Installing a bilge pump

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

silver5040
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Installing a bilge pump

Post by silver5040 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:32 pm

Hi,

I have a MacGregor 26X which has been in a barn for 5 years and has just been put back in the water. There aren't any major leaks in the cabin (miraculously) but I have got a good depth of water in the bilge (I calling the areas under the boards the bilge e.g. under the stern bed; under the sink and under the aft bed).

I'd rather not stick a pipe down there and pump it over the edge by hand but I have no clue how to go about installing a bilge pump e.g. what to buy; where to install etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

yukonbob
Admiral
Sailboat: Other

Re: Installing a bilge pump

Post by yukonbob » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:11 pm

Wet/dry shop vac to get it out now, then decide if you really need or want a bilge pump.

RussMT
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by RussMT » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:20 pm

yukonbob wrote:Wet/dry shop vac to get it out now, then decide if you really need or want a bilge pump.
I second this.

Frankly, I don't see a need for a bilge pump in these boats. I bet you won't either.

Divecoz
Admiral
Location: PORT CHARLOTTE FLORIDA 05 M Mercury 50 H.P. Big Foot Bill at Boats 4 Sail is my Hero

Post by Divecoz » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:27 pm

Make mine a 3rd vote ... I do have 3 bilge pumps but its because I have installed beneath the water line, thru hulls and 1 is a , Just In Case I hit something real bad..So for now my vote too is a shop vac!!
RussMT wrote:
yukonbob wrote:Wet/dry shop vac to get it out now, then decide if you really need or want a bilge pump.
I second this.

Frankly, I don't see a need for a bilge pump in these boats. I bet you won't either.

bartmac
Captain

Post by bartmac » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:58 pm

well....I installed 2x 12v bilge pumps...one on each side just in case and have a manual one(not yet installed)....I know but it just seems wrong not to have any pumping capacity at all....must admit a wetdry vacuum looks good but my extension cord isn't long enough!!! :D

K9Kampers
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by K9Kampers » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:01 am

Go old school... use a sponge! :)

RussMT
Admiral

Post by RussMT » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:34 pm

K9Kampers wrote:Go old school... use a sponge! :)
That's what I use. The cord reaches well also.

RobertB
Admiral

Post by RobertB » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:01 pm

Maybe the original poster has more water than he wants to handle with a sponge. I agree that a sponge is fine for minor rain leaks or splashes from big waves, but what if he needs to pump out several gallons? What if he wants to keep his boat from sinking if there is a real issue and he is not around? Or if he does not appreciate fiberglass shards when squeezing out his sponge :?

I have considered this too, and have not acted since the amount of water I experience is minor and I keep my boat in the driveway (on the trailer). But if I were to add electric bilge pump(s), I think one of the low profile Whale pumps would work well in out boats http://www.whalepumps.com/Marine/produc ... art-Family. Image
A single pump on a :macm: would be best just in front of the batteries. To get the most water out, I would need three - adding one each side outboard of the ballast tank. I am not familiar enough with the :macx: to make a specific recommendation.
The pump should be wired to a reliable electric source - in fact directly to the battery bypassing the breaker box. Wires should be sealed and high up as possible.
The pump discharge is likely best routed to a though hull above the water line in the stern - a backflow valve would be good here. Keep in mind that a pump rated for 500 gph may only put out 100 gph considering how they are rated and a typical installation may operate at a lower voltage, have piping losses, and losses due to the vertical head between the pump and the discharge.

Hope this answers the question and welcome tot he board.

Mac26Mpaul
Admiral

Post by Mac26Mpaul » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:13 pm

You guys with Ms that think you will never need a bilge pump, just be careful you don't get caught by a fast running tide when drying out on a bank where you have totally misjudged the angle, like I did on our last trip, or you may find yourself wishing you had one :!:
I was happily playing in the water with the kids, until I realized the rudder post dam drain holes were under water! In fact I don't have a photo from it, but the water got to the point where it was just about to go in where the motor steering rod enters the boat...
I quickly cut some little bits of the blue foam from the cockpit floor and stuffed them into some bits of a plastic bag and into the holes.
I dived in the boat and lifted the matress and boards to find probably a few hundred litres of water under the berth ( the rear of the matresses was just in the water - you can see one on the cabin top drying out in the first photo). For about an hour I used a large cup to fill up a bowl and passed it to the misses who dumped it in the cockpit :cry:
I sure wish I had a bilge pump! I do have a manual little pump
https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_item ... lutePage=1
that fits on my yabby pump (not sure what you call yabby pumps in the US/Canada)
It works reasonably well and moves a fair bit of water however it was too much of a pain to try and use in that confined space and the hose I have on it wasn't long enough anyway...

