Taking boat off of trailer for...

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.

Moderators: kmclemore, NiceAft, Hamin' X, Catigale, beene

vizwhiz
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Taking boat off of trailer for...

Post by vizwhiz » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:26 pm

Was poking around and saw this... http://www.macgregorsailors.com/modt/in ... ?view=1428
Looks good, but more like it is something intended for long-term work/storage. Also looks like you need a place to store all the long lumber.

Is there a less intense way to take the boat off the trailer for short-term work? Are there lifting points where you can...say...jack up the back end of the boat to lift it off the trailer, but not by putting something under it where you then...can't get to the bottom of the boat? :P

Just wondering what other experiences y'all have had in getting the boat off the trailer for short-term bottom work...

Rick - tying the back of the boat to the neighbor's fence and taking off really fast probably wouldn't work in this case...the neighbor's fence wouldn't take it!! :D

Matt19020
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Middle River, Chesapeake Bay MD...2007 MacM Suzuki DF70 4-Stroke ..... "My Time"

Re: Taking boat off of trailer for...

Post by Matt19020 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:35 pm

If you can not hook up to the neighbors fence you can always attach the anchor to stern cleats and pull away slowly! :D

Not sure how short term you are talking about but this may or may not help:
http://www.macgregorsailors.com/modt/index.php?view=858

beene
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by beene » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:12 pm

All I do is lower the trailer tongue to the ground, pile some 4x4 lumber on the ground under the extreme rear of the boat until it touches the bottom of the boat, then raise the trailer tongue back up again and keep cranking the tongue up until I get the boat hull high enough in the air to do what I need to do. That will give you access to all but the small area at the front of the boat where the V bed of the trailer is holding the hull.

I do this every spring, paint the bottom, and put her in the water.

Cheers

G

K9Kampers
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by K9Kampers » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:25 am

A big discussion on the task from awhile ago: LINK

puggsy
Captain
Sailboat: Venture 25
Location: MACLESS but not quite BOATLESS in Perth Western Australia

Post by puggsy » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:27 am

If you are near a marina boat lifter...the type that straddle the hull and have slings...check them for price...usually a lift costs about $140...out and then into the water, but in the case of a trailer...off and on...daily storage rate is about $20-25..
Get them to place the hull on high blocks and fit side supports [ adjusable like acro props] or ready made welded pipe supports. then hop in and pressure clean the hull and get some anti fouling on...
A few dollars spent can take all the worry out of the problem.
when I wanted BEGAZZA on her 'as new' trailer, I had a truck with HI-AB come in, sling her and lift her onto the trailer, and while it was supported by the slings, adjust the trailer supports to suit.

Note how I can trailer her without disconnecting the mast from the swivel point on the tabernacle [ my design ]
...it just sticks over the stern by about four feet and I add a red rag for following traffic to judge clearance...but its a long tow.

vizwhiz
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by vizwhiz » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:00 pm

Okay - lots of good info...thanks!
And a great link, K9... :wink:

mustsail2

Post by mustsail2 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:00 pm

Hello,
I have some pix of my 26D off of its trailer, but am unsure of how to post them.
I needed to take my M26D off the trailer to get rusted sections removed and replacements welded in. While it was empty, I scraped and painted it.
I was lucky to have a set of gate posts (old telephone poles) higher than the boat behind my barn. I cut a standing dead oak tree about 6 inches in diameter at the thinner end and placed it so that spanned the posts. I secured it with strips of PT wood and lag bolts.
I put the front of the boat down as far as I could and placed a cradle under the back made of stacked 4X4s and a few bags of sand, to make an easy contour to the bottom of the stern. I then hooked a 4,000lb test tow strap under the boat about 2/3rds of the way to the front. I used a come-along on each side to lift the boat off the trailer. I pulled the trailer out and I put two plastic juice drums under the front and lowered the boat down onto them, without taking all of the weight off the come-alongs.
This worked very well; a week latter, when the trailer was ready, I lifted the boat again and walked the trailer back into position.
Chris
Restless
1990 26D
New Hampshire