Remove head walls and door

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

silver5040
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Remove head walls and door

Post by silver5040 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:45 am

I'm looking to remove the head walls that have been installed on my MacGregor 26x. They are installed directly on the right has you come down from the cockpit. I can't see any particular sections that, when removed, would cause problems with leaks or the like but I'm a newbie with modifying yachts and don't want to cause damage.

Has anyone tried this and succeeded, or failed?

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Retcoastie
Captain

Re: Remove head walls and door

Post by Retcoastie » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:41 pm

It could be doable but the structure adds stability to the deck. You would need to add some type post to support the deck if you removed the walls. Think of how the post on the port side works. Without additional support walking on the deck could be very tricky.

Ken

bartmac
Captain

Post by bartmac » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:00 pm

There's a post directly opposite the head....so probably a good idea to have one if you take out the head

Herschel
Captain

Post by Herschel » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:17 pm

Any thoughts would be appreciated
I agree with the structural comments about supporting the deck on the starboard side. I think that is critical. I will say, however, that removing the enclosed head could adversely impact the value of your boat. I have seen several comments over the years on more than one forum about how having an enclosed head makes the boating experience more palatable for novice and non-sailors, as well as those sailors amongst us that prefer a little privacy and/or "insolation" from odors and sounds likely to offend. Since the cabin makes the Mac a nice short cruising boat, most owners/users are going to try overnights from time to time, thereby creating the necessity for head visits. Just my thoughts. Might want to poll members of your sailing "family" on this one. :|

RussMT
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by RussMT » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:11 pm

Herschel wrote:I agree with the structural comments about supporting the deck on the starboard side. I think that is critical. I will say, however, that removing the enclosed head could adversely impact the value of your boat. I have seen several comments over the years on more than one forum about how having an enclosed head makes the boating experience more palatable for novice and non-sailors, as well as those sailors amongst us that prefer a little privacy and/or "insolation" from odors and sounds likely to offend. Since the cabin makes the Mac a nice short cruising boat, most owners/users are going to try overnights from time to time, thereby creating the necessity for head visits. Just my thoughts. Might want to poll members of your sailing "family" on this one. :|
Agree with this.

If you will have guests or females onboard, the privacy is a plus.

Mac26Mpaul
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Mac26Mpaul » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:41 pm

When I was last going to sell the boat (but changed my mind obviously 8) ), I had some people who really liked my boat and travelled quite a way to see it but when they realized I have taken the head door off, they changed their minds :| I explained that I chopped up the door to use it for something else, but it would obviously be easy enough to make a replacement but they weren't interested.

For us, it took us three years to realize that the head in the M is so much more roomy and comfortable (and the bulkhead space is more usable in the head) without a door on it!! For number 2s, the simple rule is that all personnel not involved in the task just have to muster on the upper deck. :wink: I was going to put a curtain on it but haven't got around to it..

K9Kampers
Admiral

Post by K9Kampers » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:55 am

After a day onboard, you can ask your crew "who knows the difference between TP and the head curtain"... when one replies don't know, ya say SO YOURE THE ONE!! :D