Sewing machines on the cheap - what to look for

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
Tomfoolery
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Sewing machines on the cheap - what to look for

Post by Tomfoolery »

Yeah, my FIL has an older LS1 (no zigzag), and it's a brute for a portable (with walking foot). But I got the Pfaff for cheap, it's heavy (35 lb), and it's geared a bit slow (750 spm) at least compared to a Singer 201-2 (gear-driven cast iron beast that gets a lot of respect, but only weighs 30 lb :wink: ). The Sailrite is something like 45 lb, has a 1.5A motor and top speed of only 500 spm, which makes it a bit of a tractor - just what you need for heavy Sunbrella and multi layers of sail cloth.

I have a roller foot coming, and I'm in the process of ordering replacement 30-gauge window material and V-69 thread. I may also try the slightly smaller 100/16 needle (vs the 110/18's that came with it), as that's also a recommended size for the V-69 poly thread, in the hopes that it puts a little less load on the machine. We'll see how it goes. I'll probably try a few simple repairs before climbing into vinyl window replacement, though, just to get a feel for it.
Sumner
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by Sumner »

dthiesmeyer wrote:... I realize that this is not a 'cheap' solution for your boat sewing needs, but I guarantee that you will be happy with a Sailrite machine. This is not a commercial, just a statement of fact.......
I'll second that :) :) . Also when a part breaks or the machine gets out of time or any number of other things you will have excellent help and support and it will be free unless it is a part and their parts are in stock and very reasonably priced. Sooner or later if you do much you will need that kind of support.

I have a friend that got a good heavy duty machine that was used in a furniture factory at a great price. He has a hard time using it as it is just too fast and hard to control. People that sew for a living need a machine like that, we don't. He also has the help of a friend that serviced the machines at the factory and without it he wouldn't be sewing at all.

Sailrite has excellent machines and have done some add-ons like the heavier available flywheel and great case. If you add some of these to the 'clone' machines you are about the same price and without their service. I've never regretted for a moment doing business with them.

We did start with ....

... an older Singer 99 that did work and there is support for it on the internet and I've kept it, but...

.... the Sailrite machine is just so much easier to use.

Sumner

============================
1300 miles to the Bahamas and back -- 2015

The MacGregor 26-S

The Endeavour 37

Trips to Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links
sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike »

I would of loved a sailrite machine but while good value for money I just couldnt justify the close to $2000Au to buy one new.

I did see one secondhand but even though it was close to 10 years old the asking was still $1000

You have to do a lot of sewing to make them pay for themselves at those sort of dollars
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

sailboatmike wrote:You have to do a lot of sewing to make them pay for themselves at those sort of dollars
That's why I put "on the cheap" in the subject line - I only need to make a few repairs, and didn't want to spend a boat buck. :cry: I need a couple of new sails, and would rather put it toward that. :wink:

I have V-69 and V-92 thread on the way, along with 30-gauge vinyl window material, plus basting tape, and I have a bunch of 100/16 and 110/18 needles already, plus a roller foot. Materials are due Tuesday. So I guess I'll find out soon enough if this will work for me. :|
Sumner
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by Sumner »

sailboatmike wrote:I would of loved a sailrite machine but while good value for money I just couldnt justify the close to $2000Au to buy one new.

I did see one secondhand but even though it was close to 10 years old the asking was still $1000

You have to do a lot of sewing to make them pay for themselves at those sort of dollars
They hold their value, so when you do get out it probably hasn't cost you that much to of owned one.

The items that Ruth and I made for the two boats would probably of cost $8,000 or more if we would of bought them.

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner ... index.html

One of the bigger jobs, say the dodger for the Endeavour, would of paid for the machine alone. The other thing is that you get to do custom features that would just cost too much if you had someone else do it. I got to where I really enjoyed sewing when Ruth had foot surgery and could't do much for a while. It can be quite rewarding.

It isn't for everyone but I'll bet some of you would really enjoy it once you got started with a good machine,

Sumner

============================
1300 miles to the Bahamas and back -- 2015

The MacGregor 26-S

The Endeavour 37

Trips to Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links
sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike »

I do love sewing, my skill level is far below what it could be but I give it a red hot go.

I have a plain stitch industrial which works well but is a bit quick until you get used to it the stitch quality is sensational
Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale »

Tom...if it isn't too Communist I'm sure we can put together a group of three in WNY to split a Sailrite machine

My pal and I regularly shuffle between BUF and ALB so I bet we could make that work
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

As much as I'd love a Sailrite, it's too late - I already bought a Pfaff 259, and have been doing canvas repair with it, especially window replacement. It's working rather well, in fact. I can almost sew a straight line now. :)
The Mutt
Captain
Location: Springwood, NSW, devinetemptations.com/macgregor26x.htm

Post by The Mutt »

I have a 1958 Singer 201P with walking foot, I'm looking to add a bias binding attachment, I'm finding that my hands get really sore after a few hours of adding binding around a job.

I find it great for canvas and leather, part of our work involves using an industrial sewing machine also a Singer, the main advantage of the industrial machine over my Singer is the thickness of the material that it can sew.

My current projects are for our Triumph Stag, so far I have made some old style tool rolls, a pad to protect the boot top luggage rack and a wind deflector behind the front seats.

I bought 4 old sewing machines for $50.00 and sold a couple of them for $50.00 each.

I also do my share of hand sewing using sailmakers needles and my sailors palm when jobs are a bit too thick for my Singer.

Fair Winds
Glenn
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

There are walking foot attachments available, even for my old Pfaff, but I have no idea how effective they are. As it is, I sort of have to pull the material to help it along. But with a little care, the work is getting done, and the seams are looking better. :P

I made a video of my first foray into window replacment, and a new thread (no pun intended), hoping it would encourage someone else to give it a shot.

http://www.macgregorsailors.com/forum/v ... =8&t=26133