tired of polishing the Coon stripes

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.

Moderators: beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair, Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod

1st Sail
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

tired of polishing the Coon stripes

Post by 1st Sail » Sat May 31, 2014 9:24 pm

The previous owner polished the hull but let the topsides chalk. The boat was 2yrs old when I bought it so I went to work buffing the topsides back to life. Needless to say I went all in. Random orbital Porter Cable buffer, 3 grades of compound, top rated marine waxes rated by Practical Sailor. A few months of sunshine and the top sides are dull like before.

So today I thru in the towel, power washed and scrubbed with soft brush and scrub pad. Then grabbed a bottle of Nufinish and polished the topsides with 2 coats. End result is a satin sheen but as expected no deep gloss shine. Time will tell

NuFinish is not a wax but a ptf sealer. I'll keep you posted. Keep in mind the stripes were dull but not chalked or heavily oxidized.

Has anyone tried this without buffing fist?

NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Re: tired of polishing the Coon stripes

Post by NiceAft » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:44 am

Last year I just painted them :!:

After nine seasons, I just got tired of polishing them. This is the start of season ten with the boat, and season one with the newly painted stripes, and I am satisfied, so far.

Why do we call them coon stripes, instead of what they are, simulated windows :?: I guess coon stripes is easier.

Ray

Ixneigh
Admiral

Post by Ixneigh » Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:25 am

I've been using penetrol on mine.
Ix

Azzarac
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: "Chameleon" in the Middle of the Mid-West w/Honda BF50

Post by Azzarac » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:15 am

I used NewGlass2 on our bandit stripe (ha, yeah, another term for it! LOL) and have been very pleased with it. This is the second season we've used it. This year I didn't even strip the old layer. Just added 2 more coats over it and it looks great! :D

Before:

After:

Al Garrett
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Al Garrett » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:03 am

The 26X is such a beautiful boat without them. I'm thinking of including that in my modification list.

http://www.macgregorsailors.com/modt/in ... ?view=1614

Not sure how to include hot link to the mods section.

Boblee
Admiral

Post by Boblee » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:12 pm

The chalking is the least of my concerns with these stripes, what really bugs me is the heat collection, to step on this black on a hot day (30c+) is a pain especially when the white is actually not even warm, let alone the transference to the interior.
If I was buying another new boat and it was an option there would be no black at all.

NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:19 pm

Except for the cross groved area leading from the deck to the bow, I try to never stand on the black areas; they are too slick.

Ray

fishheadbarandgrill
Captain
Sailboat: Other

Post by fishheadbarandgrill » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:54 am

I put non-skid strips on areas of my black stripes almost immediately after buying the boat.... got tired of slipping.

Bob

Ixneigh
Admiral

Post by Ixneigh » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:32 am

I used black durabak nonskid compound on mine, and works and looks great.
Ix

raycarlson
Captain

Post by raycarlson » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:33 am

I'm with the aussie guy, heat transfer is the worst thing about those stripes. I went with some 100grit DA sander, then nice new white gelcoat. Left only the black on the side between each window set and that will probably go this winter.

NiceAft
Admiral

Post by NiceAft » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:40 am

I'm having a hard time believing that those black stripes (due to being on the sides and very little on the deck top) make a difference in temperature inside the cabin. I'd be interested in someone who is going to remove the black, that before doing so, keep a record of inside and outside temperatures. After removing the black, maintain the same record keeping. It should be interesting to see if there is significant difference, or a difference at all.

Ray

seahouse
Admiral
Location: Niagara at Lake Erie, Ontario. 2011 MacM, 60 hp E-Tec

Post by seahouse » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:02 am

NiceAft wrote:I'm having a hard time believing that those black stripes (due to being on the sides and very little on the deck top) make a difference in temperature inside the cabin. I'd be interested in someone who is going to remove the black, that before doing so, keep a record of inside and outside temperatures. After removing the black, maintain the same record keeping. It should be interesting to see if there is significant difference, or a difference at all.

Ray
Agree. The black stripes are also very good radiators of heat, and the majority of the heat would be radiated toward the exterior, and much less toward the interior, which also has an untapped air space between it and the liner to block it. The windows themselves would be transmitting a bigger chunk of heat (per unit area) to the interior (though less than if they were clear, contrary to first thought).

-Brian. :wink:

EZ
Engineer

Post by EZ » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:57 am

When I put my hand on the cabin ceiling (underside of where the black stripe is on the deck) it is noticeably hot. I don't know what the thermal resistance is between this area or how much heat is getting transferred to the cabin. In the coarse of a day, I would imagine "white stripes" would make a noticeable difference in cabin temperature.

EZ
Engineer

Post by EZ » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:00 pm

NiceAft,

Do you have any pictures of your painted stripes?

NiceAft
Admiral

Post by NiceAft » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:03 pm

I'm sorry, I don't. It's not a problem to take them though. They look black and shiny :)

Ray