Is this mod structurally safe

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Indulgence
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Is this mod structurally safe

Post by Indulgence » Sun May 10, 2009 3:20 pm

I'm going to follow in the footsteps of others and make the space below the starboard seat into a storage locker.
I don't want a side access hatch with a box behind it. I was thinking of a top opening hinged door with a large
vertical storage container all the way to the deck below.
Forgive the lousy picture, but the idea was to illustrate a cutout in the seat that
flows over the edge onto the vertical to provide a solid front lip for support.
There'd be a piano hinge across the back and flanges below with weather stripping.
I'm leaning toward reinforcing that front lip with angle alumininiminium or flat bar.

The question is: in your opinion, could this compromise the structure of the boat?

Thank you,
Laurie

Night Sailor
Admiral
Location: '98, MACX1780I798, '97 Merc 50hp Classic, Denton Co. TX "Duet"

Re: Is this mod structurally safe

Post by Night Sailor » Sun May 10, 2009 5:05 pm

This could be done safely. Two ways:
First is to glass in a strong flange of 1" wood or 1" sq. tubing around the opening with tangs that extend out into the adjoining areas of original material. Be sure to consider adequate drainage to safeguard the interior from leaks.
Second is to extend the sides of the locker from the opening flanges all the way down to the hull liner and glass it in solidly with perhaps a false bottom so it is not so deep. And with a false bottom above water line level, a drain could be installed to drain overboard in case of water ingress or to store fule products whose fumes you want to go overboard safely.
In any case, take care to avoid any leakage at top, sides or bottom to the interior of water or air.

March
Captain

Post by March » Sun May 10, 2009 5:22 pm

The problem is not so much the integrity of the bench in the cockpit, but the results down below. The lid you will install will open right above the rear berth. You may, of course, install a box there, but I find the sitting up sections of the rear birth very handy. Once they are gone, the rear birth would become quite impractical for sleeping. The lids MIGHT leak, too, as the Night Sailor pointed out--over the rear berth. Yikes!
I have installed windows on the bottom of the benches (verical part). One of the best mods ever, even though the view is kind of bland: the interior of the cockpit. Dremmelling through the two layers of fiberglass was easy. I used expandable foam between the two layers of fiberglass, siliconed the windows in place--no problem with leaks or integrity

Indulgence
First Officer

Post by Indulgence » Sun May 10, 2009 6:25 pm

Night Sailor:
I had planned on making the closure watertight with rubber gaskets, etc,
but you are right- if something goes wrong as it most often does, I need to have a way
to drain this locker. It looks like it would be quite feasible to put at tee into the sink drain
in the head and avoid another thru-hull. Good point.
No fuel storage necessary, but your comments about reinforcing echo my own thoughts.

March:
Ah Ha! Expanding foam between the inner and outer hull. Smart.
Points well taken, but in our 'X' we can't, don't or won't use the starboard berth and we certainly
can't sit up in there. One kid uses the port berth. My storage locker will not only not interfere
with her private space, it will keep all our nautical junk out of her way. Win/win.
To clarify, I'm not worried about the structural integrity of the bench seat:
I'm concerned about the stress on the hull itself in heavy wind/weather.

( I cut the roof off a Volkswagen when I was sixteen, to make it into a convertible,
and quickly realized how important it was to the overall structural integrity of the car.
I don't want the same thing to happen to my beloved Mac!)

That's what I like about discussions on this board, simple ideas, thoughtful answers.
Thank you.

Trouts Dream
Captain
Location: Calgary, Alberta--1997 26X--Yamaha 90HP 2 Stroke....grunt, grunt

Post by Trouts Dream » Sun May 10, 2009 7:36 pm

Whichever way you, you best get crackin...
Waters rising and we should be sailing within 2-3 weeks :) 8)

Indulgence
First Officer

Post by Indulgence » Sun May 10, 2009 8:33 pm

Waters rising and we should be sailing within 2-3 weeks
You are so right Mister Trout! This might be one for next year, weather dependant.
See you on the water, can't wait...

Gazmn
Admiral
Location: Bayside, NY '97X, E-tec 115 Pontoon, The "Ollie Gray" & '01 Chevy Tahoe W/ Tow Pkg

Post by Gazmn » Tue May 12, 2009 2:03 pm

I have this on my 97 :macx: from the previous owner who did an OK job. :P

I still keep and use the 2 large storage boxes this let me access from the cockpit. It's basically a lazerette [spelling?] storage area.
It's a great and very useful mod but you need to construct it right or you'll deal with leaks - as I have :x

He used a lg size access hatch about 24" x 10". I'll get actual measurements later. It's a useful closet just abaft of the head. Crawl underneath and determine largest hatch or desired hatch opening. Just leave enough room for flange and make sure you don't hit the sealed gas locker.

I keep snorkling gear, stern anchor tackle, my fenders [4 lg] And my mandatory 6 PFDs there for easy access 8)
These are the 2 large Orange crates in place, starboard rear:

I don't have a topside picture of the hatch

P.S. There should be no structural issues if done correctly. However, I'm moored and the 24hr launch I use loads and unloads us from that side. We step in and out of the boat on the worn cover :P

John Jessie
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: MacGregor 25

Post by John Jessie » Wed May 13, 2009 6:28 pm

The old Mac 25's have a lazerette on the starboard side cocpit that does not leak or impair the structural integrity of the boat. The lip actually curves down the side of the bench about 2". You could copy that design. Next time I get a chance, I'll take a picture and post.

John

Indulgence
First Officer

Post by Indulgence » Wed May 13, 2009 9:56 pm

please do, sounds like what I have in mind.
L.

Kelly Hanson East
Admiral
Location: Kelly Hanson Marine........Mac 26M Dealer......Freedom Boat Works

Post by Kelly Hanson East » Fri May 15, 2009 8:58 am

I think the way I would do this is to cut the horizontal part of the seat only, maintaining the structural stiffness of the seat by leaving the curved part of the seat intact, and installing a 12x18 sized hatch in the top of the seat for the access. Remember to crack-stop all corners and holes.

Indulgence
First Officer

Post by Indulgence » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:45 pm

I listened to all of you and pondered for a year.
Decided to do it. Will let you know how it works out.

Closed

Open

pokerrick1
Admiral
Sailboat: Venture 23

Post by pokerrick1 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:57 pm

Is that a coat hook on the "open" picture?

Rick :( :macm: Less

Indulgence
First Officer

Post by Indulgence » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:09 pm

Not really Rick, it's a garden tool hook for in a garage.
I hang life jackets on it. Going to be a lot easier to get at them now!

Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:28 am

It will be nice since now you can reach them the minute you get on your boat, and can stow them at the end of the day of course.... :) :) :)

Indulgence
First Officer

Post by Indulgence » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:33 pm

And it takes so much time and engery to track enough water into the cabin for that boaty moldy smell.
Now all I have to do is get sidetracked and forget to close this stupid hatch in a rainstorm.