Singlehanding Dangerous???

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.
R Rae
First Officer

Post by R Rae »

From Beene:
Don't you mean...

"FLOAT PLAN"

Could be "flight plan" if your airfoils are working at 110%

:wink: :wink: :wink:
Catigale
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale »

I said when I am sailing.... do you run the motor when sailing
Edgartown Rules....... :wink:
beene
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by beene »

Only time I had to run the motor while sailing was when I was trying to keep up to Highlander sailing his tri-headsail :mac19: config in 35 kt winds :o

Just kidn' :wink:

G
Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

No.

Your not !!!!!! :D :D :D :D :) :P :wink:

John
beene
Site Admin

Post by beene »

You mean...... knot :!:

:P
RHC
Engineer

Post by RHC »

Can anyone post a diagram of a typical jackline system for the Mac 26X? (describing the matls used for lines and hardware). People who single hand on regular basis, what's your trigger for hooking up your harness? Is it anytime you're on deck? If waves are more than 3ft?

Thanks
johnnyonspot
First Officer

Post by johnnyonspot »

Jackline? Hooking up? What's all that about. I don't hook in or tie off when singlehanding, but then again I am rarely if ever out in 3 foot waves, and there are no oceans near me. I always wear a PFD however.
Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Re:

Post by Catigale »

maddmike wrote:Sitting on Zeno's Arrow Maho Bay St. John some years back, VHF on, scanner on:

Call comes over channel 14(as I recall?)

"Moorings base Tortola, this is Moorings boat 'Sunrider', Virgin Gorda, we require imediate assistance".

"Sunrider, This is Moorings base what is your situation?"

"We are in need of an anchor, unable to anchor for the night and it's starting to get dark".

"Sunrider, Moorings base, your have three anchors on board, what is the problem?"

"Yes Moorings base, we did have 3 anchors, but this is our fourth night out".

:o !!!!
Old thread warning. I was searching mikes posts for some info on oars and found this classic, which I have repeated often.
dlandersson
Admiral

Re: Re:

Post by dlandersson »

While one can argue that single-handing is more dangerous than not (no one else on board to help if there's an accident), I think a major plus of the Macgregor (at least when slipped) is the ease of single-handing. It's pretty easy (about 30 minutes) to prep and go sailing. 8)

My X is out far more often than most of the other boats. Some never seem to leave their slip. :|

to
Catigale wrote:
maddmike wrote:Sitting on Zeno's Arrow Maho Bay St. John some years back, VHF on, scanner on:

Call comes over channel 14(as I recall?)

"Moorings base Tortola, this is Moorings boat 'Sunrider', Virgin Gorda, we require imediate assistance".

"Sunrider, This is Moorings base what is your situation?"

"We are in need of an anchor, unable to anchor for the night and it's starting to get dark".

"Sunrider, Moorings base, your have three anchors on board, what is the problem?"

"Yes Moorings base, we did have 3 anchors, but this is our fourth night out".

:o !!!!
Old thread warning. I was searching mikes posts for some info on oars and found this classic, which I have repeated often.