Helm seat

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Gater Dunn
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Victoria B.C. Canada N48º25.506 W123º18.178 OakBay Marina

Helm seat

Post by Gater Dunn » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:45 am

I removed my helm seat. It bugged me. between it and the pedestal my feet wound up facing the wrong direction. Also it hinged on the port side so when coming up the ladder you had less leverage to lift it, and it only when up to vertical because of the Bimini, so then you had to dance around it and suck in your gut to get past the throttle controls. if it hinged to starboard I might have left it alone, or carved an arc out of the front of it to give leg room to turn around.
So I'm going to put a padded life line across the transom and I'm thinking of a 6-8 inch arched bench to sit on I seem to remember one in the mods section.
anyone have any other suggestions.

Divecoz
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: PORT CHARLOTTE FLORIDA 05 M Mercury 50 H.P. Big Foot Bill at Boats 4 Sail is my Hero

Re: Helm seat

Post by Divecoz » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:00 am

Are you thinking of something like a removable leaning post? But one you could sit on instead of just lean against?

bartmac
Captain

Post by bartmac » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:57 pm

I removed our helmseat whilst I was renovating our Mac...and it never made it back....more room in the cockpit as a result and opens up the stern....was going to make false floor over the rear cockpit area where it steps down ,instead installed a series of rosewood stepping pads....cut outs/left overs from our new kitchen bench.Spend many hours coating with varnish with a non slip additive...noticed when stepping down into those area prior pads fibreglass creaking so this fixed that and the pads are high enough the top of the steering mechanism is below the pad level

Divecoz
Admiral
Location: PORT CHARLOTTE FLORIDA 05 M Mercury 50 H.P. Big Foot Bill at Boats 4 Sail is my Hero

Post by Divecoz » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:46 pm

I can imagine that a removable Pedistal seat of some sort could really open up that area. It wouldnt take much work for either the pedistal or a Catch net to be installed. I do think you would need some sort of safety system to keep people and ( Large) things, from just washing overboard
Divecoz wrote:Are you thinking of something like a removable leaning post? But one you could sit on instead of just lean against?

Seapup
Captain

Post by Seapup » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:50 am

Are you thinking of something like a removable leaning post? But one you could sit on instead of just lean against?
The leaning posts I looked at were pricey for what they were. I found casting seats are similar and and under $40. There are a couple styles. I think highlander has used the triangular ones in his stern rail seats.

I have been using a straight casting seat above the original seat and am very happy with it. I cut off the Macgregor seat base and used the original seatback to mount it on. You could make a new base if you didn't want to sacrifice the mac seat though. It hinges out of the way easily since its small now. I moved my pedestal up and back so its easy to steer from the new seat and see over the cabin.

Divecoz
Admiral

Post by Divecoz » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:57 pm

Hi Pup: Is your back porch and cockpit floor mod in the mod section? Wonering how you fastened that decking to the deck/sole ??
Seapup wrote:
The leaning posts I looked at were pricey for what they were. I found casting seats are similar and and under $40. There are a couple styles. I think highlander has used the triangular ones in his stern rail seats.

I have been using a straight casting seat above the original seat and am very happy with it. I cut off the Macgregor seat base and used the original seatback to mount it on. You could make a new base if you didn't want to sacrifice the mac seat though. It hinges out of the way easily since its small now. I moved my pedestal up and back so its easy to steer from the new seat and see over the cabin.

Gater Dunn
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Victoria B.C. Canada N48º25.506 W123º18.178 OakBay Marina

Post by Gater Dunn » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:11 pm

Divecoz wrote:Are you thinking of something like a removable leaning post? But one you could sit on instead of just lean against?
I was thinking of a leaning post like Seapup's but with the seat at the normal seat level then I saw Seapup's and I have seat and deck envy, Dude you may cost me boat bucks.
for starters It will have to be a life line with water weenie padding along the top and a simple wood plank to sit on

Divecoz
Admiral

Post by Divecoz » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:06 pm

As you see on the right I am an M owner, so its a little different .. What I think , I would like is to remove the Helm seat entirely and install a Pedestal Base and a removable Pedestal and swivel seat. 1 side a seat and the other side a leaning Post type pad NOT UNLIKE .. what Seapup is showing in his pic's.I think that seat or one very much like it might well work for me. I could install a Nice Catch Net and that would allow a lot of area to move around on even on an M .. Should be much easier to use a ladder to get in with no helm seat in the way.

Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:10 pm

Gater Dunn wrote:I removed my helm seat. It bugged me. between it and the pedestal my feet wound up facing the wrong direction. Also it hinged on the port side so when coming up the ladder you had less leverage to lift it, and it only when up to vertical because of the Bimini, so then you had to dance around it and suck in your gut to get past the throttle controls. if it hinged to starboard I might have left it alone, or carved an arc out of the front of it to give leg room to turn around.
So I'm going to put a padded life line across the transom and I'm thinking of a 6-8 inch arched bench to sit on I seem to remember one in the mods section.
anyone have any other suggestions.
Well here,s what I bought for a stern seat for my :mac19: , can be mounted on a post or other !
http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab1/ ... 9085f7.jpg

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab1/ ... 737bcd.jpg

seat opens up for a beer cooler or storage
http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab1/ ... 8ca7b7.jpg

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab1/ ... ba36cf.jpg

2 built-in rod holders which also double as a drop -in back rest
http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab1/ ... 30aa86.jpg

Comes with removable built in swivel base
http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab1/ ... ba9af5.jpg

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab1/ ... d0b36b.jpg

Just a diff mod with 4 in 1 uses for the price of 1
But I must mention I bought this seat @ a marine flea market for around $20. I think, can be mounted on a post also hope this gives u some idea,s

J 8)