26X forestay length

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.

Moderators: kmclemore, Hamin' X, NiceAft, beene, Catigale

vulcan98
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

26X forestay length

Post by vulcan98 » Sat May 18, 2019 6:17 pm

My mast has always lean toward stern at about 98 degrees from deck mast mount. If I tension the upper shrouds to set tension in forestay I have a too much bend in mast. Set lowers ones to take bend in middle out then I have hard time pinning forestay. Thinking forestay maybe too long (currently at 27' from top loop to bottom of CDI furler)or am I missing something?
Thanks Derwin

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Re: 26X forestay length

Post by Tomfoolery » Sun May 19, 2019 7:00 am

vulcan98 wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 6:17 pm
. . . or am I missing something?
Maybe. Sounds like you’re adjusting the shrouds correctly, which will tension the forestay to where it’s difficult to pin. Make sure the back stay is loose (I use a turnbuckle to tension afterward), and crank down on the mast raising system (MRS) until you can pin the forestay. It’ll stretch the other rigging, but it’s wire rope, and that’s what it does - stretch. Elastically.

Others have rigged some extra help to pull on the forestay, but I can’t comment on that, as I just use the MRS to bring the mast forward enough to pin the forestay.

vulcan98
Deckhand

Post by vulcan98 » Wed May 22, 2019 2:51 pm

Worked on it last few days and got it much better. My turn buckle would not tighten due to threaded ends bottoming out on frame support in middle. Cut threaded ends shorter, drilled holes back for cotter pins. Gained about 3/4" (or shortened head stay). Tightened lower stays then upper stays, back and forth. Never used back stay. I am at 94 degrees and head stay good and tight. Liked to have gotten 90 to 92 degrees but then I would need head stay shortened. Thanks tomfoolery for the reply.

Newell
First Officer

Post by Newell » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:32 pm

Vulcan98,

"I am at 94 degrees and head stay good and tight. Liked to have gotten 90 to 92 degrees but then I would need head stay shortened. Thanks tomfoolery for the reply."

Do you have any update on performance changes by moving from 96 to 94?

I just dropped my mast back from 90 to ?? but @7" at deck behind mast. Ran 16 recorded tacking tests, with jib and genny mostly in light winds.

I think the pointing has improved 7-15 degrees. My old friend the roundup showed up once, I wrote this off to sailing without ballast in a gust.

Newell :macx:

Dougiestyle
Just Enlisted

Post by Dougiestyle » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:30 pm

I have the same problem as vulcan98. I have shortened my turnbuckle where it bottoms out, but I have not had a chance to set up the mast yet (boat under cover for winter). It looks like I was able to shorten the forestay by about 3 inches. Not sure what degrees it will be, I'm hoping for 92 to 94.

Interesting fact I read on 1 of tom foolery's post. If your mast is 28ft tall with 4 degrees, its almost 2 feet from straight up, at 6 degrees or more (like mine?). It would be 2.93ft angled towards to stern. Which would make the boat more sensitive to rounding up. Which happened in wind 8 to 10 mph.

I was curious if you have tested yours with the new 94 degree setting?

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:43 pm

I’m not at work so I’m not on my CAD machine, but as I recall, the 4 degree figure is to the deck immediately in front of the mast. But with the boat waterline horizontal, that surface in front of the mast isn’t level. So if using the halyard to set the angle, make sure to tilt the boat bow or stern proud so that surface is level before setting a plumb offset.

I’m saying this from memory, so do check the manual first, which is where that angle is indicated.

And for the record, I removed much of the mast rake, as rounding up with nothing more than fun sailing conditions is not my idea of fun. I’ve sailed long enough to know when to ease the sheet, and I don’t want the boat doing it for me.

Newell
First Officer

Post by Newell » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:44 am

Dougiestyle wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:30 pm
I have the same problem as vulcan98. I have shortened my turnbuckle where it bottoms out, but I have not had a chance to set up the mast yet (boat under cover for winter). It looks like I was able to shorten the forestay by about 3 inches. Not sure what degrees it will be, I'm hoping for 92 to 94.

Interesting fact I read on 1 of tom foolery's post. If your mast is 28ft tall with 4 degrees, its almost 2 feet from straight up, at 6 degrees or more (like mine?). It would be 2.93ft angled towards to stern. Which would make the boat more sensitive to rounding up. Which happened in wind 8 to 10 mph.

I was curious if you have tested yours with the new 94 degree setting?
I raced Saturday with ballast, genny, and 11 other boats. Started first, finished last, no roundups, genny sheet broke loose once, still waiting to see if the analysis will indicate that tacking angles are improved from past record. :| :macx: