Anchor Roller Installation

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

RGF
Engineer

Re: Anchor Roller Installation

Post by RGF » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:21 am

Thanks for the better pics , Dimitri.

RussMT
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by RussMT » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:52 am

Dimitri-2000X-Tampa wrote: Image

Base
Only 11 left in stock (more on the way).

$17.49

Where would you put that?

The M has the nav light just under and in front of the pulpit. Never in the way.

Dimitri-2000X-Tampa
Admiral
Location: Tampa, Florida 2000 Mercury BigFoot 50HP 4-Stroke on 26X hull# 3575.B000

Post by Dimitri-2000X-Tampa » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:28 am

My assumption is that the base goes right into the same hole that the current bow light is in..then, with the 12 inch pole, it would clear the anchor and have plenty of visibility. Even 4 inches would have been plenty, but this seems to be the shortest pole mounted nav light I saw. I was also looking for the pulpit mounted one like used on the 26M as well as later versions of the 26X but was not able to find it on defender, WM or amazon so since I don't have one, I'm not sure if it actually attaches to the pulpit or if there is a plate that attaches to the pulpit and then a more normal deck light is attached to that.

As menioned previously, a pulpit light would probably be easiest, except for having to snake the wire through the pulpit itself...I don't know, I'm still pondering what to do, without wanting to cut any access panels into my foam compartment. Same problem of how to run the wires with the hull mounted side lights...unless they are very far foward in the same general area as the where I had to attach the bow roller and relocate the cleat.

Newell
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Newell » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:15 pm

Dimetri,

A question about how you cleat off the rode? It looks like you have removed the starboard cleat, so the rode is cleated to the port cleat? Is there any problem with the sharp bend in the rode at the aft terminal end of the anchor roller?

Dimitri-2000X-Tampa
Admiral

Location: Tampa, Florida 2000 Mercury BigFoot 50HP 4-Stroke on 26X hull# 3575.B000

Just gathering ideas about choosing a anchor roller and getting up to speed on better anchoring practices and equipment solutions.

Newell :macx:

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:46 pm

Dimitri-2000X-Tampa wrote:Image
I wouldn't use that for a couple of reasons. First, it's pretty vulnerable sticking up like that, though you certainly could shorten it if you felt so inclined. And the socket is subject to green water over the bow. It's a nasty place for a socket like that.

And secondly, it's not a sailboat light. The light intensity when the boat is heeled has two different requirements, one for power boats, and one for sailboats. That one isn't certified for sailboats, though if you never sail at night, it's being used as a powerboat, so I guess it doesn't matter. The original Aqua Signal bow light, which I believe is still available, is also power boat certified only. Go figure.

The M boats have the bicolor light on the pulpit, on a bracket that's welded or screwed to the rail. Drill a hole in the top tube, near the light and on the bottom of the rail to keep rain out, and another one near either end of that top tube, and run the wire to the original bow light wire, somewhere on the port side. Or just run a new wire. Easier said than done, I know, but a clean job at least. The Aqua Signal Series 25 bicolor is suitable for sailboats, and I think it's what the M boats use.

Or maybe just make a short pedestal, even just a length of SS strip folded into a U, mounted on its side, to raise the bicolor high enough the clear the anchor, even when heeled.

Newell
First Officer

Post by Newell » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:09 pm

I wouldn't use that for a couple of reasons. First, it's pretty vulnerable sticking up like that, though you certainly could shorten it if you felt so inclined. And the socket is subject to green water over the bow. It's a nasty place for a socket like that.
Tom, I misreferenced Demitri, not interested in the light stalk, still looking at either new side lights or putting light on bow-pulpit. I like his anchor roller. My problem is overhang, since I have a specialized trailer that parks my Smart Car crossways in front of the X, there isn't much clearance for overhang of the roller. Probably will stow anchor on trailer while traveling and place on roller when launching. :macx:

DaveB
Admiral
Location: Cape Coral, Florida,1997 Mac. X, 2013 Merc.50hp Big Foot, sold 9/10/15

Post by DaveB » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:56 pm

I used this after install of u3 anchor for fortress11. works great and anchor is positioned centerline to bow.
The bow light is a 12inch plug in for night nav.
This 22inch bow roller will do also any type Danforth and plows types, Just the top bar holding anchor may have to be adjusted,
http://www.macgregorsailors.com/forum/v ... 78#p303645
I don't recommend any type anchor roller that is angled more than 5 degrees off center line due to chafe.
Those who have later MacX with Pulpit running lights have no problem.
My 1997 had to raise the bow running lights to clear the anchor, since I don't nav. at night ophen the 12 inch plug in works great and deck fitting is sealed.
The 12 inch plug in bow light works great but not to be used until you need it at night, so keep it below and use it when you need it, the water proof plug is good when sealed with cover, it may leak water if the 12 inch riser is put on but I never had a problem.
Getting a Pulpit bow light would be best but much harder to install.
Dave
Tomfoolery wrote:
Dimitri-2000X-Tampa wrote:Image

And secondly, it's not a sailboat light. The light intensity when the boat is heeled has two different requirements, one for power boats, and one for sailboats. That one isn't certified for sailboats, though if you never sail at night, it's being used as a powerboat, so I guess it doesn't matter. The original Aqua Signal bow light, which I believe is still available, is also power boat certified only. Go figure.

The M boats have the bicolor light on the pulpit, on a bracket that's welded or screwed to the rail. Drill a hole in the top tube, near the light and on the bottom of the rail to keep rain out, and another one near either end of that top tube, and run the wire to the original bow light wire, somewhere on the port side. Or just run a new wire. Easier said than done, I know, but a clean job at least. The Aqua Signal Series 25 bicolor is suitable for sailboats, and I think it's what the M boats use.

Or maybe just make a short pedestal, even just a length of SS strip folded into a U, mounted on its side, to raise the bicolor high enough the clear the anchor, even when heeled.