You don't need worry about this problem with the X, but to the guys with Ms who think you will never need a bilge pump, just make sure you don't get caught out by a fast running tide in a creek like I did here! :wink:

If you don't leave your boat in the water, and are likely to be there if water somehow ends up in it. You could make up one with pump like this
Attach enough hose to get from at least the rear of the berth up out into the cockpit. add a bit of extra length to the wires and put some alligator clips on. This way you can move the pump around to the different areas that will trap water.

yukonbob
Admiral

Post by yukonbob » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:33 am

No...no....and no...I still keep a mandated 300g/h manual bilge pump as regular emergency equipment. Might get caught by CG if you tried claiming a large cup as a bailing device. I have given thought to an electric pump for a situation if say during the work week if we sprung a leak and the bilge began to fill (although unlikely with no thru hulls) ...however with our power loads we do not need shore power so the pump would only last as long as the battery it is connect to...maybe a half day before the boat would sink anyways (almost with + floatation). The second is of course as DC mentioned...hitting an object underway. This is about the only reason I can come up with justifying putting whole in my hull.

Sumner
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by Sumner » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:09 am

yukonbob wrote:... The second is of course as DC mentioned...hitting an object underway.....
Exactly why I put one in. The water even out of sight of land in Florida is quite skinny and there are objects out there that this could happen with. Quite remote but for me anyway having something that is trying to get the water out while I'm either trying to slow it down or get closer to shore is a nice option.

Right now I only have a pump on the port side and with the S anyway that isn't good with the ballast tank hump separating the two sides. If the boat started taking on water on the side where the pump wasn't then it would start to list that way and then raise the other side with the pump higher and the water wouldn't get to that pump for quite a while. I had bought a second pump and need to get it in the boat on the starboard side before I go back in the water.

I think this is even a bigger deal if you sail alone and in a lot of new water that you are there for the first time.

The hole in the boat doesn't worry me as it is well above water line and pretty inconspicuous. My install is here....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner ... de-29.html

I went with 700 gph pumps (Shurflo model #355-110-10). Most of these are rated with no head and no hose restriction. By the time you add that in their true output might be 1/2 of the rating. For the Endeavour I have two 2000 gph pumps with one above the other and sitting on the very bottom is a 500 gph nuisance pump that is keeping any rain water out and the boat does get some of that. The boat has one of the six 80 watt panels connected to the battery sitting in the yard and that keeps the battery up and powers the pump when needed. I have a friend checking on it every 3-4 months and it has worked with no problems like that,

Sumner

============================
Our MacGregor 26-S

Our Endeavour 37

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links

yukonbob
Admiral

Post by yukonbob » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:30 am

Sumner wrote:
yukonbob wrote:... The second is of course as DC mentioned...hitting an object underway.....
My other thought with this could be a portable pump that would plug into the DC outlet or clip directly to the battery, secure the hose out the companion way.My big concern up here is hitting a dead head (a semi-submerged or bobbing log) at full speed.

Sumner
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by Sumner » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:38 am

yukonbob wrote:
Sumner wrote:
My other thought with this could be a portable pump that would plug into the DC outlet or clip directly to the battery, secure the hose out the companion way.My big concern up here is hitting a dead head (a semi-submerged or bobbing log) at full speed.
Why not just install one and be done with it like I should of done with the second one in the first place :? . It is a one day job. It will be there when you need it with no messing around :) ,

Sumner

yukonbob
Admiral

Post by yukonbob » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:46 am

No thru hulls and sea cocks.

RussMT
Admiral

Post by RussMT » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:47 am

yukonbob wrote:No thru hulls and sea cocks.
Gotta go with this. Thru hulls and sea cocks are one of the main reasons for sea water getting into the boat in the first place. That's one of the benefits of our boats, they don't have holes below the water line. If you install a bilge pump, the exhaust MUST be well above the water line. And remember, sailboats heel and the water line changes when it does. If not done properly, you could create a massive hole to sink your boat.

If I was to do a bilge pump, makes so much sense to have it portable. You can put the suction hose where needed rather than guess which compartment will get wet.

The Mac has a surprisingly strong hull. Many have been tossed and hit things without breaching the hull. In fact, I can't recall a single story of one getting holed. I think people are kidding themselves to think that if they hit something hard enough to cause water ingress that a little 12v pump could keep up.
Nothing wrong with trying and for a small leak (like described above) it may work. In fact, that's a great story Paul and a lesson for those in fast tidal waters.
If I sailed offshore, out of sight of land I would definitely install a bilge pump just in case.