Steering hard to port 45 degrees, hard to starboard maybe 25

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
MarkWorsnop
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Steering hard to port 45 degrees, hard to starboard maybe 25

Post by MarkWorsnop »

I am trying to figure out how to adjust the steering .

If I crank the wheel hard to port both rudders and the outboard go to about 45 degrees relative to the transom.

However hard to starboard is goes to 25 degrees... maybe. I haven't been in the water with the boat yet, just spent several months of the winter fixing things. So not sure if this is really important or not.

Any thoughts? Anyone know how to adjust it?
Last edited by MarkWorsnop on Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveB
Admiral
Location: Cape Coral, Florida,1997 Mac. X, 2013 Merc.50hp Big Foot, sold 9/10/15

Re: Steering hard to port 45 degrees, hard to starboard maybe 25

Post by DaveB »

Hard to say as we don't have pictures and year of boat.
If you have the aluminum steering bar bent that connects motor and rudders togeather with a lift arm rod that disconnects the motor to rudders on arm like I have, than you need to adjust the pivit point on the arm.
Have the steering hard over to port, mark the spot than hard over to starboard. Than measure the diffrence between them for center point .
Thats were you need the pivit bolt on the arm.
Dave
MarkWorsnop wrote:I am trying to figure out how to adjust the steering on my 26X...

If I crank the wheel hard to port both rudders and the outboard go to about 45 degrees relative to the transom.

However hard to starboard is goes to 25 degrees... maybe. I haven't been in the water with the boat yet, just spent several months of the winter fixing things. So not sure if this is really important or not.

Any thoughts? Anyone know how to adjust it?
Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale »

For sailing, 45 degrees of rudder angle is a lot and will be slowing your waterbago more than turning it....motoring is different of course. Quick checks...

Centre rudder and see if your wheel turns symmetrically each way....make sure your steering box isn't hangingup. If that's ok, it's hard to imagine something going wrong in the rest of the linkage unless the cable is binding?
Sea Wind
First Officer

Post by Sea Wind »

In my 01 :macx:, if I steer hard to starboard the left rudder hits the ladder leg, but I get more than 25 degrees. Is the nut in the steering arm tigh? If it is loose it would let you turn to port but it would slide going to starboard.

Sea Wind
pmmcderm
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by pmmcderm »

I've noticed a similar problem on my new :macm: . Anybody else have this problem? I just noticed a couple weeks ago when I was getting away from the pier with strong on-setting winds. Needed all the angle I could get. I didn't measure the angles, but everything is "as-built." The steering linkage is going stop-to-stop, so seems like something more significant (like design problem). I have about a 7-8 degree difference between hard starboard and hard port. The rudders are aligned with the motor, and I do not have the mod to disconnect the motor. Don't think it would make a difference.

Haven't had a chance to really dig into it yet, so I'm curious what other have found, if anything.
DaveB
Admiral
Location: Cape Coral, Florida,1997 Mac. X, 2013 Merc.50hp Big Foot, sold 9/10/15

Post by DaveB »

You should have a quick disconnect from outboard to Steering arm. Sailing with the arm bar disconected is fingertip steering without trying to steer with motor conected and raised.Having the arm disconnective also saves wear and tear of the connections.
Ck your pivit points for wear, you may need to put in a sleave if hole is sloppy.
As I said, in previouse post ..do the Starboard and Port swing for center bolt connection.
Your 7-8 degrees is probably from off center of the center bolt on your steering arm.
There is adjustment on the arm for centering it.
Dave

pmmcderm wrote:I've noticed a similar problem on my new :macm: . Anybody else have this problem? I just noticed a couple weeks ago when I was getting away from the pier with strong on-setting winds. Needed all the angle I could get. I didn't measure the angles, but everything is "as-built." The steering linkage is going stop-to-stop, so seems like something more significant (like design problem). I have about a 7-8 degree difference between hard starboard and hard port. The rudders are aligned with the motor, and I do not have the mod to disconnect the motor. Don't think it would make a difference.

Haven't had a chance to really dig into it yet, so I'm curious what other have found, if anything.
seahouse
Admiral
Location: Niagara at Lake Erie, Ontario. 2011 MacM, 60 hp E-Tec

Post by seahouse »

Hey pm! :D
I've noticed a similar problem on my new . Anybody else have this problem? I just noticed a couple weeks ago when I was getting away from the pier with strong on-setting winds. Needed all the angle I could get. I didn't measure the angles, but everything is "as-built." The steering linkage is going stop-to-stop, so seems like something more significant (like design problem). I have about a 7-8 degree difference between hard starboard and hard port.
Because of the construction and layout of the steering mechanism on an “M”, it’s normal to have a lock to lock asymmetry by an amount about what you are describing.

