Reconnect Centerboard Cable

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Ponk
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Reconnect Centerboard Cable

Post by Ponk » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:37 pm

The centerboard cable in the 99x I purchased last year has released. I have a new cable in hand (I opted for it instead of line as would like the repair to me more permanent) but I don’t know how to terminate/reconnect it to the centerboard. I was hoping I could dive under, pass the cable through the hole in the centerboard, bring the end out if the water, connect/fasten/close it somehow and pull it back up from the deck end. But I heard the 90 degree turn that results (same as the factory install) is a bad idea on wire rope. I also would rather do in the water than pay to haul it out of the water or take the whole centerboard out from the trailer. Any suggestions on how I might make this connection? Any pictures or drawings on what's waiting for me under the boat.
Thanks in advance.

TonyHouk
First Officer
Location: My Hometown, Lincoln, Ne.. "98 X with a '95 Evinrude 115

Re: Reconnect Centerboard Cable

Post by TonyHouk » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:31 pm

My Thoughts for you PonK,
I am in the same boat, well maybe mine is a different boat but it is still a X. My cable was intact last year when I lost the bolt that goes through the board. I was able to hold up the board with a rope under the boat on the way back to the dock. I am in the process of fiber-glassing the board back up and reinstalling the board back into the slot. My boat is on the trailer. I will have a little easier time installing the cable. The cable is long enough for you to drop it through the tube with slack and go diving. My board was held to the cable with a bolt and nut. I would buy some cheap tools since you are obviously going to have to submerse them to do the repair. I would suggest that you anchor the boat bow and stern so that you won't be following the boat side to side from the wind. It would be even easier if you just tied it to the dock. Once the cable is installed again just haul the cable back up and lock it off. I hope that helps. I will pass my experience when I put my board back on in a few days. Tony

Ponk
Just Enlisted

Post by Ponk » Sun May 08, 2011 3:08 pm

Well I ended up getting my X hauled up in the slings at Thunderbird Marina for a half hour to do the work, which was a great idea. The centerboard had only a screw, locknut and washer left in it. There was no connection to reconnect the cable to. It looked like the initial install (or previous repair) had just the loose end of a wire rope wrapped around the bolt a couple times and then pinched with a washer and lock nut against recessed area of the centerboard itself.

I had a one end of my new wire rope crimped with a thimble at one end, with the other end empty (dead) to thread through the boat. I passed the cable from the bottom-up and passed a new bolt through the crimped end with a new lock nut and washed. I did not pinch the cable with the washer as previously done. The guys at the dock correctly pointed out that some play would be better than having it completely locked down. The guys at the dock provided some lock tight for the bolt and ground down the end of it flush to the lock nut. Very helpfull. Between them and my buddy Greg (who I brought to assist with the time limited repair) I was completely happy with the repair. This cable is not comming away from the centerboard ever again.

Now, if I was smart, I would put a 'weak link' between the deck end of the cable and the rope that gets cleated so if there was ever a great load to the raised centerboard, it would release between the cable and the rope on the deck, and not tear the bolt out of the centerboard. Is there such a thing?

Hamin' X
Site Admin
Location: Hermiston, OR-----------2001 26X DF-50 Suz---------------(Now Sold)

Post by Hamin' X » Mon May 09, 2011 8:20 am

If anything, I would make this link stronger. No way would I want the board to deploy while I was powering above hull speed. What kind of great load to the raised board were you thinking might happen? :?

~Rich

Rick Westlake
Captain
Location: Casa Rio Marina, Mayo, MD; MacGregor 26X, "Bossa Nova" - Bristol 29.9 "Halcyon"

Post by Rick Westlake » Mon May 09, 2011 4:11 pm

I had my cable corrode through in 2009 - while at anchor, and it's a highly unkind way to be woke up when the centerboard goes down CLUNK! I went through the same drill, crimped an eye on the board end and bolted it in place, peened down the bolt so it wouldn't let go (so I thought!), and reinstalled the centerboard.

I lost the bolt a few months later. This time I chose to run a one-piece Sta-Set centerboard line. It hasn't had any troubles, though I know it will wear eventually and I'll have to replace it too.

What I did is to drill a second hole through the "notch" area in the board, pull the line through from that side and back, then I tied a figure-8 knot and melted it shut with a grill-lighter. That knot won't let loose until I cut it off to replace the line - or until the next owner of Bossa Nova does so.

Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale » Tue May 10, 2011 5:45 am

My 2002 cb line lasted about 6 Seasons with the wear being on the top surface where the line makes the 90 degree bend to go below deck. I was motivated to replace it by compression post failure which is documented n repairs.

opie
Captain

Post by opie » Tue May 10, 2011 8:55 am

I have a Macgregorsailors.com link that you may find interesting. While "search" function is usually very useful, it fails sometimes when the title of the search is a bit incorrect. In the following link, the title was "swing keel" and that is not what the "X" has. (A sailor member falls on his sword in the thread, apologizing for the misnomer..... :P )

The link that shows some centerboard cable options, specifically using a pulley to direct the cable down.....LINK HERE

Note: As KHE has pointed out well in other posts, the wear on the line is usually at the point under the boat that the line scrapes on the trailing edge of the board. The pulley above does not have anything to do with that, it just makes it easier for the board to drop down and raise up.

Ponk
Just Enlisted

Post by Ponk » Wed May 11, 2011 7:17 pm

My cable released when I was under power heading into some 5 foot waves. I had reduced my speed significantly from full (probably less than 50%) and heading into them. I think the ceterboard tried to drop before the boat crested the wave and met the tension of the rope then released from the weakest point, at the centerboard. It retrospect, I will not be taking on those kind of waves head-on again but I would rather the weakest link was above the deck where I could easily reattach it if necessary.

An interesting note, I belly-tied it a several times after that until I had completed the repair and I would leave the rope tied in place a couple feet behind the mast, believing I was keeping the centerboard raised while I was under power. On each occassion, as soon as I had slowed down and started taking on water ballast, I noticed that my centerboard was down.

It seems my rope had slipped past the centerboard while under power, but did not drop. I wonder if the speed is enough to keep the centerboard up once it is raised. When I think about it, when the centerboard line is released, the speed at which is cuts through the water is obviously much slower than the +15 knots when powering at full speed. So it would stand to reason that at full speed it can't fall fast enough to fight through the water.

Next time I am out at full speed, I will release the centerboard line from the cleat and see if there is any tension on the line.