Rub rail restorer?

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.
dlandersson
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Rub rail restorer?

Post by dlandersson »

From a purely cosmetic standpoint, what products do a nice job of "restoring" a rub rail to a nice black? 8)
Banner_IV
Deckhand

Re: Rub rail restorer?

Post by Banner_IV »

I have used Turtle Wax Jet Black on my truck and works well, lasts a couple years. CAREFUL application is required as it is a dye I believe.

https://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Wax-T-128 ... 7755&psc=1
beechkingd
Chief Steward

Post by beechkingd »

Mine cleaned up with some acetone pretty well. It had a lot of buildup on it, not sure what it was, but it came off and looked black again after some scrubbing.
Bilgemaster
First Officer
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia--"Breakin' Wind" 2001 26X, Honda BF50A 50hp engine

Post by Bilgemaster »

If it's just blackening up the color a bit, that Turtle Wax Jet Black will do the trick. If you want to dress up any gouges, then that Performix Liquid Electrical Tape from Harbor Freight really does the job well. I got my X several years ago from what must have been a "docking-challenged" previous owner, but a little stroked on Performix goo formed with pieces of dollar store wax paper, and she still looks fairly presentable years later. It's also handy for patching up little splits in motorcycle fork gators or other rubber gear. I also used dabs of it here and there to waterproof my ultra-cheapo 50 watt companionway top flexible solar panel system setup described elsewhere in these Forums. Handy stuff.
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

Very interesting. Never heard of it before. :P
Bilgemaster wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:37 pm If it's just blackening up the color a bit, that Turtle Wax Jet Black will do the trick. If you want to dress up any gouges, then that Performix Liquid Electrical Tape from Harbor Freight really does the job well. I got my X several years ago from what must have been a "docking-challenged" previous owner, but a little stroked on Performix goo formed with pieces of dollar store wax paper, and she still looks fairly presentable years later. It's also handy for patching up little splits in motorcycle fork gators or other rubber gear. I also used dabs of it here and there to waterproof my ultra-cheapo 50 watt companionway top flexible solar panel system setup described elsewhere in these Forums. Handy stuff.
Bilgemaster
First Officer
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia--"Breakin' Wind" 2001 26X, Honda BF50A 50hp engine

Post by Bilgemaster »

Yup! Not that "black" is such a challenge huewise, but it's a spot on color match to my 26X's rub rail. At least, I cannot tell any difference.