help with steering on 2000 26x mac

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
paul I
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Niagara Falls, NY 2000 26X w/Honda BF50 "NoneShallPass"

help with steering on 2000 26x mac

Post by paul I »

I have already searched the forum regarding steering issues but still have questions.

My steering had been starting to get more problematic and stiff and I planned on at least changing the cable this off season. Mr Murphy beat me to however and on the last sail of the season the steering locked up totally. While I might have been able to limp in by disconnecting the linkage and hugging the outboard while my son manned the throttle, I decided to take advantage of my Boat US towing package and got a tow in. The boat is now safely in my back yard and I have started to figure out what went wrong and plan out the off season repairs.

After getting the side panels off I found that the helm unit had cracked. This is it, removed from the boat. If you look close you can see the crack in the housing.

This is the rack and cable.

My first question is, after examining it closely, I cant find a single name or number on it. Anyone know the manufacturer? Is this the trouble prone Detmar stuff I've read about?

While there doesn't seem to be any true consensus on the merits of FB or NFB systems, I'm leaning toward a traditional system since that is all I've ever used on sailboats and I would like an autopilot some day. I also am leaning towards the Uflex Rotech T71FC.
http://uflexusa.ultraflexgroup.com/arti ... 21&art=494

I measured the mounting hole in the binnacle at 1.5". Finding a copy of the installation instructions on line here
http://www.cpperformance.com/Instructio ... -helms.pdf
tells me that I will need to enlarge this to 3.25 inches. I have a plan for that by drilling the three mounting holes first and use them to secure a wood backer to the inside of the binnacle. That will give me something to use for the pilot drill of the hole saw. Am I missing anything?

The cable length is a question. Measured end to end, including the rack, the original measures 8.5 feet. Using the guide at Eastern Marine (jacket length + 30" ), I get 96 inches on the nose. So I'm assuming this is an 8' cable but from all I've read here I would be better going to a 9' system for better fit. Yes?

This is the hole where the cable exits under the helm seat. I measured the diameter at 1.5 inches.

I found what I assume is the OEM rubber boot riding on the cable inside the boat. I just always thought it was missing. but it apparently got dislodged. I cant figure out how to get the boot off the old cable without cutting it (nothing seems to come apart... I tried), but I don't have a problem getting a new boot from BWY if need be. How and where is the boot actually mounted? If it mounts at the bulkhead I don't see a good way to secure it. The boot diameter is the same as the hole diameter and without some way to secure it to the bulkhead I don't see what is going to prevent the same thing from happening again. Does it mount to the stainless cable holder tube? Any suggestions or answers? Exactly how was it installed originally?

Any guidance, experience, tips or advise on any and all of this would be greatly appreciated.
133bhp
First Officer

Re: help with steering on 2000 26x mac

Post by 133bhp »

Its a detmar rack. I went with a UFlex Rotech 12' on my 2k X, although some are routed differently depending on who did it.

you can use a backing piece, but I simply used the same hole cutter that I used to enlarge the hole, to cut out a piece of cutting board (or wood) as a plug. tap it in the existing hole. you have them the pilot hole accept the hole cutter. Note, the wood is thick there, use decent cuter blades. I just about got through with a cheap Chinese cutter.

Boot? - usual crap mac tolerances, i.e it just sits in the hole in one of the concertina folds, (yours look too large?) Doesn't let anything in I can see? but a large grommet could reduce the Id/trap the boot? If I were to fix, I'd use a circular ring/trap the boot/screwed to the exterior.
Jane
Just Enlisted

Post by Jane »

As to your interest in accommodating an autopilot, somewhere a long time ago I read something here about the unit Viktor is designing won't work with certain steering systems. I tried to locate that info because I will likely be replacing my steering as well, but I couldn't find the relevant post. Anybody know?
paul I
First Officer
Location: Niagara Falls, NY 2000 26X w/Honda BF50 "NoneShallPass"

Post by paul I »

I have most of this sorted out, the Rotech system is ordered and should arrive any day. My remaining issue is the rubber boot for the steering. BWY does not have them in stock and they are unsure if more will become available. I cut the old steering cable to get the old boot off. It looks like this:

Is anything missing? Is the large hole at the end normal? I tried placing it in the hole at the transom and it is definitely going to need something to keep it in place. Can anyone give me any insight here?
Carioca
Chief Steward

Post by Carioca »

My compass is on the binacle, and the new uflex lump messed up my navigation, lucky I speak some chinese!!! :macx: