Battery replacement

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

dlandersson
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Battery replacement

Post by dlandersson » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:33 am

What about using the space in the bilges to put lots of AA rechargeable batteries? :P
raycarlson wrote:with charger like Promariner with 2-3 independent charging leads which isolates each battery to it's self there is no need to use the same brand, age of battery, that's mainly a marketing strategy to sell more battery's, best investment is small voltmeter to check charged battery after resting 24hrs for true state of charge.

DaveB
Admiral
Location: Cape Coral, Florida,1997 Mac. X, 2013 Merc.50hp Big Foot, sold 9/10/15

Post by DaveB » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:52 pm

That's connecting all batteries to 10amp ac built in charger. House and starter battery on 12volt has to have a diode to protect both house and starter battery under way. Best to have all batteries deep cycle as the voltage remains same even if 29-24 group batteries.
Remember, once your ac charger battery is disconnected from shore power you still need separation with the diode.
Dave

raycarlson wrote:with charger like Promariner with 2-3 independent charging leads which isolates each battery to it's self there is no need to use the same brand, age of battery, that's mainly a marketing strategy to sell more battery's, best investment is small voltmeter to check charged battery after resting 24hrs for true state of charge.

RobertB
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by RobertB » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:02 pm

I agree that it is best to have all the same type of deep cycle. That said, I am adverse to throwing out batteries before they go bad. My setup is two deep cycle house batteries that I can run way down and a third in reserve so I have something left in the morning. I use the car battery as the third just because I have it. When it dies, I will buy another deep cycle gel and put the oddball in the reserve spot. The original lead acid deep cycle just WILL NOT DIE! :x
It is true the ProMariner charger will treat each battery individually, as long as they are isolated. Part of the docking or parking in the driveway drill is to disconnect the batteries from each other (two Perko type switches, see my wiring diagram on recent post). It treats all batteries as one type (selected by the user). I called ProMariner to ask for the best setting. So far, so good. Some day, I may play with diodes to idiot proof it.

DaveB
Admiral
Location: Cape Coral, Florida,1997 Mac. X, 2013 Merc.50hp Big Foot, sold 9/10/15

Post by DaveB » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:21 pm

Best for two group 29 for house and group 24 for starter battery. with a selector switch set to all the motor will charge the failed battery only.
as stated best to have all batteries deepcycle and have the yanida diode to separate them.
I have mentioned many times on this site .
Motor or any other charging system will charge the weak battery only. Why you need batteries separate.
One bad battery will take all the charge and never charge others, why we have diodes to prevent that.
Dave

RobertB wrote:I agree that it is best to have all the same type of deep cycle. That said, I am adverse to throwing out batteries before they go bad. My setup is two deep cycle house batteries that I can run way down and a third in reserve so I have something left in the morning. I use the car battery as the third just because I have it. When it dies, I will buy another deep cycle gel and put the oddball in the reserve spot. The original lead acid deep cycle just WILL NOT DIE! :x
It is true the ProMariner charger will treat each battery individually, as long as they are isolated. Part of the docking or parking in the driveway drill is to disconnect the batteries from each other (two Perko type switches, see my wiring diagram on recent post). It treats all batteries as one type (selected by the user). I called ProMariner to ask for the best setting. So far, so good. Some day, I may play with diodes to idiot proof it.

RobertB
Admiral

Post by RobertB » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:22 am

My setup allows me to charge any individual or combination of batteries and to use any or all combinations of batteries at one time. This allows me flexibility to manage situations where I have a bad battery, want to charge only one or two, or combine all for a long, hot, and wild night using the fans, refrigerator, and entertainment system.

I imagine I would need to make new hold downs for size 29 batteries, I have stayed with size 24 for now. I will not argue what is best, I have stayed with what is cost effective and functional for me. If I could always afford best, I would have a much bigger boat :) with a hovercraft for a tender..... And a crew all named Peaches.

raycarlson
Captain

Post by raycarlson » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:26 am

I vote to spend cash on Peaches rather then diodes also!!

Dimitri-2000X-Tampa
Admiral
Location: Tampa, Florida 2000 Mercury BigFoot 50HP 4-Stroke on 26X hull# 3575.B000

Post by Dimitri-2000X-Tampa » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:03 am

RobertB wrote:I imagine I would need to make new hold downs for size 29 batteries, I have stayed with size 24 for now. I will not argue what is best, I have stayed with what is cost effective and functional for me. If I could always afford best, I would have a much bigger boat :) with a hovercraft for a tender..... And a crew all named Peaches.
Well, I used to use group 27 in my battery tray (and a group 24 in the stock holder that came with the Mac 26X). A couple months ago when I replaced them, I accidentally bought a group 29 and hadn't realized that until I pulled the old ones out. I measured the batteries and yes, group 29 is slightly bigger, then I measured the battery 'tray' for lack of a better word and it was about half an inch too short, but made out of plastic so I figured I would try to shoehorn the new battery in there for grins. Literally using a putty knife as a shoehorn, I got the plastic tray to expand a bit and the battery plopped in..so, now its held even more securely and I think I have about 80 more CCA in the 29 over a 27.

The moral of the story being...even if it doesn't look like it will quite fit, try it anyway :D

dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:33 am

I'd settle for a crew with "i" or "y" at the end of their first name. I'm not as picky as you are. :P
RobertB wrote:If I could always afford best, I would have a much bigger boat :) with a hovercraft for a tender..... And a crew all named Peaches.

RobertB
Admiral

Post by RobertB » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:48 am

dlandersson wrote:I'd settle for a crew with "i" or "y" at the end of their first name. I'm not as picky as you are. :P
RobertB wrote:If I could always afford best, I would have a much bigger boat :) with a hovercraft for a tender..... And a crew all named Peaches.
Really,.... My brother in laws are Tommy, Bobby, Jimmy (at least that is what my wife calls them). :D

And another thread dives into the gutter. :P

RussMT
Admiral

Post by RussMT » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:23 pm

dlandersson wrote:What about using the space in the bilges to put lots of AA rechargeable batteries? :P
I don't think you would get much capacity with AA. I would go for the extra expense of D cell batteries. They certainly would make good ballast.

dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:08 pm

But rechargable? :)
RussMT wrote:
dlandersson wrote:What about using the space in the bilges to put lots of AA rechargeable batteries? :P
I don't think you would get much capacity with AA. I would go for the extra expense of D cell batteries. They certainly would make good ballast.

Chopper Pilot
Engineer
Location: Washington D.C. area 2013 Macgregor 26M 70HP Suzuki " The AirBender"

Post by Chopper Pilot » Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:28 pm

I was thinking about building one of these strictly for my engine cranking application. The have over a million discharge cycles. Can't get that out of a battery. This would not have any use for my house battery requirements, just cranking. I could have the ability to pull from the house batteries if I would like, but this would be my primary for cranking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPJao1xLe7w

RussMT
Admiral

Post by RussMT » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:08 pm

Chopper Pilot wrote:I was thinking about building one of these strictly for my engine cranking application. The have over a million discharge cycles. Can't get that out of a battery. This would not have any use for my house battery requirements, just cranking. I could have the ability to pull from the house batteries if I would like, but this would be my primary for cranking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPJao1xLe7w
That capacitor pack is pretty cool. Seems a bit scary also, but very interesting. I need to look into this.

The admiral got me one of these for my birthday

http://www.amazon.com/Jumbl-Portable-St ... mp+starter

I haven't actually tried to start anything with it, however this review has.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFixA66-2To

Also has 2 USB ports and a bright LED light. Great emergency device and so small.

--Russ