From memory, starboard lock is limited by one factor, and port lock is limited by a second factor. When you do get a chance to study the linkage, that will become readily apparent- they're out in the open, just pull the motor from side to side. There are a lot of variables on engine mounts etc, so your exact results may vary.

Adding guide bushings at the point where the steering arm passes through the well wall will also change this.

This asymmetry is nothing to be concerned about, really. There are lots of other factors in play here that contribute more to steering asymmetry than the steering travel range, such as prop walk, whether or not you are moving forward or backing, power level and application time, daggerboard extension, and operator skill. Be aware that, when under power, the Mac is no different than other outboard boats which steer more easily in one direction than the other. And have fun!

- Brian. :wink:
Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale »

OP has an :macx: of course...I'm not sure if the :macx: suffers from the Starboard Lag Off Whole tht afflicts the :macm:
Diver70
Just Enlisted

Post by Diver70 »

I had similar problem two years ago and I found out that the cause was in the steering cable. I changed the cable and the problem went away.
The-strikes
Deckhand

Post by The-strikes »

I had that problem last summer with my 2001 :macx: . the Rack & Pinion steering mechanism was broken. Bought a replacement rack with steering cable from BWY, minor tweaks to replace it because the new one is just slightly longer. Whole job took 2-3 hours. The steering is now real easy.
MarkWorsnop

Post by MarkWorsnop »

Sorry everyone that I havent responded back! I had a long to do list and finally have got back to the steering and remembered putting a post here. I forgot to set the post to email me so I didnt think anyone had answered.

I am still a week or two away from the first voyage so I will check the steering underway and see if it makes a difference or not.

If there were an adjust on on where the end of the cable mounts that would fix the problem, but so far I havent found any adjustment! I am going to guess that the 25 degrees is way more than enough, but its the point of the matter that is bugging me! I think it should be the same on both sides, or at least close :D

Thanks for all the input!!
igooba
Deckhand

Re: Steering hard to port 45 degrees, hard to starboard mayb

Post by igooba »

Hi Everyone,

I have a 2005 26m with honda 50 and having the same issues. (Newly purchased)
I can hardly turn at all one way but the other has a great deal of turn.

It looks like it is the outboard linkage bar connection bolt hitting the hole where the bar comes out of limiting the movement. It doesn't look right but I am not sure if it has always been like this since install of the motor as I brought second hand.

Does anyone have any ideas? I can't use the boat with it like this and want to get ready for summer.
Happy to buy the bwy quick release linkage bar but not sure if this will fit the Honda or if it will resolve the issue.

Thanks for your help

Obelix
Captain

Post by Obelix »

I have a 2008M and was wondering about the same issue.
When I recently retightened the connection between the lower end of the steering cable and the rudder-arm, I measured the exposed distance of the steering-cable end to the connecting screw on the rudder-arm in the center position, the extreme port and the extreme starboard position. I found that the bracket holding the end of the steering cable seems to be located 1/2" offset to favor movement to the port side.
When I had the rudders and the engine in the center position, the distance between the physical end of the cable and the steering connection was 3.25". Turning the steering all the way to starboard, the connector was 0.5" from the cable-end. Turning it all the way to port, the end was 8.0" away from the end. To get equal travel to both port and starboard, the rudders should be centered at a travel distance of 3.75".
To achieve that, a new mounting bracket would have to be designed to move the steering-cable end 0.5" farther away from the rudder connection point. The question really is, do we need all that travel to both sides? Even beyond the point where the rudders already act more as breaks, then to be steering the boat?
Maybe the mechanical limitation on the outboard connection forced this design? :evil:

Obelix
kevinnem
First Officer

Post by kevinnem »

IF the ladder is down, and the engine is down (something I do about 80% of the time) , then you can turn to starboard well, but i hits the ladder turning to port.

something to consider.
raycarlson
Captain

Post by raycarlson »

for M only, this difference in amount of right-left steering angles is not correctable without major re-engnring macgregors cheap design, most important is to first get the rudders to alighn with eachother (most don't) unless you have a competent dealer, then work on getting both rudders to alighn with the motor. Once you have them all pointing in the same direction this will leave you with about a 15-20 degree difference in right left steering angle. For very tight steering situations such as marina's or crowed anchorages I lift the seat disconnect motor from linkage, sit on right side to operate throttle, and steer motor with left foot, with motor disconnected you gain an extra 20 degrees steering in both directions, and at idle speeds it steers very easy just pushing the motor around with your foot, much much more control this way in tight windy conditions.