26M Mast on a 26X

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.

Moderators: kmclemore, beene, NiceAft, Catigale, Hamin' X

sdsailman
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

26M Mast on a 26X

Post by sdsailman » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:19 pm

After losing my mast in a wind storm, and the original 26X mast not being available any longer, I now have a 26M mast, base plate, etc from Macgregor. I am told that a number of 26X have done this mod, but can find no details here. Owing to the location of the centerboard line, and the fact that the 26M mounting brackets are longer, I see an immediate conflict, unless the new mast is mounted more forward. Plust the 26M mast is alread a half-inch deeper than the X mast.

If anyone here had accomplished this change over to a 26M mast, could you please provide details, dimensions, etc. In the mean time – I’ll keep searching.

SDSAILMAN

extreem
Chief Steward

Re: 26M Mast on a 26X

Post by extreem » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:35 pm

Hamin' X
Site Admin
Location: Hermiston, OR-----------2001 26X DF-50 Suz---------------(Now Sold)

Post by Hamin' X » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:01 pm

bscott
Admiral
Location: Arvada, Colorado 2001 X, M rotating mast, E-tec 60 with Power Thruster, "HUFF n Puff"

Post by bscott » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:33 am

I have the M rotator on my 01 X mounted in the same mast plate location as the the original mast. I kept the same chain plates but cut the spreaders back 4.5" and have adj back stay(2). I replaced my worn out sails at the same time and experienced better performance as well. I reef early as the 2' extra height and heavier mast section is apparent.

Bob

sdsailman

Post by sdsailman » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:01 pm

Extreem, Hamin X and BobScott:

Thanks for the replies; On TampaMac's mods I note that they had to move his chainplates aft 8" and he (apparently) had a custom mast rotational foot made [from the photos]. This is contrary to the information I received from Mike Innmann at Macgregor. However, I can see no way to mount he Factory M mast brackets and rotational foot on the X without either intruding on the center board line, or moving the center of the (new) Mast over 4" aft. Then it is not over the compression post below.

I called Blue Water Yachts because I had been told they were involved in these mods. Boy did I get an ear full from them about how and why Macgregor should not have sold me this mast, had misled me, etc! I sent Bob a seperate email and hopefully he will be able to clarify his mod, or perhaps send me a photo of how his is done.

Not going to start drilling holes in the deck until I am 100% sure how to do this.

Seapup
Captain

Post by Seapup » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:02 pm

After losing my mast in a wind storm, and the original 26X mast not being available any longer, I now have a 26M mast, base plate, etc from Macgregor. Owing to the location of the centerboard line, and the fact that the 26M mounting brackets are longer, I see an immediate conflict, unless the new mast is mounted more forward. Plust the 26M mast is alread a half-inch deeper than the X mast.

If anyone here had accomplished this change over to a 26M mast, could you please provide details, dimensions, etc. In the mean time – I’ll keep searching.

SDSAILMAN
Are you trying to upgrade to a rotating mast or just replace what broke and get sailing again? If you are only looking for a replacement you should be able to just move all the X hardware over. I have a mast similar to the M that is deeper and it just hangs over the front of the stock X foot.

sdsailman

Post by sdsailman » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:16 pm

No, Mike Innman at Macgregor talked me into using the 26M rotating mast, citing "that it will give me better performance". Having owned two boats with rotating masts previously, my curiosity was up, so I decided to give this a try. However, it is proving to be much easier said than done. While an intriguing idea, it may not prove to be worth it in the end . . .we'll see. In the mean time, I'd sure love to find someone close enough who has done this, so I could drive over and look at their boat. So far Bob Scott has given me valuable information - but he isn't close.
SDSAILMAN - San Diego

sdsailman

Post by sdsailman » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:19 pm

SEAPUP- Just re-read your post and something you said intrigued me. If you are using a "wider" mast and it "hangs over" the front of the mounting plate on the X, doesn't it interfer with the center-board line which runs down in front of the mount through the compression post?

Seapup
Captain

Post by Seapup » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:05 pm

SEAPUP- Just re-read your post and something you said intrigued me. If you are using a "wider" mast and it "hangs over" the front of the mounting plate on the X, doesn't it interfer with the center-board line which runs down in front of the mount through the compression post?
The centerboard line/compression post is behind the mast so it wasn't an issue. Since the mast was larger I did have to notch the front of the mast to clear the mast raising bolt at the front of the foot.