind off the water is too cold to enjoy a nice sail.

G

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:50 am

beene wrote:My season starts in May, but even then, the water is so cold, without a full enclosure..... the wind off the water is too cold to enjoy a nice sail.
When I had a keel boat in Rochester, they used to splash it in early April unless I complained and had the date moved. First week of April, one time. Too hard to get it prepped with VC17 that early, and not at all fun (even though it's work) like in warmer, dryer weather.

Spring is definitely NOT in the air in April, early or even late. :P

RussMT
Admiral

Post by RussMT » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:39 pm

Temps here have been sub zero for weeks (Fahrenheit). Pretty sure the lake is frozen 2 feet thick.

p.s. You suck :)

Jimmyt
Captain

Post by Jimmyt » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:40 pm

You guys need to come down and join us shoeless, toothless, grits eating, sweet-tea drinking folk. High today was 75F. Cold front coming through next week so high will drop to mid 50's. Lows on mid 30's. If I wasn't busy trying to wrap up my fire claim, I would have had several good sailing days in the past two weeks. Lots of rain in between though.

Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:03 pm

It,s a nice sunny day here today 6C but with the wind chill it feels like 2C waiting for it to get up to 12-14C again so as I can get back working on the boat :P

J 8)

Tony E
First Officer

Post by Tony E » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:03 am

Hello all, It's just nice to hear someone talk about spring! Up here in western Canada we are finally getting out of our minus 45 weather and warming up to minus 6 or so for the next week but we will take it. The Mac is still frozen out in a farmer's field outside the city so I won't be able to grab it and bring it home for a month or two but just the fact that People are talking about spring and I can start planning on bringing her home is a great feeling. :macx:

Nauti Nell
Engineer

Post by Nauti Nell » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:05 pm

Got home today and found fresh flowers from the garden in vases around the house...…..

Y.B.Normal
First Officer

Post by Y.B.Normal » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:42 pm

RussMT wrote:Temps here have been sub zero for weeks (Fahrenheit). Pretty sure the lake is frozen 2 feet thick.

p.s. You suck :)
Ice only 2' ? We've got 3'+ with 3' of snow (4-5' in Northern Wisconsin) here in NE Wisconsin.
I agree you've had it colder. We've had lows in the -0s for the last few months with record low highs and lows; rain and snow with ice today.
COME ON SPRING !!!!

Starscream
Captain

Post by Starscream » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:43 am

Nauti Nell wrote:Got home today and found fresh flowers from the garden in vases around the house...…..

I hate you. In the nicest way possible of course.

I just took out the compost a minute ago and snapped a photo of Bear Hunt in the back yard in her winter dress.

March 10 2019
Snow up to the rub-rail, and she's on the trailer which is itself on jackstands.

Nauti Nell
Engineer

Post by Nauti Nell » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:32 pm

Had just returned from a trip that included a stay in Minneapolis at -12F with 15mph winds. Mother in law lives in Eagle River, Wi. where bro in law just raked 4+ feet of snow off her roof 2 weeks ago. They have left an open invite to go ice fishing but I seem to be busy at those times. I have placed my toe in the pool of the great white north and have decided to never jump in...… Great respect to those of you who deal with snow about 7/8 months a year.