Lightning????

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Catigale
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Re: Lightning????

Post by Catigale » Thu May 24, 2012 8:29 pm

My basis for this is reading the studies cited by the guys selling protection systems. the numbers of strikes data is flawed in that the data collection methodology is not documented, so its low grade TP I'm afraid

I am fully versed in the use of FUD techniques to sell snake oil to a casual boater afraid of strikes, however.

Statistically, there isn't enough data to get meaningful conclusions on effectiveness. If you feel good about bolting stuff onto your boat then go to it....but the studies I have read are not conclusive IMHO.

Most of us on this Board are best served with a tactic of lightning avoidance rather than an enginering solution.

raycarlson
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by raycarlson » Fri May 25, 2012 7:14 am

ive repaired dozens of lightning strikes to jet airliners, in my experience if your worried about being hit in your boat,buy an aluminum hulled boat and get inside during any lightning storms, the aluminum hull will safely disapate the charge thru the hull skin and you will never even know you were hit and probably never even find the point where the bolt struck your boat, on aircraft there routinely only found during heavy maintence checks and are a minor five minute fix.

Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale » Fri May 25, 2012 12:38 pm

Ive heard that so called Hoch & Keckler lightning can punch a hole in a fuselage if you are unlucky... :wink:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/200 ... 7393_x.htm

raycarlson
Captain

Post by raycarlson » Sat May 26, 2012 7:07 am

i'll bet he wishes he could blame that on a lightning strike

fortunare
Sailboat: MacGregor 19

Post by fortunare » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:52 pm

has anyone used a connection between the side stays to a plate under the waterline for lightning protection? Seems easier to just run a copper strip from the side stays along the hull to an underwater plate rather than trying to make a connection from the mast down through the inside of the boat. Since lightning starts at the ground and goes up, this should dissipate any energy that would start a strike.

RussMT
Admiral

Post by RussMT » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:00 am

(resurrected thread)
One of the biggest boating discussions....lightning.

How big would that plate be?
Fresh or salt water?

So many opinions.

If you are going with the dissipation angle, I see a lot of these mast brushes on tops of boats.

Jimmyt
Captain

Post by Jimmyt » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:06 am

I'm hoping that my Etec 60 will provide adequate lightning protection. If I can't outrun it, maybe a quick prayer...

Based on my experience, lightning is attracted to new and expensive items. The first good lightning storm we had after I installed my new air conditioner at home, got the new ac, all of my gfci plugs, cable modem, aluminum fascia on the north end of the house, and blew up several roof shingles where it either came or went. Funny thing was, there was a very tall pine tree within 10 feet of the strike that was totally unaffected. Numerous other trees taller than the house, but shorter than the pine, were also unaffected. The only possible conclusion is lightning, like my wife, prefers expensive stuff.

So, in the next lightning storm, if you can't outrun it, pick a flashy, high dollar boat anywhere close by and park next to him. Surely the lightning is going to prefer the more expensive boat...

Ponaldpe
First Officer

Post by Ponaldpe » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:10 am

RussMT wrote:(resurrected thread)

So many opinions.

If you are going with the dissipation angle, I see a lot of these mast brushes on tops of boats.

I believe that bird prevention not lighting.

yukonbob
Admiral
Sailboat: Other

Post by yukonbob » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:43 am

Ponaldpe wrote:

So many opinions.

Isn't lightning an effective enough bird deterrent? :P

Catigale
Site Admin

Post by Catigale » Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:23 am

Prevents birds from alighting??

RussMT
Admiral

Post by RussMT » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:05 pm

Ponaldpe wrote:

So many opinions.

Probably keeps birds off too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... ycSaR0IHqo

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/us ... Dissipator

Ponaldpe
First Officer

Post by Ponaldpe » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:29 pm

RussMT wrote:
Ponaldpe wrote:
One of the biggest boating discussions....light
So many opinions.

Probably keeps birds off too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... ycSaR0IHqo

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/us ... Dissipator
I stand corrected learn something new everyday

Chinook
Admiral

Post by Chinook » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:11 pm

Sitting here in Oak Harbor WA on our holiday break with family, I just checked Weatherbug, and I see that we are currently 3,171 miles away from the nearest lightning strike. I expect that distance will shrink when we return to Florida in 6 days to resume our Great Loop cruise. Here's hoping we don't get too close to an electrical storm over the next 9 months.

Herschel
Captain

Post by Herschel » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:39 pm

To quote myself from a previous thread on this topic...I am very impressed with the new NOAA app for our phones that gives real time info about lightening strikes. I have been using it since I got it several months ago. I think it is invaluable. I'll post the BoatUS article that drew our attention to it and a quote from that article.

http://www.boatus.com/seaworthy/magazin ... g-odds.asp

"NOAA has made real-time lightning strike data available, and a number of app developers have integrated it into high-definition weather radar apps for both the iPhone and Android. Google "lightning app NOAA" and you'll find a selection. In addition to keeping you informed of storm activity and movement, these can give you a heads up when lightning is in your area, and allow you to see if it is moving toward you. If you are not too far offshore, they can provide adequate warning to get off the water and to safety before you even get wet."
I have been using this app for about a year in Central Florida for both my Mac sailing/boating and for teaching sailing in local Florida lakes. I remain very positive about the app. I think it gives you pretty close to current lightening strikes as they are happening. There have been times when I looked up at some graying clouds in the distance, thought they were not much to fret about just yet, then checked my app, spied the lightening strikes within the past few minutes and thought better about taking evasive action rather than just "wait and see what develops". And there have been times when the app reinforced my notion that I could stay out a little longer. Wouldn't go out without it now. :P

Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:25 pm

Ponaldpe wrote:

So many opinions.

U all got it wrong u like Roast Duck but do not have a B/Q , this unit will defeather , clean, roast ur duck all in one strike all u need is a big enough platter to catch it on deck , & the power source is free !! :)

J 8)