Transom outboard mount

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
bartmac
Captain

Transom outboard mount

Post by bartmac »

Just concerned whether this mount is too low??? I felt it needed to be much higher to allow for heeling

http://www.macgregorsailors.com/modt/in ... ?view=1931

We fitted ours higher and lengthened the arms

http://www.macgregorsailors.com/modt/in ... ?view=1770
Chinook
Admiral

Re: Transom outboard mount

Post by Chinook »

It looks too low to me. Heeling is one issue, but having the kicker drag in the water when motoring is another potential problem.
mastreb
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by mastreb »

That's too low I think. When heeling, you won't be able to keep the boat from rounding up due to extra drag from the prop.

Ask Catigale--I believe he has direct experience with the matter.
mdeane
Engineer

Post by mdeane »

Thanks for your comments guys. When motoring, the dinghy kicker lower unit will be out of the water with the mounting braked in the up position and the motor tilted up. The heeling potential problem is an excellent point and one I had not thought through. You have me thinking about possible workaround solutions. Thanks again for your input.
:macm: 8)
Marc
bartmac
Captain

Post by bartmac »

Lengthen the arms of the brackets will store the motor higher....mine went from 12" to about 20" to get the reach into the water
mdeane
Engineer

Post by mdeane »

Having just returned from a two week cruise in the ICW, traveling over 200 NM from Gulf Breeze to Panama City, FL and back, I can report the outboard mount modification was a success. After receiving some excellent comments regarding potential healing problems, I added two blocks to the mount, raising the motor 3/4" and moving it back 1/2". This allowed for enough tilt to keep the prop completely out of the water and the skeg getting dipped intermittently
in a 25 deg heel. We don't sail much beyond 25 deg's, Admiral's orders.