outboard kicker bracket with rudders

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

bahama bound
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

outboard kicker bracket with rudders

Post by bahama bound » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:27 pm

So we are gonna head to the keys for 2-3 weeks between now and Christmas and I had a really nice 8 horse sail drive motor with only a couple hours run time .so I bought a really nice drop bracket off Craigslist and when I mock it up or looks like it will really interfere with the rudders when they are in the up position .anybody else have this problem ? This is a electric start motor with controls .was gonna mount controls on the other side of pedestal as my etec and when we do a island cruise in the spring it will be comforting to have that back up .not to mention easier on fuel than the etec 90 ???

Chinook
Admiral

Re: outboard kicker bracket with rudders

Post by Chinook » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:01 pm

How much does that 9 hp kicker weigh? Might make that stern a bit too heavy. Regarding retractable kicker motor mounts, most I've seen, including ours, are installed on the starboard side. Our 2.5hp Suzuki fits nicely there, with plenty of clearance for the rudders. Not sure how large the cowling is with that 9hp motor, but you might have difficulty getting it to tilt far enough forward to avoid dragging the lower unit in the water while running on the main engine. I have to lower our motor about 2 notches on the mount when I'm motoring on the main engine. This gets the cowling far enough out so that I can tilt the kicker all the way, without hitting the back of the X.

bahama bound
Captain

Post by bahama bound » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:50 pm

I was worried about the weight as well .its a 2 stroke 8 horse Nissan .feels fairly light .i don't know .kinda rethinking the kicker idea .could leave it on a inflatable unless needed ??? But I saved a bunch of weight by going with the etec 90 over a four stroke .

Chinook
Admiral

Post by Chinook » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:36 am

All boats involve compromise, but when trying to do big things with a small boat like a Mac, it seems like everything involves compromise. My 2.5hp kicker weighs 28lbs. It's light enough to be carried on the stern without completely messing up my trim. It's also light enough to be manually lifted off the retractable motor mount and installed on my inflatable dinghy, while I'm out on the water. If it weighed 10 lbs or so more, I wouldn't trust myself in removing it from the mount and attaching it on the dinghy, or replacing it on the mount, while bouncing around in the water. I'd definitely run serious risk of either dropping it to the bottom or wrenching my back, or both. One compromise comes with the fact that my 2.5hp kicker is really too small to realistically function as an emergency auxiliary power source. True, it does push the Mac at perhaps 4 or 5 kts on smooth water with no wind or current. However, in rough, windy conditions it quickly becomes overpowered and is virtually useless as a power source. Also, it has a built in fuel tank and it would be extremely difficult to fill the tank while out in rough conditions. I do use it for slow speed trolling on the Mac, when I'm fishing with downrigger for salmon. Other than that, if my main engine conked out, I figure I'll have to rely on either sails or VHF radio to get out of my fix. The kicker would be useful in maneuvering to a dock after reaching safe harbor, but not much else. To be a true useful kicker, a larger engine would be needed, and then I violate my weight considerations for being practical as a dinghy motor. As for leaving it on the dinghy while underway, I never do that. I am not willing to risk trailing my dinghy with the motor attached. I realize that some folks carry larger, heavier kickers, and use a pulley system or davit to install it. I prefer a simpler solution, and accept the fact that my little 2.5 hp has distinct limitations as an auxiliary.

bahama bound
Captain

Post by bahama bound » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:25 am

Maybe I worry too much ,! I thought that if you pull a boat 750 0r a thousand miles and you had a engine issue it could impact your trip so it would be good to have a back up ? But you guys' drove cross country for your Bahama trip . I think I may put the bracket on and use this motor for the zodiac and if needed I could stick it on the bracket .i have powered my boat with this engine in the past and it did really well .

bartmac
Captain

Post by bartmac » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:18 pm

This is what we did....3.3hp from memory....lengthened arms so travel and in water could be achieved.The thought of having a second method of gaining some forward motion is comforting.Cant imagine it would overcome much tidal/wind/current but in still waters seems to push our 26x slowly
http://www.macgregorsailors.com/modt/in ... ?view=1770