Battery replacement

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

innervations
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Perth, Western Australia, "Talani Jayne" a 2010 Mac26M with ETec 60

Re: Battery replacement

Post by innervations » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:56 am

Both my starter and house batteries are on their last legs due to my poor charging managment :? Cheap AC charger unit used to keep them topped up is likely culprit. Am in process of buying a new Ctek charger with integration to my solar panel as well as AC when in marina berth.

Anyway, have to get two new batteries before this weekend if possible. Based on posts on this board I am thinking best to get two matching deep cycle Type 27 batteries. I have Etec 60 which does not seem to require a starter battery with large cranking current.

I have been looking at the Optima D27M http://www.batteriesdirect.com.au/shop/ ... ttery.html but they are expensive in Oz. Happy to pay if they are as good as the sales pitch states :D

Any experience with the Optimas or other recommendations? Particularly from people in Australia?

Have been very interested in DaveB comments about 6volt batteries in series but did not wish to change the current location and bracing too much. Rather just drop in two equivalent size batteries (type 27).

yukonbob
Admiral
Sailboat: Other

Post by yukonbob » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:56 am

have been looking at the Optima D27M http://www.batteriesdirect.com.au/shop/ ... ttery.html but they are expensive in Oz. Happy to pay if they are as good as the sales pitch states :D
We have two blue tops and love them. just make sure you're actually getting the deep cycle blue tops and not the starter blue top. check optima website for full details. I believe the case on the deep cycles are light grey and the starters are dark grey.

gabid
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by gabid » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:49 pm

Optima are AGM type batteries. Make sure you have the proper charging system, it's different that wet batteries.

March
Captain

Post by March » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:44 pm

I will have to disagree.

I bought a couple of Optimas, marine, deep cycle, as per specs. thinking like you did that the high price would be fully justified; the batteries are lighter, sealed, etc etc.

Bought them in the spring, some 7 years ago. After 16 months, one expired piously, offsetting my finely tuned electrical system (one starting battery, one house battery, connected with a Xantrex distributor, plus a Xantrex display, two solar panels, etc). Much to my surprise, the warranty was for only one year (something I didn't bother to check). Okay, I still got a small rebate and got a regular one "for the time being". Since the batteries were separated, mixing an Optima with a regular one didn't seem an issue...)

One year later the other one died. Bummer. No warranty.

For less than the price of the Optimas, I got three solid Walmart batteries PLUS a Xantrex three battery bank distributor. They have been just fine for the past three years, even though I never recharged them over the winter (I will this Fall though... I always seem to waste a lot of time before the sailing season, recharging all three....)

Maybe the technology has gotten better in the meanwhile... or maybe the warranty has gotten up. The regular batteries have at least a two year warranty.

Phil M
Captain

Post by Phil M » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:01 pm

Deep cycle and marine deep cycle are apparently not the same thing. The marine deep cycle battery is some sort of hybrid battery that is a combination of starter battery and a true deep cycle. Most of our Macs will perform better on a deep cycle battery considering all of the electric gadgets we generally use while sailing, and the ease of cranking our outboard engines.

seahouse
Admiral
Location: Niagara at Lake Erie, Ontario. 2011 MacM, 60 hp E-Tec

Post by seahouse » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:32 pm

Thanks for the friendly reply captain sarcasm

:D :D :D

Yeah, sarcasm is the lowest form of humour…but it is humour nonetheless!

It appears we are both intimately familiar with the technique. It keeps things light, though.

B.- :wink:

seahouse
Admiral

Post by seahouse » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:51 pm

Yeah March I agree - the higher price of the alternate technologies is not justified if you are looking just at the lifetime cost and performance as compared to regular deep cycle FLA (flooded lead-acid) batteries. That's a known (well, in the alternate technologies world of windmills and solar etc it is). Of course, there will always be some exceptions and contradicting anecdotal evidence.

The cost is justified if benefits or characteristics other than that (some mentioned in this and other threads here) are needed or wanted.

I'll be the first to jump into an alternate technology when sources other than sales and manufacturer literature say the performance exceeds FLA batteries on a cost basis. Because I prefer the most bang for the buck above other wants. But so far... nada.

-B. :wink:

yukonbob
Admiral

Post by yukonbob » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:34 pm

I don't see the huge cost difference. I picked up two blue top deep cycles for $150 ea. A good LA marine deep cycle is $100-$120. I've had my optima's for 4 years, don't charge over the winter stored indoors, install them every spring still full. Keeping that in mind when we installed them initially I forgot to change the output on the smrt charger :P and killed the house battery...after three days of being confined to the cabin. Killed to the point the charger would not charge (<10.5) jumped with the starter to trick the charger and voila! good as new and still ticking. Worth the extra $40-$60 for me anyways.

seahouse
Admiral

Post by seahouse » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:39 pm

That is another factor that comes into play; as the existing alternate technologies come down in price in time they become more competitive too.

yukonbob
Admiral

Post by yukonbob » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:57 pm

Just like the PV industry. Although i won't go into the details on that one.

innervations
First Officer

Post by innervations » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:15 pm

Similar here in Australia as I am only seeing 10-15% higher price for the Optima Blue over similar spec AGM batteries. I really wanted sealed and maintenance free rather than flooded lead acid. What happens to these if the boat turtles? Acid to deal with while we drown or does the incoming seawater dilute it sufficiently :D

Joking here buy Australian Yachting guidelines are fully sealed batteries. Still keen to hear other opinions.

Phil M
Captain

Post by Phil M » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:40 pm

If my Mac turtles while I'm in it, would that make it easier for me to kiss my ass goodbye? :D

RobertB
Admiral

Post by RobertB » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:02 pm

Most batteries available here (in the States - probably the first time I have said that) are sealed. Very common on lead acid, standard on AGM, and certainly on spiral AGM (Optima). Here, Optima are priced at a premium, standard AGM have improved such that I do not see much of a case for Optima (and I have owned a few of these). I have also heard, but have no proof, that Optima are not as great as they once were. So, I am not worried about acid if I turtle. I may have a few other things that will take up a bit more of my time - like saving the bottle of Tequila :D or even my own a$$.

seahouse
Admiral

Post by seahouse » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:22 pm

Phil M wrote:If my Mac turtles while I'm in it, would that make it easier for me to kiss my ass goodbye? :D
:D :D :D Phil!

That, and an unsealed battery would make it easier to kiss your acid goodbye! :D

innervations
First Officer

Post by innervations » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:27 am

Thanks everyone. I think I will look at some standard AGM 27 batteries but invest a little more to get a Ctek charger.